Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2015, 11:52   #1

Boat: Cal 2-46
Looking for a gimballed induction marine stove

Hello!

Wasn't sure exactly where to post this question, so took a chance here.

I ran out of propane a couple weeks ago and it turns out the aluminum horizontal tanks are long out of certification, and cost about $750USD to replace. The stove is old, has no thermocouples or electronic ignition, and needs to be changed as well.

I'm trying to find an electric gimballed marine stove with an induction cooktop. I've read a few posts that Force10 used to make one in Europe, but I can't find any information on it.

I have seen their ceramic radiant model which is my backup plan, but I'd much prefer induction for the efficiency and temperature control.

Does anyone know of one that's still in production?

PS - Yes I have the inverter, bank, and charging capacity to handle the cooking load!
glambx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 12:30   #2

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)
Re: Looking for a gimballed induction marine stove

I'm installing integrated induction cook top on a gimballed counter top and a separete fixed electric oven and make a custom gimballed tray holder inside the oven..
Not the answer you were looking for but gives much more choices.

BR Teddy
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 12:53   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
I'm installing integrated induction cook top on a gimballed counter top and a separete fixed electric oven and make a custom gimballed tray holder inside the oven..
Not the answer you were looking for but gives much more choices.

BR Teddy
*nod*

Right now I have a little portable Salton induction cooktop sitting on top of my gimballed gas stove with a thin silicon mat on it. Works well at sea; just wishing for something a little more permanent.

I suppose it would be an option to buy the Force10 ceramic electric for the oven and build a nice insert for an induction cooker but I'm quite surprised no one makes, as far as I can tell, an actual gimballed marine induction stove. It seems so obviously the right thing to do.

Can't spare the room for a separate gimballed countertop, but great idea.
Old 04-08-2015, 21:54   #4

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Maybe this http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp...217&id=1311826 will do with a standard stowe ?
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 05:03   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Here you are: http://www.gn-espace.com/Content/Doc...7fxYy7b27Lm_-w

Looks like an excellent plan. I could see this on my own boat, particularly an electric convection oven with microwave. What a PITA to use the microwave when the boat is heeled, which is just the time you'd prefer to be microwaving something rather than doing real cooking.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 06:10   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
Maybe this http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp...217&id=1311826 will do with a standard stowe ?
Possibly... but I can't even find a fixed marine stove that would fit. Good idea, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Here you are: http://www.gn-espace.com/Content/Doc...7fxYy7b27Lm_-w

Looks like an excellent plan. I could see this on my own boat, particularly an electric convection oven with microwave. What a PITA to use the microwave when the boat is heeled, which is just the time you'd prefer to be microwaving something rather than doing real cooking.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
The URL 404s, but was it the stove housing they make you were linking to?

Another interesting option. I'll email them and see if they can put together a complete package with convection oven and 2-zone induction cooker.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:35   #7

We have a single burner induction cooker and made a top for it that fits on our gimbal-ed propane stove - works quite well.............
CatboatWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 11:18   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatboatWilly View Post
We have a single burner induction cooker and made a top for it that fits on our gimbal-ed propane stove - works quite well.............
Exactly what I'm doing right now, minus the top. My present cooktop fits perfectly from front to back, so I might just make a cutting board to fill the other 1/3 of the stove's top.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:54   #9
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"10 lb Horizontal Aluminum Propane Tank
Mfg Part #: 10lbALh Our Price: $283.63"
And that's just the first web hit I got. I'd assume there are cheaper. At $750 either you're replacing three tanks or you've gotten something confused with a high pressure CNG tank?
Of course if you've got any aluminum or glass cookware, you've got to throw it out with an induction range.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 14:27   #10

Boat: Brewer 44' Steel

Buck up and fix it right. ONLY power boaters use electric cookware exclusively and then they start their genny to make tea... I have a small induction type "hot plate" for occasional use when plugged in at a dock. But someday that battery bank is going to die dead. Bit the bullet get a propane stove and redo your propane locker to accept standard 20 lb propane tanks. You won't regret it. Russ
Old 05-08-2015, 17:24   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Buck up and fix it right. ONLY power boaters use electric cookware exclusively and then they start their genny to make tea... I have a small induction type "hot plate" for occasional use when plugged in at a dock. But someday that battery bank is going to die dead. Bit the bullet get a propane stove and redo your propane locker to accept standard 20 lb propane tanks. You won't regret it. Russ
I've been using my induction cooker exclusively for the past few weeks, and it draws about 75AH/day, cooking 3 times a day. I have about 320W of solar aboard, and I'm about to add another 500W. If I don't use that energy for cooking, it'll simply be wasted.

I don't want to waste that energy...!

(I need that much solar to drive my electronics while on passage; at anchor it would just be wasted)

I'd add: there's no reason to draw your house bank below 70%. None. You should have a contactor that simply shuts off your house bank if voltage falls that low. Override for VHF or emergency use.

If you actually draw your house bank that low on a regular basis, you need more generator capacity, be it solar, wind, or diesel.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:49   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
I have to disagree. I know a few sailboats which have gone to exclusive electric cooking, and all I know are very happy.

Supplying the power is not a big challenge with decent sized battery banks.

To each his own, of course, but getting rid of gas on board offers a number of serious advantages.

Sent from my D6633 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:01   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I have to disagree. I know a few sailboats which have gone to exclusive electric cooking, and all I know are very happy.

Supplying the power is not a big challenge with decent sized battery banks.

To each his own, of course, but getting rid of gas on board offers a number of serious advantages.

Sent from my D6633 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Exactly; the technology has changed.

I've been away from the slip for about 10 days so far without any propane, cooking exclusively with my portable induction cooktop, microwave and (ok, a little propane) BBQ. My main loads on the hook are computers (I work aboard Monday-Friday), reverse cycle A/C heating to warm up the cabin each morning, making coffee, and keeping the dinghy battery charged. Also afforded myself the luxury of a fresh load of laundry.

Cooking almost doesn't even enter the picture. I'm drawing down about 300AH/day, recovering about 100 from solar, and running the generator for a couple hours every three days.

When I get my additional panels and a D400 onboard, I shouldn't need to run it at all.
Old 31-08-2019, 17:41   #14

Boat: Shah - Hylas 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by glambx View Post
I've been using my induction cooker exclusively for the past few weeks, and it draws about 75AH/day, cooking 3 times a day.

Which cooktop is that? The induction ones i can find are 3kVA for 2 rings.
andyalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 20:40   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtshah View Post
Which cooktop is that? The induction ones i can find are 3kVA for 2 rings.
This one here:

Mini Duo Induction Cooktop

I mounted it atop a Samsung combination convection microwave/oven using the gimbal from my old LPG stove, along with two 15A/120V circuits (one stove, one microwave). No pot holders; I just use silicon baking sheets and have confidence boiling water in the heaviest of seas.

The whole system has worked flawlessly for the past 4 years, and I would never go back to LPG.

I should add, though, that while I'm now up around 960W of solar, cooking loads are hardly a blip. Most of my consumption/shortfall is split between hot water, laundry, and computers (I work remotely). I still run the generator for a few hours twice a week.

Tags
marine