Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2024, 16:14   #1

Boat: houseboat
MC4 connectors bad on shore experiences

Hi All
I am posting this topic cos I have found some alarming accounts regarding this highly suspect method of using a common type of solar cable connector MC4. Without labouring all the detailed background as this can be found here https://diysolarforum.com/threads/mc...3#post-1137054.

This is not intended as a clickbait waste of your time but its a genuine observation should you be using this type aboard your craft. Solar panels carry high current and a fire risk from faulty joints (well known problem in a marine environment)

Please post here your experiences with MC4s

as per https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...rs-272426.html @team karst https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...st-235099.html

Robint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 16:21   #2

Boat: Tartan 3800
Re: MC4 connectors bad on shore experiences

I bought my cables from Arizona Wind & Sun and haven't had a problem. I don't think the problem is MC4s as such but rather that there are some poorly made connectors and cables out there in the extraordinarily large world of solar.

Most installations (including mine) are relatively low power compared to fixed solar and ask little of the connectors.
Old 07-07-2024, 11:29   #3

I’ve never had issues with them either on land or sea. And type of connection needs to be correctly stripped, fitted, crimped, and sealed. If you screw that up, do blame the connector.
Old 07-07-2024, 11:34   #4
CLOD

Boat: none

I had a MC4 connector on my solar burn once. Took many passes to find it and I initially didn't and got a replacement controller just to find out it wasn't a controller problem.

Once I found it I just cut it out and replaced with a heat shrink crimp connector.
Old 07-07-2024, 13:29   #5

Boat: Seawind 1370 Hull #40 on order

Having worked in the utility scale solar industry, I would only use UL 6703 recognized Staubli or Aphenol MC4 connectors. High end inverter sensors can detect resistance issues that can lead to connector failure most often caused by improper crimping.

Cheap panels may use Chinese knockoffs.
bikekite is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc