Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2022, 03:47   #1

Mastervolt Alpha Pro original with new alternator temp sensor

The original mastervolt alphapro regulator came with a battery temp sensor and the new alphapro III series of regulator allow the use of either a battery temp sensor or an alternator temp sensor plugged into the 1 temperature sensor socket.
Has anybody used the alternator temp sensor in place of the battery temp sensor on an original alphapro?
Would this work, I imagine the thermistor for the alternator would do the same as the battery temp sensor but at a higher temperature.
Any thoughts?
Thanks John
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 04:14   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: Mastervolt Alpha Pro original with new alternator temp sensor

We have an Alphapro 2 that uses alternator temperature.

This is just a software setting, so I would expect it would work with the Alphapro 1, but I don't know for sure.

The Mastervolt thermistor for the battery is in a plastic case. This is not ideal for alternator mounting, although the thermistor itself should be fine reading the higher temperature.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 04:30   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post

This is just a software setting, so I would expect it would work with the Alphapro 1, but I don't know for sure.

The Mastervolt thermistor for the battery is in a plastic case. This is not ideal for alternator mounting, although the thermistor itself should be fine reading the higher temperature.

Thanks very much for the reply, I was thinking of using the alternator sensor so I think it is worth plugging it into the Alphapro 1 and see what it does.
Thanks again
John
Old 01-06-2022, 04:57   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I think that will work.

You will also have to use the MasterAdjust Software to tell the regulator you want alternator temperature turned on.

You can set two temperatures. The point where the the regulator will start to ramp down the alternator output and a higher temperature at which the alternator stops charging completely.
Old 01-06-2022, 17:02   #5

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

To use the mastervolt sw you need the USB adapter
Old 03-06-2022, 09:58   #6

I just checked the master adjust software and it looks like this does not have a place to plug in on the original alpha pro. So i have bought the alternator temp sense cable and i will plug it in where the battery sense cable normally goes and see what happens. I imagine that the alpha pro reacts to the resistance sent back from the temp sensor so it was made with the thought only for battery temp sensing using the square battery temp sensor.But now I am using the new alternator temp sensor so I am at the mercy of the resistance sent back from this new sensor….
thanks very much for the replies so far.
Old 03-06-2022, 10:31   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuss View Post
I just checked the master adjust software and it looks like this does not have a place to plug in on the original alpha pro. So i have bought the alternator temp sense cable and i will plug it in where the battery sense cable normally goes and see what happens. I imagine that the alpha pro reacts to the resistance sent back from the temp sensor so it was made with the thought only for battery temp sensing using the square battery temp sensor.But now I am using the new alternator temp sensor so I am at the mercy of the resistance sent back from this new sensor….
thanks very much for the replies so far.
Just plugging in the temperature sensor will not work. The software needs to be changed.

The software is free, but you need an interface between the Alpha pro and the PC. Mastervolt sell a USB converter that acts as junction between the Alpha pro and the PC. This is really an essential purchase if you do not want to be dependent on a dealer to set up and adjust the regulator. The USB converter is about €150 ($160 USD).

I presume this same USB converter will work with with the original (version 1) Alpha pro that you have, but check before purchasing.
Old 03-06-2022, 18:35   #8

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

The key word is masterbus that’s what they call their network
It’s a daisy chain bus that needs a terminator at each end
Not sure about your particular charger but the mastervolt folk are responsive to questions
Old 06-06-2022, 01:02   #9

Boat: Jeanneau 42 DS

It works on Alpha PRO II.

But Alpha PRO 1 does not have Masterbus port.. So I doubt this will work.
It will just think the battery is overheating.
offpist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 01:16   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by offpist View Post

I did not realise the Alpha Pro 1 does not have a Masterbus port like version 2 and 3. Without this communication system I agree that unfortunately there is likely no way to enable alternator temperature control.
Old 06-06-2022, 01:26   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by offpist View Post

Yes, that’s true that it does not have this port. However, I was not planning on using the battery temp sense cable. I bought an alternator sense cable that probably has a different thermistor. If I am lucky then it will send a resistance back to the regulator that reports alternator related temperatures. If not then I will buy the alphapro III
Old 06-06-2022, 03:19   #12

Boat: Jeanneau 42 DS

If you have the Victron Cerbo GX, it does have an option now to control one of the relay outputs related to temp now.

Mount an Victron temp sensor on the Alternator and let the Cerbo control the "KEY ON" signal to the Alpha PRO at an given temperature.

This way, you can both monitor the temp, and protect alternator from overheating. Its not perfect, but its an option.

Mastervolt also have these "Mastervolt Multipurpose Contact Output" boxes.
offpist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2024, 03:08   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post

Can you set USER DEFINED battery type for your Alpha Pro 2 ????

Tags
alternator, mast, sensor