Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2021, 08:52   #1

Boat: Alberg 30
M3-20B 10 AMP Breaker

Hi. Recently while out cruising it became apparent that my alternator was not working. I had a following wind the next day so I sailed all day back to my slip and removed the alternator for testing and replacement. The test showed it worked perfectly which saved me $400 CDN. The engine dealer informed me that as well as a main breaker , which I was aware of , there is a 10 AMP breaker in the wiring between the alternator and , I think , the starter gauge panel. Anyone know where I might find it. I am going down there in a couple of hours but somewhere to start would be nice.
Old 16-09-2021, 09:15   #2

Boat: Outremer 50S
Re: M3-20B 10 AMP Breaker

See page 109 of the Technical Manual PDF.

The 10A CB is connected to the glow plug solenoid and feeds the alternator excitation through the oil pressure switch. Could be the CB (if tripped/open) or a failure in the oil pressure switch that stops the alternator from producing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AltExc.PNG
Views:	39
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	245411
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2021, 09:26   #3

I assume the glow plug solenoid is the button next to the starter button I press for a few seconds to prime the fuel and heat the glow plug. The breaker must be on those wires. I will look behind the gauge panel to start and trace back from there. I wonder why it tripped. Funny coincidence , I blew the 8 amp in my inverter on the same day. I am thinking it must be the same event. Let the adventure begin!
Old 17-09-2021, 10:38   #4

I reinstalled the alternator , cleaned the connections and looked for the breaker. I could not see it anywhere. So , I fired up the engine and looked at the output. Works great. I am still a little worried about the oil sensor but I will keep an eye on it to see where it goes. I am going to install a batter monitor as well. I have been sailing this boat for years and this is the first battery trouble I have had. Also , the house battery it completely done. I plugged in my inverter and put my cell phone on it to charge and it turned red and shut down in just a few minutes. Soooo....off to the battery store I go. Could the bad battery have caused my problem?