Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2022, 10:13   #1

maintenance Fischer Panda 12000

Hi, I have a generator Fischer Panda 12000. Mounting a Kubota 722 engine.
I cannot find anywhere in the user manual the recommended period to replace the impeller. Does anyone know the answer?
thank you
ZenSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 10:26   #2

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]
Re: maintenance Fischer Panda 12000

I have a FP 10k generator.

I am not aware of a recommended change interval for the raw water impeller.

Like the main engine, I routinely check it for cracks and deficits, and replace if needed.

RE: Manual: I happen to have downloaded the FP 12k mini manual some time in the past. It is too large to attach here, but I am happy to email you a copy if you are interested and PM me your address.

Cheers! Bill
Old 12-03-2022, 11:18   #3

Thank you Bill
I thought that like on Volvo and Yanmar the manufacturer makes a reccommendation to replace the impeller every 2 or 300 hrs. It is written in their operation manuals. I just found bizarre that FP doesn't say anything about it. I have the FP 12000 manual and they even don't say how often to check the impeller. Do you have this information?
thanks
Old 12-03-2022, 12:00   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

It may be more bizarre that some do. For an engineer to specify an interval for replacing an impeller, and have that actually mean anything, (s)he would need to run a bunch of impellers to the point of failure. Then they'd have to throw in variables such as frequency of use, condition of the pump bearings, and amount of sand in the water.

You've really got three defenses. The first is a schedule to pull the cover off and take a look. The second is your looking over the side when you start the genset to make sure that water is coming out of the discharge. Startup is the likely time for an impeller to shred itself. The third is the combination of your temperature sensor/alarm and your having wire-tied a spare impeller to the hose beside the pump.

You've demonstrated laudatory conscientiousness by being concerned by this question.
Old 12-03-2022, 13:14   #5

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenSpirit View Post
Thank you Bill
I thought that like on Volvo and Yanmar the manufacturer makes a reccommendation to replace the impeller every 2 or 300 hrs. It is written in their operation manuals. I just found bizarre that FP doesn't say anything about it. I have the FP 12000 manual and they even don't say how often to check the impeller. Do you have this information?
thanks
Hi Zen,

I am not aware of a recommended change interval for the raw water impeller.

Like the main engine, I routinely check it for cracks and deficits, and replace if needed.

I agree with tkeithlu's summation re: impeller maintenance.

As an aside, the raw water pump on our FP generator doesn't have an impeller in it as that pump was replaced with a March pump. No impellers to think about.

As an early warning of insufficient exhaust hose cooling water, I installed thermistor's on the outside of both the main engine and generator wet exhaust hoses. If a thermistor hits 200°F, it closes contacts and sounds an audio and visual alarm. It self-resets when the temp gets back below 185°F [temps from memory... but I'm close...] If you are interested, there are more details and materials sourcing links in this detailed blog post.

Cheers! Bill
Old 13-03-2022, 06:00   #6

yes but when you mention a regular schedule for checking the impeller. Is it every 50 hrs? or 100? or 200?
As I said, with Yanmar and Volvo they recommend to replace the impeller every 200 hrs or every year in case of no utilization. That is clear and unequivocal in their operation manuals.
For Fischer Panda 12000 (Kubota D722) there is nothing in the entire manual.
I agree that a regular check is enough to verify if the impeller is damaged. But how is possible that Fischer Panda doesn't even mention how many hrs from one check to another. They just ignore the issue. They only say that in water with coral debris or in case of dirty water the impeller could last less than 100 hrs. It is not enough. So the question is, shall I inspect the impeller every 100 hrs? or more/less often?
Old 13-03-2022, 08:10   #7

Boat: Lagoon 42

I can picture an engineering discussion, one saying just give the operator a set time period and the other arguing it’s not that easy, different conditions matter. I agree with FP’s more nuanced method, it depends…
nextis12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2022, 09:20   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Zen, what interval will prevent your waking up in the middle of the night thinking "I forgot to check the pump impeller?" Checking it doesn't completely protect you from a shredded impeller in any case. Just suck a rock up your raw water seacock, and an impeller you installed ten minutes ago will clog your heat exhanger with rubber impeller shreds.

In short, there is no authoritative answer to your question. You have to choose a maintenance schedule somewhere between "I'll fix it when it breaks" and "I'm going to interfere with my boating by compulsively checking pump impellers."

Be sure you have the replacement at hand, check the water flow, listen for alarms, open the pump when you feel the urge, and go sailing.
Old 13-03-2022, 09:50   #9

Location: Florida, Off the Caloosahatchee Canal for the Summer
Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'

[QUOTE=tkeithlu;3590924]It may be more bizarre that some do. For an engineer to specify an interval for replacing an impeller, and have that actually mean anything, (s)he would need to run a bunch of impellers to the point of failure. Then they'd have to throw in variables such as frequency of use, condition of the pump bearings, and amount of sand in the water. /QUOTE]

Plus if they state a specific time/hour interval, and someone is an outlier because of other issues, old stock, improper installation, a defective impeller that slipped through QC, whatever, they may open themselves up to some idiot trying to sue them! The legal department may have recommended not stating an interval . . .
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2022, 03:10   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF,Zen.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Fischer Panda, maintenance