Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2010, 17:56   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Looking For New LED Spotlight Suggestions

We need a new handheld spotlight for Jubilee. THe old guest sealed beam unit has either a bad bulb or it is completely dead, but it seems prudent to get a new one.

I see there are now rechargeble LED models. Good light output? Are these worthwhile? Suggestions?

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 19:26   #2

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
If it's like mine, it's the switch. Good light when it works, but the switch is a land based el cheapo which is NOT up to marine standards. Not even close! Give it a shot of WD40, charge it up and see what happens. I'll bet it's the switch.

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 22:55   #3

Boat: Islander 36
I'm going to be shooting from the hip here. Somebody may have the answer you want. But I'm thinking that a spotlight is a different purpose light, which means mighty powerful. While we all love our LEDs, I can't imagne one that puts out like my halogen. And if there is one, I'll bet it cost.....
Old 11-03-2010, 23:41   #4

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
That's how I understood it, since you only use it for brief periods you get much more lux for your dollar on halogen (at reasonable efficiency)
Old 12-03-2010, 08:00   #5

Boat: Irwin sloop
I was given a Cyclops 18 million candlepower rechargeable for the boat. It has two power settings and on bright it is so powerful you allmost expect a recoil, Kinda big too. but if you want to get someones attention they will definitely notice you all the way to the horizon. It also operates on 12 volts.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:24   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Cyclops Solutions 18 Million C. P. Spot Lite uses a halogen lamp.
You won’t find anything in an LED, approximating this kind of hand-held “search” light performance.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:01   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
I have a nice twin beam LED spot light by Optronics. It's not 18 million candles but a rechargable spot light with that much power won't last more than about 15 minutes. If you search at Defender you can find it. It's very very light weight and not exceptionally powerfull but it can shine daymarks at 800 yards and remain on for over 2 hours on one charge as you negotiate some entrance in the dark. Unless you are going to a hard wired spotlight with remote control I don't see the rechargeable super high power lights being usefull unless you want to use it like a signal flare.

The really big portable lights don't get that many hours before the bulb blows and the bulbs are hard to find.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:42   #8

Boat: Outbound 44
Anyone know a good, reasonably priced, hard wired handheld spot? I don't want another rechargeable battery that needs charging and another power brick hanging around. I find the rechargeables don't last that long and they are always dead when I want them.

Paul L
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 20:57   #9

Boat: Privilege 39
If you have a cigarette-lighter style socket available, there lots of choices here from automotive and outdoor retailers, often with fairly long cords... Just store them inside when not needed.
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2010, 02:07   #10

Boat: A Thistle and a Hallberg-Rassy 36
Although not as powerful as the big hand held 12v spots, the Streamlight Survivor LED has served us very well in that capacity. It has a current generation high output LED at the bottom of a very deep reflector and puts out a very focused beam with a lot of throw. These are designed for firefighters and are extremely rugged. They come in a rechargeable version (fairly expensive) and also in a version that accepts 4 AA cells (not quite as expensive). We use the 4AA version but power it with rechargeable AA cells. One place you can get them is at Fox International Fire Rescue & Law Enforcement Equipment.
SoonerSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 06:35   #11

Poor color rendition and blurry light is the problem with LED spotlight for the one I own.
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 09:51   #12

Boat: Fantasia 35
Stumbled across this light the other day while looking for something else.

ThinkGeek :: Dynamo Spotlight

Hope it's what you are looking for.

Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2010, 10:17   #13

Boat: gemini 3200
Looking For New LED Spotlight Suggestions

We love our coleman LED spot light and you can get it from wally mart for ~$50.

Coleman - LED Rechargeable Spotlight -

CHeeRS!
-dennis
fla.sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2010, 04:58   #14

Boat: A Thistle and a Hallberg-Rassy 36
That Coleman spotlight looks like its using a few Cree XL LEDs to get 530 lumens. Thats a good bit of light for an LED device. I get frustrated with spotlights like this, LED or halogen. because of the need to use a separate AC adapter to recharge internal batteries. It seems the batteries quickly lose capacity or die over time and eventually won't recharge at all. Plus, even when the internal battery is in good shape, recharging completely from a dead battery usually takes something like 16 hours.
SoonerSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2010, 13:04   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSailor View Post
I get frustrated with spotlights like this, LED or halogen. because of the need to use a separate AC adapter to recharge internal batteries. It seems the batteries quickly lose capacity or die over time and eventually won't recharge at all. Plus, even when the internal battery is in good shape, recharging completely from a dead battery usually takes something like 16 hours.
It is always possible to modify the spotlight, do away with the battery and install a properly rated cord and plug.
chala is offline   Reply With Quote