Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2011, 11:40   #1

Boat: Pearson 323
Location for Onboard Power Components

I have a general question regarding location for various electrical power supply components on the boat.

For example, I currently have a completely sealed battery charger (i.e. waterproof), located in the port locker. It is small, with a max current of about 10 amps. I am replacing it with a larger, more capable unit (maybe a charger/inverter, haven't decided yet). These larger units all have vent louvers in the case, I assume to allow natural convection to cool the unit during operation.

So, is it okay to put one of these non-waterproof chargers in the cockpit locker, or should I look for a place inside the cabin? Of course, I would put it in an area shielded from the locker top-opening door, but still there is potential for moisture or condensation in the locker.

If located inside of the cabin, is there a big issue with heat generation inside? Also if inside, I assume it can't be boxed in -- needs free-flow of air for cooling, correct?

Same questions for an isolation transformer.

Frankly I don't have much room inside of the cabin, so I hope it can be the locker.
StringBimini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2011, 12:01   #2

Boat: 36' Cascade
Re: Location for Onboard Power Components

Gotta keep it dry
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2011, 12:10   #3

Boat: C&C 38'

Our charger is fan cooled. It is located on the aft bulkhead of the quarter berth. We don't pile so much stuff on the quarter berth that air flow is blocked off. The fan doesn't come on all the time. It stays dry and we can hear it when the fan comes on. We also have system voltage and current draw displayed by LED meters. It is a comfort to hear and see that everything is operating normally.
Old 31-12-2011, 13:11   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

As long as it’s not exposed to water (kept dry), atmospheric water vapour shouldn’t hurt it. A cockpit locker should be an adequately dry location for a battery charger.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 13:30   #5

Boat: Pearson 323

Thanks for your replies everyone. I will put one of them high in the cockpit locker, and if room allows I will put the other component inside.
StringBimini is offline   Reply With Quote