Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2012, 06:01   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Microwave on inverter??

Hmm, borrow another microwave and try that before you set off. I had a quick google of 12v microwaves, sheesh it would be cheaper to send a taxi to the local takeaway rather than pay those prices. Also stumbled across this:

Kenwood Microwave Oven and 12v Inverter Combo | ROADKING.co.uk

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2012, 06:06   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Interesting -- I wonder what electrical phenomenon causes these problems. My I believe 1800 watt built-in microwave runs just fine off my Victron 3000 watt inverter. The inverter complains with low battery and overload lights whenever I put on any load more than 1500 watts or so (I don't know why), but works. My batteries, even 60% -- 50% down, don't complain, and don't fall below 24 volts.

The microwave is marked "Inverter Inside" -- I don't know if that makes a difference.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2012, 06:12   #18

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

You show your location as being in the "Med." Open up the door of the microwave and look for the label plate - it may be on the back of the microwave. You will notice that the specifications are listed there for voltage, amperage/watts, and frequency (Hz). And you normally notice that the specification for frequency (Hz) is made larger than the other listed specifications.

Driving a magnetron requires that the magnetron be built for the specific frequency (Hz) of the incoming power. European microwaves are built for 50Hz whereas North American microwaves are built for 60 Hz. They are not compatible.

Heating elements which are only resistive loads could care less about frequency (Hz) but timed devices like magnetrons must be supplied with the correct frequency (Hz) power. Likewise check your inverter to see what it is outputting - 50 or 60 Hz. That might be your problem - incompatible power requirements.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2012, 02:11   #19

Boat: Gib sea 43

Well I found the problem... I am ashamed.. I had forgot to put in the roller ring on which the tray turns, the motor trying to turn the tray was overloading... Homer simpson dooh moment!!

If the pen is mightier than the sword, then my keyboard must be a nuclear missile!
stevensuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2012, 02:14   #20

Boat: Gib sea 43

Pete my mate offered me a 12v gimballed microwave for nothing, cool item, but it was huge and i mean huge!

If the pen is mightier than the sword, then my keyboard must be a nuclear missile!
stevensuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2012, 02:31   #21

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensuf View Post
Have a strange one, I have a 2000w pure sine wave inverter, tested it with various things works ok, 2kw heater powered ok, but for some reason it doesnt like powering an 800w microwave?? any ideas?
Likely the problem:
The power rating used with microwave ovens is the "cooking power" which refers to the power being "delivered" to the food being cooked. The actual operating power requirement rating is higher than the cooking power rating (for example, a microwave with "advertised" rating of 600 watts usually corresponds to almost 1100 watts of power consumption). Your microwave could be consuming more than the max output of your inverter,

Could be the problem:
Your problem could happen if the frequency does not match...i.e. running a 50htz on 60htz power.

This probably isn't your case because you are in the US and probably do not have a 50htz inverter, but, you never know.

Hope this helps you.

Bill
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2012, 04:24   #22
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post
Likely the problem:
The power rating used with microwave ovens is the "cooking power" which refers to the power being "delivered" to the food being cooked. The actual operating power requirement rating is higher than the cooking power rating (for example, a microwave with "advertised" rating of 600 watts usually corresponds to almost 1100 watts of power consumption). Your microwave could be consuming more than the max output of your inverter,

Could be the problem:
Your problem could happen if the frequency does not match...i.e. running a 50htz on 60htz power.

This probably isn't your case because you are in the US and probably do not have a 50htz inverter, but, you never know.

Hope this helps you.

Bill
I guess you missed post #19
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2012, 04:34   #23

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
I guess you missed post #19
Yes sir, I did indeed miss it. Of course it wasn't because I was a dumb ass.

Check the time...we were all espousing within the same 20 minutes.

Had you checked the time, you may have omitted the comment.

Bill
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2012, 04:53   #24

Boat: Lipari 41

Not sure if this will help....for years when we first bought out boat the 1100W microwave worked great with a 2500 mod sine inverter...replaced it with a smaller 800W one but it would not work....a guy at Sun Electronics told us it was the M/W, something in the timer mechanism....he suggested getting one that had knobs instead of a touch pad...I did and the new one works great with the old inverter...you may have to look a while before you find one though...Bob
R2boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2012, 05:19   #25

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensuf View Post
Well I found the problem... I am ashamed.. I had forgot to put in the roller ring on which the tray turns, the motor trying to turn the tray was overloading... Homer simpson dooh moment!!
Great news Steve. Shoot happens and it didn't cost you an arm and a leg before you discovered it. Once had a dock neighbor all but disassemble his fuel system to diagnose a fuel delivery problem only to realize he was out of fuel (although the "broken" fuel gage showed half a tank). Next problem...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2012, 07:16   #26
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post
Yes sir, I did indeed miss it. Of course it wasn't because I was a dumb ass.

Check the time...we were all espousing within the same 20 minutes.

Had you checked the time, you may have omitted the comment.

Bill
Err... no, but I do apologise if my post caused offence to you; it was intended to be light hearted
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2012, 01:57   #27

Great that a simple fix has solved the problem.

But as a general rule, yes, microwaves are marketed on the amount of power they put out, not the amount they use. Quite the opposite of modern efficient air conditioners where 500 watts in produces 3 to 4 times that much of cooling power in watts.

Also, broadly speaking, non-sinewave inverters may have problems with gadgets with clocks and timers--such as a microwave. Clocks need steady 60 hz (or 50 in Australia), whereas the inverter's cycle fluctuates. Electronic controls, such as on a sophisticated electric blanket, may also not work but the inverter will happily power the old fashioned 1~2~3 controller.
starcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2012, 02:47   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Great news Steve. Shoot happens and it didn't cost you an arm and a leg before you discovered it. Once had a dock neighbor all but disassemble his fuel system to diagnose a fuel delivery problem only to realize he was out of fuel (although the "broken" fuel gage showed half a tank). Next problem...
!! Lol. When this kind of thing happens to me, I feel stupid for about 30 seconds, then I feel happy that I can strike it off the list and go on to the next one . . . Oh, the joys of yacht ownership . . . .
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2012, 07:58   #29

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
!! Lol. When this kind of thing happens to me, I feel stupid for about 30 seconds, then I feel happy that I can strike it off the list and go on to the next one . . . Oh, the joys of yacht ownership . . . .
Me also.

Some friends of ours that have spent the last two winters cruising their somewhat older yacht--a sister ship to ours--have described their cruising experience as an (apparently) endlesss sequence of completing makeshift repairs with inappropriate materials using inadaquate tools in various exotic locations...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter