Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2017, 13:52   #1

Boat: Catalina 470
Mark Grasser alternator

H all, ive just added a Mark Grasser 100amp alternator with matching smart regulator.

Battery bank is 440amp/hr. I find the alternator fluctuates output quite alot. It will hit 60 amps for a little while and then drop down to 20ish and then back up. Is this normal?

A balmar I had on a previous boat didn't jump around as much, wondering if this is hear sensor related, regulator algorithms being more conservative?

Its doing its job but behaves differently from the previous balmar.
I did worry the previous Balmar got to got hot.

Cheers Dale.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 14:48   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Mark Grasser alternator

Do you have any loads running that may be fluctuating?

Test for a while with no loads on the target bank.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 06:08   #3
Marine Service Provider

Dale,
A few possibilities. What is happening is related to temperature of the alternator affecting the regulator output. The regulator is set pretty conservative and cuts back output at about 220 degF. The alternator is easily capable of 275 degF. My recommendations: Run the engine a little faster for better fan speed, better cooling. Move the temp sensor to the side of the alternator away from the output stud. Try these two things and let me know. You will get better response contacting me directly at mark@markgrasser.com
Mark Grasser
Mark_Grasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 11:56   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I too have a mark Grasser alternator, a 125 amp.
First I'll say from what I can tell it's a very first class product, I am well pleased with it. However the regulator is a little too conservative in alternator temp, and mine would drop to float prematurely.
However for the price, it's an excellent buy.
I got a deal on a Balmar 614 and went that way, consigning my other reg to spares.
However Mark, I have heard rumor that you will soon be coming out with a much better upgraded regulator?
Is it too soon to ask about it?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 12:17   #5
Marine Service Provider

Being careful not to upset the administrator of the list, yes, two new regulators, a 20 amp and 100 amp Bat to Bat, all this year. Starting April 15th there will be notices on our web page about new device specifications and availability. Mark Grasser - DC Power Solutions
Mark_Grasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 15:24   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Grasser View Post
Dale,
A few possibilities. What is happening is related to temperature of the alternator affecting the regulator output. The regulator is set pretty conservative and cuts back output at about 220 degF. The alternator is easily capable of 275 degF. My recommendations: Run the engine a little faster for better fan speed, better cooling. Move the temp sensor to the side of the alternator away from the output stud. Try these two things and let me know. You will get better response contacting me directly at mark@markgrasser.com
Mark Grasser
Thanks Mark, will do.

Old 06-04-2017, 07:18   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Try mounting a fan blowing air on to the back of the alternator and see if that helps. There was another thread a while back of a vetus alternator that wasn't putting much out and the owner found that air flow was very restricted. He added a blower and his alternator produced much better power.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 15:34   #8

Just to follow up. Ive followed Marks suggestion and moved the temp sensor wire to other side of alternator casing, its now working perfectly. Thanks Mark, I love stuff that works great.
Cheers Dale.

Old 15-04-2017, 16:01   #9

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Thanks for the thread. Good information as I'm soon going to be putting a new regulator on my alternator that has a heat sensor.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2022, 08:35   #10

Hey Guys, anyone know if Mark Grasser is still in business? His website is no longer up and phone is not in service.
We were have new serpentine pulleys being machined up. Put half down to start the project. Just try to call to get an update and the phone number is not in service.

We hope all is well with him but are a bit concerned now? Does anyone have any news?

Thank you,
Keelhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2022, 09:35   #11

Pheeewwww good news. Mark is well and all is good. A bit busy with all the work. Thank God cause he is the best there is.
Keelhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2022, 03:23   #12

Boat: Outremer 55L

We bought externally rectified alternators and flat belt pulley kits from Mark about a year ago, with delivery 8 months later. Very good to work with and he responds promptly to emails. The pulley kits he made were new for our engine (Nanni 4.150) and fit perfectly. We can highly recommend his products.

We already had MC-614 regulators and the new alternators work perfectly with them.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator