Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2013, 16:03   #1

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'
Magnum Inverter Chargers

After going against advice a few years ago, my Xantrex SW2000 inverter/charger smoked, and the charger is not working. Shows amps on the display but no volts to the batteries. It also smells when it is on charger. Also, out of warranty by 1 year. Still inverts. I am seriously considering a Magnum MS 2012. It is cost effective, seems as if the company has good service, and a three year warranty. Does anyone have any experience with Magnum? Victron is out of my budget. Actually, so is the Magnum, but I do need a replacement.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 16:12   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch
We can recommend Victron, Mastervolt, Magnum, or Outback all are excellent.

When I was full time in business we sold all of the above and serviced them... good stuff from good companies employing good engineers...

Xantrex? We never put one on a boat. But did take a lot off and install one of the above.

Nothing personal about them, just really badly made stuff with terrible tech support.
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 16:56   #3
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Re: Magnum Inverter Chargers

I have a Magnum ME3100 which is about 2 years old. When we launched Palarran this summer in Greece the control panel read "Reverse Polarity" or something like that. I called Magnum and got quick technical support. They realized that every minute cost me a bit of money so the technician gave me his direct number to call as we troubleshot the inverter. We couldn't definitively diagnose the problem so they offered to send my wife, who was leaving in two days, a new inverter. The inverter has a three year warranty and includes shipping both ways. All I had to pay for was the next day air freight extra.

Their service was as good as it gets. It is unfortunate the unit broke, but things happen. I'd highly recommend Magnum Energy.
Old 11-08-2013, 23:49   #4

I have installed around 30-40 ms2012s and 2812s without issue. many of them replacing dead xantraxs. they are good units. the battery monitor add on kit on is more confusing to use then a xantrax linklite. but for the price it's nice to have it included with the magnum screen.
smac999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2013, 22:50   #5

Boat: Defever offshore 60

I have taken my less than one year old Magnum 2812 back to the factory twice to have them run a check on it and they are very quick on the turn around. They are located just 10 minutes from my Boat, in Everett Washington. Quite a big operation right across the street from the Boeing Everett plant, with really nice people.

The first time I took it back ( my fault for crossing up the wires on install and smoking the controller board) they replaced the board and had it back to me the next day (no charge). The second time I was not sure why the SOC stopped working properly and I took in the ME-BMK Battery Monitor in with the Inverter and they gave me a new ME-BMK monitor (no Charge) due to a problem they found with it. The inverter checked out fine. I got a call less than 12 hours later to come pick it up. They even put the inverter back in new packaging for me to transport it.

Excellent service. I have the same set up in my 42 foot motorhome and never had a problem with it.

Definitely a great company to work with on repairs.
Dallas2254 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charger, inverter