Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2023, 03:18   #16

Boat: Lightwave 45
Re: Mastervolt alpha pro 3 control

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
Most mastervolt settings are password protected.

Log into it as in installer (lift click on product in list) Password is 498 I think. That should unlock the boxes.
Yes it does!!!
Thank you for this info
Karanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2023, 03:21   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpoos View Post
If you are in NZ you can maybe send it to me to program for you? I have the USB interface.
Thank you for the offer. I am currently in Whangarei (hardstand).
I have bitten the bullet and paid the extra. My reasoning being that I anticipate tweaking the settings several times while I work out what is best
Old 25-04-2023, 13:21   #18

Boat: Chatam 50

I've had quite a few Mastervolt chargers, inverters, and other bits and pieces over the years. MV service used to be good when it was possible to talk to a tech in the Netherlands but that stopped and all communications are now directed to the dealer who sold you the gear. And in my opinion that has resulted in a huge loss of accurate info and most dealers know enough to sell but not enough to diagnose. I have also found that their equipment seems to be engineered to die after five years. I've been through three chargers in ten years and my electrical room is watertight and installation is of very high quality. Long story short, everything I put on the boat now is Victron. Hopefully that will work out better.
Leee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2023, 13:27   #19

Boat: Southerly 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leee View Post
I've had quite a few Mastervolt chargers, inverters, and other bits and pieces over the years. MV service used to be good when it was possible to talk to a tech in the Netherlands but that stopped and all communications are now directed to the dealer who sold you the gear. And in my opinion that has resulted in a huge loss of accurate info and most dealers know enough to sell but not enough to diagnose. I have also found that their equipment seems to be engineered to die after five years. I've been through three chargers in ten years and my electrical room is watertight and installation is of very high quality. Long story short, everything I put on the boat now is Victron. Hopefully that will work out better.
In the US at least, there is still a tech support number you can call. I think they only have 2-3 guys working the phone there, but they're very helpful. If they can't answer the question, they shoot it to the Netherlands. The one time we needed to a question passed to the Netherlands, the answer was so wrong it was almost funny though.
shimari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 19:42   #20

Boat: Elliot 10:50

Hi…this discussion is interesting.We just bought a boat kitted out with MasterVolt equipment.
2 x MasterVolt MLI 12/2750 batteries.
MasterVolt EasyView 5
MasterVolt AlphaPro III Regulator
MasterVolt Combimaster Inverter / Charger
The alternator is a Prestolite Leece-Neville 160 amp and has a MasterVolt temperature sensor on it...this goes back to the AlphaPro.

I to wish to reduce the maximum output of an alternator for a variety of reasons.
1) The previous owner broke a couple of the threaded rods that tension the alternator belt.
2) The alternator is delivering 150amps at 2000rpm. The belt is struggling to not squeal, I have checked with my engineer and it is as tight as it should be. Tighter will just shorten bearing life etc. So 75Amp per battery, while the battery max. charge current is 200A, the recommended charge current is <= 60A. (75 is therefore 25% > spec.)
3)We currently manage this by only motoring at~1000rpm which equates to 120Amps, however this is far from ideal, especially if the batteries are down a bit.

The EasyView 5 manual indicates I can adjust the settings of the AlphaPro via teh EasyView 5. I found my way in there, eventually, and managed to adjust somethings - e.g. now have the alternator not being loaded for 60 seconds, but I do not have the option to alter the field Maximum Output. I can see it...but it is not a field I can alter.

Can anyone tell me if this is possible using the EasyView 5 ?
Is there a different password I should use ? If so...where ?
If I buy the MasterBus-USB hardware....will I definitely be able to adjust the Maximum Output ?
Will I be able to connect the MasterBus - USB hardware to the EasyView and look through to the AlphaPro...., the EasyView is in a far more convenient location.

Any help would be much appreciated. Anything else I should be thinking about ?
372RTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 20:48   #21

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Get the usb interface
You can get to everything you need
Old 08-10-2023, 21:00   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
Get the usb interface
You can get to everything you need
I agree.
The USB interface is essential.
Once you put in the password of 498, you get access to many settings - including adjusting output (which decreases field current).
Old 08-10-2023, 21:55   #23

Thank you Karanga and AKA.....I have ordered one.
Old 12-10-2023, 01:45   #24

Ok, so it arrived. And yes, now have the easy access to everything I need…and more. Adjusted the alternator output down to 120amps, delayed starting it for 60 seconds. All good, easy to use ( once you stumble on where to put the pass number in).

Thanks for the help.

Happy !
Old 12-10-2023, 03:55   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 372RTM View Post
Ok, so it arrived. And yes, now have the easy access to everything I need…and more. Adjusted the alternator output down to 120amps, delayed starting it for 60 seconds. All good, easy to use ( once you stumble on where to put the pass number in).

Thanks for the help.

Happy !
So you bought the car, now you have just paid extra to have the steering wheel too...
Old 12-10-2023, 06:35   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

With the USB interface the Mastervolt system is quite powerful.

It is worth exploring the capabilities, particularly the option of adding customised "event" buttons that can be programmed to appear on the Mastervolt display. Unfortunately, the paperwork describing the capabilities is quite poor. I think most units are designed to be set up by the dealer.

I have set my system up with buttons that allow manual selection of "bulk", "absorption" and "float".

In this way I can force the alternator immediately to float.
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 08:17   #27

Boat: Southerly 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post

It is worth exploring the capabilities, particularly the option of adding customised "event" buttons that can be programmed to appear on the Mastervolt display. Unfortunately, the paperwork describing the capabilities is quite poor. I think most units are designed to be set up by the dealer.

I have set my system up with buttons that allow manual selection of "bulk", "absorption" and "float".

Noelex - mind sharing what helped you learn how to do that. Sharing any tips as well would be great. Panbo and Steve Mitchell (Seabits) seem to be the only place I've found any useful Mastervolt info.
shimari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 08:35   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

I have the older display. The Masterview Easy and the (rather poor) instructions for setting up a
"MASTERVIEW EASY EVENT” is shown in section 6:3.

The instructions do not emphasise the capabilities nor do they expand on the type of "events" that may be useful, but basically it allows you to add buttons to the display to useful things such as forcing the regulator to drop to float with the push of single button.

The instructions are here:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/99...page=14#manual

I assume the new colour display has the same capabilities.
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 12:11   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post

That’s a great idea.
Yes, it does seem powerful. I am very wary of inadvertently changing something leading to me damaging my batteries.
Old 12-10-2023, 14:59   #30

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karanga View Post
So you bought the car, now you have just paid extra to have the steering wheel too...

Not exactly
Bought the car and now you bought the odbc programmer if we stick to the car analogy

Tags
mast