Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2021, 20:35   #1

Boat: Seaward 22
Monohull solar

The amount of solar on monohull compared to catamarans seems to be a big difference between them. The electrical power needs cannot be that much of a difference, so how can monohulls compete with catamarans for power requirements?
EllisElectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2021, 21:10   #2

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Re: Monohull solar

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisElectric View Post
The amount of solar on monohull compared to catamarans seems to be a big difference between them. The electrical power needs cannot be that much of a difference, so how can monohulls compete with catamarans for power requirements?
Mono owner here, all I can say is that my boat has 190 watts of solar and that runs inbuilt fridge, 40 litre portable freezer, sailing instruments, plotter etc and radio. I do have a large battery bank and at times it dips to around 50% but it is surprisingly good.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2021, 23:01   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 41 DS

Hmmm..generator is the equalizer.
abe
sailingabe41ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2021, 03:19   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

This is a significant advantage of multihulls. When comparing cats with monos you should make allowance for the greater beam of the former option and therefore compare a longer monohull to a shorter cat, but even after allowing for this cats can usually accommodate more solar.

However, technology has improved with higher efficiency solar panels, better batteries and regulators so most cruising monos can have a solar array that will run everything.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2021, 03:55   #5

Boat: Amigo 40, 31ft double ender

The lack of suitable places for solar panels is certainly a downside. We have a pretty electricity heavy boat, with two people working from laptops, lots of boat electronics, etc.

We went with somewhat large LiFePO4 battery bank, but that still only gives us some three-or-so days off-grid. Plan is to build a solar arch this winter.

To help produce electricity when we're anchored (hopefully for a whole work week!), we just bought a FLINsail. This is a solar array (300W in our case) that you pull up the mast like a mainsail.

We got it yesterday, so I can't provide any real-world experiences, except that the FLINsail array fits nicely in one of our cockpit lockers.

Not cheap, but if it allows us to work the summer in the Baltic without weekday marina fees, it should pay itself in a season.

https://flin-solar.com/flinsail
bergius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 23:23   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergius View Post
The lack of suitable places for solar panels is certainly a downside. We have a pretty electricity heavy boat, with two people working from laptops, lots of boat electronics, etc.

We went with somewhat large LiFePO4 battery bank, but that still only gives us some three-or-so days off-grid. Plan is to build a solar arch this winter.

To help produce electricity when we're anchored (hopefully for a whole work week!), we just bought a FLINsail. This is a solar array (300W in our case) that you pull up the mast like a mainsail.
FLINsail is waste money . Flexible panels don't last for long especially if they are allowed to flex.
for 10% money you can buy proper solar panel. for example
2x 190 140cmx70 and mount on rail 120€ x2
on new arch 2x150 1.1m x 0,7 110€ x2
300w flinsail is 2500€

2x150W 220€
But in real world after 6 month more produce 1 solar panel 100W vs flexible 300w
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 00:13   #7

Boat: Amigo 40, 31ft double ender

Quote:
Originally Posted by more View Post
FLINsail is waste money . Flexible panels don't last for long especially if they are allowed to flex.
for 10% money you can buy proper solar panel.
My experience of putting solar on two boats tells that the panel price is quite a small part of the whole system. Hardware for attaching the panels, charge controllers, etc are usually much more than the panel itself.

So yes, if you see the FLINsail as just panels, it is very expensive. But if you see it as panels and the attachment system, then it isn't too bad. Solar arches tend to be quite expensive. If this allows us to work the whole summer season from anchor, it has paid for itself inside the first year. That's not a bad ROI.

As for durability, we'll see. It will hopefully take a few years before I'm able to say much about that
bergius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 01:43   #8
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergius View Post
Solar arches tend to be quite expensive.
o yes solar arch is expensive from 50 to 1000€
Old 02-12-2021, 03:13   #9

With less real estate, it is more important to get the highest efficiency panels, best sized and quality wiring, and LFP batteries.

I have 760 watts going in to a 400Ah set of LFP, but 400w of that are flex which a good part of the time are shaded. My 360w solid panel is the workhorse. I’ve had the panel awhile, and its efficiencies rated 22%. There are Sunpower panels available now at 22.3%. Can get bifacial panels. And be sure to design your support frame to angle the panel - it makes a difference.

I should say, I power three Engel fridges, one of which is set as a freezer. Lighting is all-LED. Two phones, two laptops, a chart plotter, repeaters at two helms. I’m at sub-30N. I don’t have a generator. It takes a few days of cloud before I have to crank the engines to charge

It is well worth spending money on good panels and good batteries.
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 03:34   #10
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamicatana View Post
With less real estate, it is more important to get the highest efficiency panels, best sized and quality wiring, and LFP batteries.

I have 760 watts going in to a 400Ah set of LFP, but 400w of that are flex which a good part of the time are shaded. My 360w solid panel is the workhorse. I’ve had the panel awhile, and its efficiencies rated 22%. There are Sunpower panels available now at 22.3%. Can get bifacial panels. And be sure to design your support frame to angle the panel - it makes a difference.

I should say, I power three Engel fridges, one of which is set as a freezer. Lighting is all-LED. Two phones, two laptops, a chart plotter, repeaters at two helms. I’m at sub-30N. I don’t have a generator. It takes a few days of cloud before I have to crank the engines to charge

It is well worth spending money on good panels and good batteries.
what boat you have
Old 02-12-2021, 04:15   #11

Boat: Bristol 27

Monohull Solar!

No arch required.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0636.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	453.7 KB
ID:	249193   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0633.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	441.2 KB
ID:	249194  

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 04:34   #12

Boat: Regina 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by more View Post
o yes solar arch is expensive from 50 to 1000€
I did a lot of research on this when considering power sources for my boat and the cheapest semicustom arch available in Northern Europe for a 40fter is produced by Baltic Solar Arches and was 4000euro. That makes a fixed installation of solar panels over aft deck a minimum of 5000euro if you do all the labor yourself. Maybe you get 600W up there. This is big windage when heeled and some weight well aft altering trim. It also can look awful depending on the boat.

A 600W Flinsail we be slightly cheaper, have no effect on sail trim and be broadly as productive (the ability to track the sun with it making up for it not being deployed 24-7). If you are worried about flexing they make a strong version with each panel framed in aluminum. This can also be carried in higher wind speeds.

Yes there are cheaper ways to mount rigid panels than an arch but all have problems and most look awful.

If I ever need to augment my wind power in order to cope with stationary loads then it will be with a Flin sail or maybe some small panels fixed to the push pit. It will not be with an arch.
Na Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 05:04   #13
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Na Mara View Post
I did a lot of research on this when considering power sources for my boat and the cheapest semicustom arch available in Northern Europe for a 40fter is produced by Baltic Solar Arches and was 4000euro. That makes a fixed installation of solar panels over aft deck a minimum of 5000euro if you do all the labor yourself. Maybe you get 600W up there. This is big windage when heeled and some weight well aft altering trim. It also can look awful depending on the boat.

A 600W Flinsail we be slightly cheaper, have no effect on sail trim and be broadly as productive (the ability to track the sun with it making up for it not being deployed 24-7). If you are worried about flexing they make a strong version with each panel framed in aluminum. This can also be carried in higher wind speeds.

Yes there are cheaper ways to mount rigid panels than an arch but all have problems and most look awful.

If I ever need to augment my wind power in order to cope with stationary loads then it will be with a Flin sail or maybe some small panels fixed to the push pit. It will not be with an arch.
my arch under 100 € not welding except deck holder semifinished

holding solar panel 250 cm x 70 cm
or 200x100 cm
o yes to wind 110 knots
Old 02-12-2021, 05:10   #14

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Na Mara View Post

€4000 Is insane for a small solar arch. All you need is a stainless fabricator that can bend and weld 25mm stainless.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 05:18   #15
Marine Service Provider

or more simple
300-500watt under 100€
https://www.cruisersforum.com/attach...r_original.jpg

Tags
hull, monohull, solar