Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2020, 17:44   #1
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Used to be San Francisco Bay, now PNW, soon to be the Caribbean
Boat: Jeanneau 43 DS and soon Leopard 45
Location of inverter (close to the battery)

I have been trying to install an inverter. Space and/or cabling has been an issue. I finally got a standard (non-marine) inverter and it actually can fit very nicely next to one of the two batteries I have . I have read that inverters should not be in the same compartment with batteries. What is the reason for that? Would an installation like the one in the photo work? If not, what would be the problems? In particular, safety.

FWIW, if this is a go, I plan to return this and buy one from Energizer (similar size) that has a remote so I only turn it on for short durations when I need it. In any case, it will be rarely used, I just need a high wattage inverter when I need one.

Any insight will be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1921.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	425.9 KB
ID:	217786  
Tenedos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 18:35   #2

Boat: Amel 53, Super Maramu
Re: Location of inverter (close to the battery)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenedos View Post
I have been trying to install an inverter. Space and/or cabling has been an issue. I finally got a standard (non-marine) inverter and it actually can fit very nicely next to one of the two batteries I have . I have read that inverters should not be in the same compartment with batteries. What is the reason for that? Would an installation like the one in the photo work? If not, what would be the problems? In particular, safety.

FWIW, if this is a go, I plan to return this and buy one from Energizer (similar size) that has a remote so I only turn it on for short durations when I need it. In any case, it will be rarely used, I just need a high wattage inverter when I need one.

There are several reasons for NOT putting an inverter inside your battery box!

First, batteries give off corrosive acid gases that will destroy the circuit boards and connections in short order.

Second, batteries also give off explosive hydrogen gas. Confined in a battery box, the smallest spark can set that off.

JUST DON”T DO IT.

And get a real marine inverter. Yes, it is more expensive. But it is made for the environment. Contrary to the whining you will hear, a marine inverter is NOT more expensive because of the label. Corrosion protection, and proper wiring standards are worth it.
SVHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 18:51   #3
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVHarmonie View Post
There are several reasons for NOT putting an inverter inside your battery box!

First, batteries give off corrosive acid gases that will destroy the circuit boards and connections in short order.

Second, batteries also give off explosive hydrogen gas. Confined in a battery box, the smallest spark can set that off.

JUST DON”T DO IT.

And get a real marine inverter. Yes, it is more expensive. But it is made for the environment. Contrary to the whining you will hear, a marine inverter is NOT more expensive because of the label. Corrosion protection, and proper wiring standards are worth it.
Thanks, this is informative. I am ok with the price of a marine inverter, it is the size that kills me.
Old 20-06-2020, 20:27   #4

Boat: Tartan 3800

The higher quality inverters, Victron, Magnum Energy, even Xantrex live up to their specifications. With those brands if you buy a 1500w inverter and you run it on a 90 degree day at 1500 watts for an hour or whatever it will do it.

I looked at the Energizer inverter and I am very skeptical that it would do that. At 1500w perhaps it would work for a few minutes on a cool day then shut down.

You should keep the inverter separate from the batteries for the reasons stated upthread
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 20:33   #5

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

i brought a cheap non-marine inverter a while ago. didn't expect it to last...but wanted to test some systems

however it was advertised as pure sine wave...and it wasn't

fortunately i got my money back. certainly can't trust 'cheap' !

cheers,

cheers,
Old 20-06-2020, 21:06   #6

Boat: Nordic 44

My Heart 2000 modified sine wave inverter, now about 35 years old is mounted to a bulkhead in the engine space. Although I sometime motor for many hours it works in the engine space heat without fail.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 22:34   #7
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Would Xantrex Xpower 1500 Inverter Gfci count?
Old 20-06-2020, 22:54   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVHarmonie View Post
First, batteries give off corrosive acid gases that will destroy the circuit boards and connections in short order. Second, batteries also give off explosive hydrogen gas.
Is this true for all batteries?

I would have thought that most modern (marine) batteries are fully enclosed and do _not_ emit anything.
250224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2020, 04:18   #9

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3534 View Post

I would have thought that most modern (marine) batteries are fully enclosed and do _not_ emit anything.

The risk is there for all lead acid batteries, I think. Lower for AGMs and gels which are valve-regulated, but they can still vent. Not sure how it works with "sealed" automotive batteries, but given there's risk of explosion if not somehow vented, I expect they can off-gas too.

-Chris
Old 21-06-2020, 04:46   #10

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3534 View Post

Really good point regarding anything that’s not an open lead/acid battery.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2020, 05:08   #11

Boat: Tartan 40
Location of inverter (close to the battery)

I installed a new magnum charger inverter this winter next to batteries which makes cabling safer and easier. But then also had an airtight vented battery box made to isolate the inverter from the batteries. That’s even though my batteries are lifeline AGMs
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2020, 06:13   #12

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Really good point regarding anything that’s not an open lead/acid battery.
The cargo pants I was wearing one day while working over the top of one of our VRLA banks... would say otherwise.

-Chris
Old 21-06-2020, 10:51   #13

A further caution on Inverters, Marine or otherwise. None are ignition protected. So if you have a gasoline engine the inverter should NOT be mounted in the engine compartment.
Jazzrockskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2020, 11:32   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenedos View Post

Don’t know your boat

Battery chargers , inverters generate heat and need to be located in a area with good ventilation, heat dissipation

Electronic gear must never get wet , moist , splashed ...
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2020, 12:11   #15
Marine Service Provider

I would put an inverter as close to the house batteries as possible to keep the cable runs as short as possible.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, inverter