Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2023, 22:19   #1

Main Engine Ground Best Location?

Is there a 'best place' to put my main engine negative ground wire?

Right now its at the base of the engine on a bolt above the oil pan under the crank shaft pulley. Its a good connection but its under the thermostat housing and under the water pump">raw water pump. The old connection was in the same place and when i pulled it, there was a significant amount of rusty water in the wire that had leaked from the water pump and made its way into the strands of the wire. I did heatshrink the new cable to prevent any water intrusion if water leaks from the pump.

I have been wanting to find a better location for it and since im doing a wiring project now, its as good a time as any to find a more permanent spot.

Originally there was a second ground to a bolt on the flywheel cover which has since been cut off, but for the life of me, i cant loosen that bolt to put it there. Should i make a better effort to locate it at the flywheel cover or is any other location ideal?
BAD ORCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 22:25   #2

Boat: Morgan 382
Re: Main Engine Ground Best Location?

The "best" location to any extent there is one, would be as close to the starter as possible, so the large starter current isn't flowing through as much of the block. Maybe even a starter mounting bolt. Was the flywheel bolt close to the starter?

Anyway, I doubt it would make much difference. Relocating it anywhere it is safe from water damage is fine.
Old 01-12-2023, 22:33   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
The "best" location to any extent there is one, would be as close to the starter as possible, so the large starter current isn't flowing through as much of the block. Maybe even a starter mounting bolt. Was the flywheel bolt close to the starter?

Anyway, I doubt it would make much difference. Relocating it anywhere it is safe from water damage is fine.
Thanks Wholybee. Yes the flywheel nut it was on is directly behind the starter less than a foot away, maybe six inches give-or-take. I do have better access to that spot now, maybe i will try again. The bolt its currently on at the front of the block is on the same side as the starter maybe a couple feet away.
Old 02-12-2023, 01:14   #4

Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48

If possible the so called best place would be on one of the mounting bolts holding the starter motor ,or an engine mount bolt on the engine side if the engine has a cast steel block ,not so good for aluminium .⚓️⛵️
Searles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 15:37   #5

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

Starter mounting bolt. That is where the largest current draw is. I used to do this on old 6 volt cars that had starting problems due to bad grounds.
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 10:52   #6

Much thanks. Ok, i will try to get it connected to the starter mounting bolt. I wont be able to walk for several days after but somehow i will get in there.

Tags
engine