Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2016, 13:34   #16

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: Method to keep plug in outlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by moctrams View Post
If you leave your plug in you inviting electrolysis. Some folks at our harbor with deficient electrical systems wonder why their zincs go so quickly.
Not if it's not turned on or not plugged in to a boat or in the water (the female end).

As for the original question, you insert the plug and turn it clockwise (just a few degrees) that locks it in.

To keep tension in the clockwise direction, rotate the plug one turn counterclockwise before you plug it in. It will want to return to its original position and that will keep it plugged in.
Old 17-11-2016, 13:52   #17

Boat: Catalina 30

these are supposed to work very well.

Products -
Old 17-11-2016, 14:01   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeys Kitchen View Post
Since we are living aboard at a marina for now, we just leave the plug in when we go out. Here is our setup:
Tie it around. Pretty much what you have to do.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 14:35   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
these are supposed to work very well.

Products -
That only takes care of the boat end. Which is good...I have one installed on my boat. But, it's the pedestal end where someone is likely to kick it loose. And, then your refrigerator drains your batteries to zilch.

I agree with making it secure with some cord.

My personal method is to keep a supply of zip ties of various sized in my toolbox. They're extremely inexpensive at Home Depot, etc.. I use sort of medium size zip ties to secure the plug at the pedestal. I have my supply with me when we travel, and they work pretty much anywhere we go. My rigging knife slices through them easily when needed.

I use smaller zip ties to secure the cord to the dock cleats on the way from the pedestal to the stern.
siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 07:44   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'

That reminds me... I need call smartplug and tell them my customers plugs are falling apart and what do you want me do about it?
ce
groundtackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 16:59   #21

Location: Horseshoe Cove Sausalito/Currently in La Paz,BCS,Mex.
Boat: Ron Holland 43 Semi-custom Sloop

Thanks, I'll take that as a "caveat emptor".
Capt Gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 01:03   #22
Marine Service Provider

Capt g, exactly what are you saying or implying?
When they were the rage everyone wanted them. Now I have issues.
ce
Old 19-11-2016, 01:44   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundtackle View Post
Capt g, exactly what are you saying or implying?
When they were the rage everyone wanted them. Now I have issues.
ce
"caveat emptor" = buyer beware. In light of your post I'm saying if someone is thinking of purchasing that product it would be best to wait-see what the mfg. says in their response to your query. Sorry for the confusion,bringing this issue to our attention is helpful–thanks !
Capt Gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 07:35   #24
Marine Service Provider

Understand Capt. Sometimes (alot of the time) folks take my comments or sarcasm the wrong way.
The problem I have with this issue and many other components is ive sold and installed them. I am the buyer.
Even if the manf sends me 15 new plugs, now I need to go out and change them for free, great. I sold them so I must personally warrantee.
ce
Old 19-11-2016, 08:20   #25

Location: Boat is on the hard in San Carlos for the tropical storm season. We are back in the PNW
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

We have had good experiences with the Smart Plug company.

We had a Smart Plug on our previous boat which we had leased back to the local sailing club. An unknown member dropped it in the water while trying to plug it back in (boatside plug) and then did plug it in without any fresh water rinse or drying out. The resultant short circuit sparked and burned the connection and there was some smoke damage on the hull. The Smart Plug folks (which are located here in Seattle) just sent me a new plug with no issues.

The sailing club did the install, since it was a 'club' issue; but I can certainly sympathize with GroundTackle about having to do the work even if he gets the plugs replaced. Some installs are easy to access and others are a bear.

We have had a Smart Plug put onto our new boat and are very happy with it.
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 08:55   #26
Marine Service Provider

The guts of the plug fall into pieces. Are the newer ones better. I shouldnt be complaining online as I have never given them a chance. Sorry smartplug, Ill call ya.
ce
Old 20-11-2016, 23:08   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundtackle View Post
The guts of the plug fall into pieces. Are the newer ones better. I shouldnt be complaining online as I have never given them a chance. Sorry smartplug, Ill call ya.
ce
I'd like to point out what is not always understood by customers,i.e.,when the shop supplies the part necessary for the job there's a markup for the part for the value added,that value is,in the event of part failure the shop has the responsibility to replace it at no cost,if within the warranty period. If the customer supplies the part the shop has no responsibility,except for proper installation. The customer needs to understand this before complaining that they can get the same part for less at so & so parts. Also, the shop is usually is a better judge of the quality/reliability of a part and because doing work for free doesn't help the bottom line there's an incentive to use a good product. This is a general statement with many exceptions,e.g.,unreasonable customers,shady shops,etc.,however the above is what I expect as a customer and in turn when as a service provider.
Groundtackle,would like to hear your experience with the Smartplug folks.
Old 21-11-2016, 14:06   #28

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 35.1

Thanks all!
Dr. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 14:48   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Gill View Post
I'd like to point out what is not always understood by customers,i.e.,when the shop supplies the part necessary for the job there's a markup for the part for the value added,that value is,in the event of part failure the shop has the responsibility to replace it at no cost,if within the warranty period. If the customer supplies the part the shop has no responsibility,except for proper installation. The customer needs to understand this before complaining that they can get the same part for less at so & so parts. Also, the shop is usually is a better judge of the quality/reliability of a part and because doing work for free doesn't help the bottom line there's an incentive to use a good product. This is a general statement with many exceptions,e.g.,unreasonable customers,shady shops,etc.,however the above is what I expect as a customer and in turn when as a service provider.
Groundtackle,would like to hear your experience with the Smartplug folks.
Good point, thanks for bringing it up. Very true. Many don't think of that.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 09:38   #30
Marine Service Provider

Smartplug update..
Just got off the phone with Will at Smartplug, he is in the tech side.
Told him I have 2 bad ones right now and they are both in use, I can't unplug these boats, send them down and wait for for replacements. He said, no problem and will send them. He also asked for reciepts and I'm sure I can dig for them if required, he said not to worry.
As I write this the phone rings and its Terry Gilliland from Smartplug. Informs about the upgraded plug design and emails me the info. I'll review it later. Two fresh plugs are on their way. Great guy, knows his product and stands behind it.
Pretty cool don't you you think?...thats what we all want to see and hear.
I'll let you all know how I make out.
ce

Tags
plug