Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2021, 14:44   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 349
Magnetic Solar Mounts

I am looking to mount a couple renogy solar panels to my Bimini and was planning on using 12x 20 pound magnets to do so. I was likely going to get another piece of sumbrella for the underside of the panel to prevent the magnets from getting any potential rust on the Bimini. That said, I have two questions:

1. For anyone that has mounted the solar panels to the Bimini with this method, how well does this hold up and can you leave it up under sail? Mainly thinking on the occasional longer passage when using a lot of autopilot.
2. Is there any considerations that I should consider when mounting panels to a new Bimini? My main concern is that I want to preserve the fabric as much as possible given it is brand new.
Letterkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 14:58   #2

Boat: Landfall 39 - Ron Amy
Re: Magnetic Solar Mounts

I once read through a thread on it - here https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ni-243077.html

I’ve had issues with the rare earth magnets rusting through their coating, even when behind an additional layer of epoxy. But I’ll probably try it again - it seems like other people have had better luck.
Oeanda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar