Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2015, 09:58   #1
SFH

Boat: Jeanneau Yacht 53
Send a message via Skype™ to SFH
Mastervolt Whisper 6000 generator

Hi,

I have been offered a never used Mastervolt Whisper 6000 generator (see pictures) from year 2000/2001. Looks attractive but since the generator is 15 years old (though never used) I am still a bit skeptical if this indeed is a good deal.

I would appreciate any help on what to look for which could support my decision

1. Engine is Westerbeke. Good or bad?

2. According to the specs it comes with analogue control whereas standard seems to be digital these days. What does that mean to me? I run Victron on my boat and would like to take benefit of automated start/stop function managed by Victron battery monitor

3. What to look for ? What should I be prepared to change etc.?

4. Any suggestion on things to check/test during a survey?

5 Finally - what would be a reasonable price?

Thanks in advance
Steen
SFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 04:06   #2

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: Mastervolt Whisper 6000 generator

Hi Steen,

I also saw this and have done some checking around on the net. It seems Mastervolt stopped producing these in 2004. Since this engine has been sitting unused since 2001(14-15 years), you might want ot be thinking about packings o-rings etc drying out (also depends on what temperature the genset was stored under.

see here:

Whisper 6000/7000 Ultra 1500/1800RPM - mastervoltgeneratorsupport

I can't answer your other questions, but in terms of price. A brand new kubota genset 3.5KW (half the Mastervolt size, but still producing 15 amps) can be bought on ebay for DKK37.000. Add an extra DKK5000 for the soundproof box and you've got yourself a genset.

see here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5KW-marine...-/350368460447

The Mastervolt weighs 225KG which is big and would require some type of lifting device to get onto the boat (I don't know how I would get it into my boat) The kubota weighs 80KG and is smaller.

As i said I looked at it and decided to pass based on the above. We're leaving on an RTW next spring and I would love to have a genset. I've decided I can manage to cross the atlantic with our solar and 600 amp batteries.

Depending on how that goes - I'll buy a genset in the US.

The seller is asking for DKK 65.000 - I think this is too much. 40K perhaps or less

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:29   #3
SFH

Boat: Jeanneau Yacht 53
Send a message via Skype™ to SFH
Re: Mastervolt Whisper 6000 generator

Thanks Carsten

Agree with yours below

Did the math yesterday and concluded that the one offered is actually too small.

I have both a 32A (A/C and washing machine) and a 16A shore cable (everything else). That mounts up to around 10kW

The boat is designed to carry a 11 kW so this one is not for us

/Steen

QUOTE=carstenb;1982476]Hi Steen,

I also saw this and have done some checking around on the net. It seems Mastervolt stopped producing these in 2004. Since this engine has been sitting unused since 2001(14-15 years), you might want ot be thinking about packings o-rings etc drying out (also depends on what temperature the genset was stored under.

see here:

Whisper 6000/7000 Ultra 1500/1800RPM - mastervoltgeneratorsupport

I can't answer your other questions, but in terms of price. A brand new kubota genset 3.5KW (half the Mastervolt size, but still producing 15 amps) can be bought on ebay for DKK37.000. Add an extra DKK5000 for the soundproof box and you've got yourself a genset.

see here:

3 5KW Marine Genset Kubota Diesel Power Ultra Compact | eBay

The Mastervolt weighs 225KG which is big and would require some type of lifting device to get onto the boat (I don't know how I would get it into my boat) The kubota weighs 80KG and is smaller.

As i said I looked at it and decided to pass based on the above. We're leaving on an RTW next spring and I would love to have a genset. I've decided I can manage to cross the atlantic with our solar and 600 amp batteries.

Depending on how that goes - I'll buy a genset in the US.

The seller is asking for DKK 65.000 - I think this is too much. 40K perhaps or less[/QUOTE]
SFH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, mast