Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2023, 09:24   #1

Monitor Shore Power

I’m still looking for a shore power monitoring solution to get an email or notification alert if shore power goes off. I-Socket looks like a good option but is $260 up front and $5/month.

There are WIFI products that I’ve looked at but if power fails WIFI will likely be offline too. There’s a MarCELL product too but expensive.

Has anyone found a good low cost solution? Perhaps something that uses a purchased SIM?
Sailormannn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 10:02   #2

Boat: Southerly 480
Re: Monitor Shore Power

You're going to find it tough to find $5/mo since you need some sort of cellular for the notification message.

I looked at Marcell. If all you want to do is get a notification on a power outage, Marcell at $8.25/mo will be hard to beat. It gives you temp, and humidity as a bonus.

Good luck!
shimari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 10:13   #3

Floathub.com. Available with both wifi and cellular options.

I point to them just because once upon a time I was working on a boat-monitoring solution... then I discovered that they had basically developed exactly what i had in mind.
Old 04-06-2023, 10:21   #4

Boat: Southerly 480

Interesting option, but be careful. If you go this route, make sure you get the LTE version. 3G has been (or will be real soon now) deprecated by US carriers.

It is still $9.99, but I think definitely a better option for a boat than Marcell.
shimari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 11:19   #5

Victron has a push notification option: https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2...notifications/

I have not tried it personally but it seems like it could do what you need. Obviously, you would likely need to add some hardware (Cerbo GX, Victron SmartShunt, and GlobalLink at minimum I think. May require upgrading to one of their chargers).
silvercreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 07:23   #6

I'm leaning toward the iSocket which looks like a simple enough device. Not cheap; $259 CAN up front but the $5.20 CAN a month for the cellular connection is reasonable.

https://www.isocket.ca

Waiting to to hear from them as I have a few questions about LTE connection.

Anyone have any experience with iSocket?
Sailormannn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 14:48   #7

Boat: Ericson 27

My boat does it, but I'm running a Victron electrical system. I'm working on adding a few more warnings (fire off an email when the battery drops below a certain SoC, etc...)

The one thing I need to do is setup a "storage" switch or some such, as I really don't care if my shorepower goes offline when I actually take the boat away form the Marina.
hjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 18:51   #8

Boat: 50' aluminium power cat

If you networked a Pi or Nuc to a Cerbo GX attached to an (inverter-)charger, you should be able to program a notification of your choice (SMS, email, flare ).
mcarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 19:46   #9

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

If you like to tinker, look into LoRaWAN. https://www.thethingsnetwork.org/map (or other IoT public network operators)
LoRa is ideal for something like this where you don't need to transmit much data, just alarm states or periodic status updates. Email can be sent from the server side of things.
Bellinghamster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monitor, power, shore power