Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2024, 18:02   #1

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed
maintaining constant 12 volts

I have a Mele mini computer that runs off 12v, has it's own 110 to 12 power supply that I thought to use as my boat computer.

https://www.amazon.com/MeLE-Quieter3...1zcF9hdGY&th=1

How do i maintain a constant 12v rather than a range of 11 to 14.6 volts? " (The power supply provided is a standard 12V/2A DC power supply not with PD). " Or does this mean that it can withstand a range of voltages?
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2024, 18:19   #2

Boat: Cruising Catamaran
Re: maintaining constant 12 volts

Install a Victron or similar 12/12 voltage converter (Orion) this will take anything from 8V to 17V and output to what ever you set it at between 10-15V. https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...0-400W-EN-.pdf
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2024, 20:19   #3

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Although victron might be the bees-knees, a far more economical solution is to use a buck converter. My on-board Asus mini computer has been running on this for 4 years. This computer requires 19 Volt.
On most buck converters one can adjust voltage between 5 and 40, or even 60 volt, and deliver anything from 2 to 30 amps. I guess 5 amps is plenty for a computer. Mine does not create EMF interference. Such solution will cost between $5 and $20.
Hmmm, cant see the one I have installed, but here is a range, picked the top one from my search.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/192535135639

I would think that most computers would be happy with the normal voltage range 11-14.5 volt. A '12 volt' power supply normally produces 13.8 volt.
Old 12-06-2024, 21:25   #4

If you use the 110V power supply, then you need to either be plugged into 110V shore power or be running off of an inverter. In either case, the power supply will be tolerant of variations in AC voltage and will supply a constant 12V DC output.

However, if you are asking about wiring a direct 12V DC power supply, like off of your house battery, then Hank has it almost exactly right. A buck converter will only drop the voltage from 12V or higher down to 12V. A boost converter will increase the voltage from 12V or lower up to 12V. What you need is a buck boost converter, also called a DC-DC converter (which is likely what Hank meant).

Such a converter will specify a range of input voltages and either a fixed or variable output voltage. You just need something that will do 12V DC output with an input range from at least about 12V DC to about 16V DC.

That converter must also be rated to at least 2A, but I would look for at least 3A. This is because computers can get quirky when not receiving enough current. And, if that converter is rated to 2A, it may or may not really deliver.

A DC-DC converter (buck boost converter) capable of 3A - 4A should cost about what Hank said - about $5 - $20 USD (closer to $20 to get one that is waterproof). Wire it downwind of a fuse rated for just a bit over the amperage of the converter. Also, don't overload the converter - just use it for its intended purpose. Most inexpensive converters won't protect you against overload. This is why you need a fuse.
Foswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2024, 12:15   #5

the non smart orions are pretty cheap, you set the fixed output voltage with a screwdriver
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2024, 19:14   #6

Boat: 1979 Ranger 28

do you guys have any issues with voltage drop when starting the engines? I have a 12vdc-19vdv boost/step-up convertor - and when starting a powerboat (big block V8) the computer reboots. I’ve though about trying to install diodes/capacitors to help shield the effect, as well as a separate small AGM battery with its own DC-DC charger. Curious what other options might exist.

Do ‘normal’ chartplotters power cycle when starting the engines?

https://www.amazon.com/YRDZXG-19V10A...d_i=B0CYLP9RD1
markrsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2024, 20:38   #7

If he has lithium house batteries, does he even need to be concerned with voltage? The required voltage specs he posted any healthy lithium would be far inside of and pretty stable.

Assuming he has lithium of course.

Off topic, OP how do you like that mini PC? I am in the market for one to watch movies off of.
User 09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2024, 03:35   #8

These answers are overly technical, in my opinion you just grab yourself an Automatic Voltage Regulator, who can maintain a constant Voltage, even if the supply has slight deviation, 11 to 14.6 volts in your case
Henr1y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2024, 04:53   #9

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
do you guys have any issues with voltage drop when starting the engines? I have a 12vdc-19vdv boost/step-up convertor - and when starting a powerboat (big block V8) the computer reboots. I’ve though about trying to install diodes/capacitors to help shield the effect, as well as a separate small AGM battery with its own DC-DC charger. Curious what other options might exist.
Use a separate starter battery for the engines that does nothing else. Simple, reliable, and eliminates the voltage drop on anything connected to your house batteries.
Old 14-06-2024, 05:27   #10

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrsimon View Post

Do ‘normal’ chartplotters power cycle when starting the engines?

https://www.amazon.com/YRDZXG-19V10A...d_i=B0CYLP9RD1
This really shouldn't be happening as the house bank should be isolated from the start bank. "Normal chartplotters" should also not reboot when starting the engines if your boat is wired properly. My house loads (including navigation electronics) don't experience this issue. If this is happening I would suggest that the boat wiring be examined before adding stop gaps to "fix" the problem.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2024, 07:25   #11

Boat: Hunter 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henr1y View Post
These answers are overly technical, in my opinion you just grab yourself an Automatic Voltage Regulator, who can maintain a constant Voltage, even if the supply has slight deviation, 11 to 14.6 volts in your case
That is a DC to DC converter by another name.
Statistical is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2024, 08:23   #12

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Solution 1: stop using the cheap tabletop you get on amazon, ikea... and get a professional mobile use one made for catering companies. They use regulated commercial grade burners that have constant fix current draw per level and no pulsing. These are also regulated and limited to max 16A or 3500W even they have more burner power. I never use the 3 burner on my bartscher IK3342 past level 7 as there is no big gain but significantly more power needed, it has 2000/1500/1000W but regulates when all 3 burners running the total usage to 16A/3500W. All 3 at level 7 is 3000W but typically i have 2 burner running on level 5 which is 1800W.
Solution no2: i have a edecoa 3500W cont HF inverter as boost inverter and if (the always on) victron multi 12/3000 needs more then 2200W it switches on the boost inverter which takes then 2400W load and the victron the rest incl. surges and peaks loads and if less then 2200W (for more then 5s) needed the boost inverter is switched off.
Above 2200W i only have when running the electric galley. You can do this with a multi 1600W and use a 3500W/16A HF inverter for that eg edecoa, giandel, solartronics which cost 300-450Euro and are good quality. Also the solution for 12V as its hard to get more then real 2500W inverters.
The good thing is you have the total available from both inverter when needed and not on seperate curcuits. Sure the electric galley is on 2 seperate circuits fused with 16A each.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2024, 11:40   #13

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed

Hankonthe water - thanks, just the info I was looking for.

User09 - I was initially leery of replacing my older engineering workstation but have been pleasantly surprised how well this works. It runs Onshape (think Solidworks via online) and Shotcut ( video editing) and its a little bigger than a deck of cards. I bought a 5 port USB hub and I run 2 big monitors here at home. It does get warm being fanless but I can leave my hand on it. I have 2 large external drives and currently 29 tabs open ( i know ...too many).
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2024, 13:24   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorman Ed View Post
I have a Mele mini computer that runs off 12v, has it's own 110 to 12 power supply that I thought to use as my boat computer.

https://www.amazon.com/MeLE-Quieter3...1zcF9hdGY&th=1

How do i maintain a constant 12v rather than a range of 11 to 14.6 volts? " (The power supply provided is a standard 12V/2A DC power supply not with PD). " Or does this mean that it can withstand a range of voltages?
https://store.mele.cn/collections/mi...ort-vesa-mount
Power Supply 12V/2A DC ( Voltage Range12V-23V), included US/EU plug

you dont need nothing. this pc have inside step down voltage regulator from 10-23v to 0,1 to 1,8v dc max
more is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2024, 06:29   #15

Boat: Beneteau first 47.7

I had the same problem on my boat. I connected my computer through my mastervolt inverter and all works fine now...
Pdemajo is offline   Reply With Quote