Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2021, 07:36   #1

Most efficient Monocrystalline Solar Panel around 120-150W

Hi, I am looking for two monocrystalline solar panels with the higher efficiency in 2021.
What are actually the best solar panels around 120W-150W for a 12V system and MPPT regulator?

I was watching:
- Victron 115W monocrystalline panel (I have no room for 2x175W)

- Phaesun Sun Peak SPR 120
- Phaesun Sun Peak SPR 170_12 (I have to check if I have room for the 170W version)
- Phaesun Sun Peak SPR 170_24 (the same panel is also available for 24V systems, should I consider it since using a MPPT regulator and wiring the panels in parallel?)

- Offgridtec® 110W SP-Ultra 12V

I am located in Europe, can anyone advice good panels to buy?

Thanks!
Federico993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 09:20   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: Most efficient Monocrystalline Solar Panel around 120-150W

It is a good question. The most efficient solar panels tend to be in the larger sizes, around 300+w. This size is popular with domestic and industrial users, which promotes economies of scale and rapid developments. In addition, as the panel becomes larger the percentage area occupied by non producing parts of the panel, such as the outside framing can be reduced.

However, smaller panels are more suitable in some yacht installations, so these owners are interested in high efficiency smaller panels, and these are more difficult to find.

The % effeciency is easy to calculate and this is worth doing for any panel you are considering buying. It is easier using metric measurements.

Under STC conditions, which are how solar panels are rated, 1000w of sunlight falls on one metre squared. Thus a solar panel with an area of one metre squared that produces 200w under STC conditions would have 20% effeciency.

As an example, the last panel listed in the above post is 540mm (0.54m) x 1055mm (1.055m) in area with a production under STC conditions of 110w.

Thus the effeciency in percentage terms is:

(110/(.54x1.055)) x 1000/100 = 19.3%

This calculation can be done for all solar panels you are considering purchasing. It shows how much surface area the solar array will occupy for a given output. Also, in general solar panels with high efficiency tend to be constructed with better quality cells that usually have (slightly) better low light and high temperature performance, but you also need to consider the shape of the panel and how this will fit in the available space. Installing the maximum watts in the area you have available is an important goal.
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 14:13   #3

Thanks Noelex for the detailed answer. I wouldn't have any doubt with solar panels higher than 250W.
But I could only find few info regarding smaller panels.

Following the calculation who you have provided, the Phaesun panels have the higher efficiency (21,9% for the 120W version).

The Phaesun Sun Peak SPR 120 and the Offgridtec 110W SP-Ultra 12V seem tobe the better choices.

Anyway I wasn't able to find many reviews or comments about these panels.
Are they reliable panels?

Can you or anyone recommend other brands?
Old 08-02-2021, 15:03   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sorry, I have not heard of this brand of panels before. However, rigid solar panels are very reliable. It is rare to purchase a poor product unless you opt for the cheapest bargain basement product.

The Paesun 120 panels have reasonably high efficiency, are monocristalline and have rear connected cells. The manufacturer provides detailed specifications. All of this suggests a quality product.

The only negative is the temperature coefficient (-0.38%) is slightly below the best panels, as is the guaranteed output (+/- 5%).

I could not find any details of the manufacturer’s warranty. These warranties help indicate the manufacturer’s confidence in the product, although in practice warranty claims are rarely needed and transport costs mean they are not always of much practical value in the real world.

So I would purchase them if the size, price etc was suitable.

Hopefully a member who has used these panels will comment with better information.
Old 09-02-2021, 07:23   #5

I have found the datasheet of the new Phaesun SPR120 and the datasheet of the old Phaesun SPR110. They have the same size and I was comparing them:

Phaesun SPR120:

Phaesun SPR110:

The cells still are 32, is it possible that the SPR120 has a higher voltage?
Old 09-02-2021, 10:03   #6

Boat: GS 43 Maleto

Hi
This year I was looking for 2 panels 150 w - 175 w.
Location on Bimini.
My choice is a kit of 2 x 150w Flexible in series to reach 24 volts to MPPT
Brand “ igreen “
Efficiency 21%
Patent belong Panasonic
Made in Italy.
And only 2,31kg each.
Weight and size Important for me.
MPPT Victron 100/30 Bluetooth + sensor Victron giving temperature and voltage of 12 volts batteries park to MPPT.
And 2 fuses.

I hope to have done a good choice. Not yet installed on my s/y.

I would be able to give you a feedback next year.
Maybe some had one already.

Best regards
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Fiche-techique-panneau-flexible-igreen.pdf (1.34 MB, 62 views)
Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 10:22   #7

@Feelgood: Thanks for the answer! But I am looking for rigid solar panels, I have seen too many flexible solar panels failing during these years. They aren't durable like the rigid ones and I want my setup running the whole year without worrying about if I am not on the boat.

Anyway I'll use Victron MPPT controller as well, I think the Victron MPPT 100/20 would be perfect for 2x120W panels in series.

It would be great if the main brands would have produced even panels with smaller sizes!
Old 09-02-2021, 11:57   #8

Long panel life maybe more important. My Kyocera panels just died on their 10th year. Very disappointing for the heavy cost.
Battery type is also very, very important.
Lifepo4 batteries will up your solar systems efficiency by a lot. Accepting a 3% lower efficiency could pay for very good batteries.
Sailingsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 12:30   #9

@Sailingsolo: thanks for your feedback, I have read one person who was advicing Phaesun panels after owning his Phaesun panels for 10 years, so they should be good panels.
I have 400Ah Winston 12V LiFeYPo4 battery.
Old 09-02-2021, 13:44   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federico993 View Post
I have found the datasheet of the new Phaesun SPR120 and the datasheet of the old Phaesun SPR110. They have the same size and I was comparing them:
The cells still are 32, is it possible that the SPR120 has a higher voltage?
32 cell panels normally have a lower voltage than ideal for 12v MPPT controllers, especially the popular Victron controllers, as these have been set with relatively high start up voltage and this parameter cannot be adjusted.

You can always put 32 cell panels in series (providing you have more than one), but series connection reduces the output under partial shade.

For this reason 36 cell panels are generally preferred.

However, the Phaesun SPR120 has quite a high Voc and Vmp that is much the same as many 36 cell panels so this should not be issue. The specifications for the Phaesun SPR110 show a lower voltage more typical of a 32 cell panel and so the SPR120 would be a better choice.
Old 09-02-2021, 15:56   #11

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Thanks Noelex for the detailed answer. I wouldn't have any doubt with solar panels higher than 250W.
But I could only find few info regarding smaller panels.

Following the calculation who you have provided, the Phaesun panels have the higher efficiency (21,9% for the 120W version).

The Phaesun Sun Peak SPR 120 and the Offgridtec 110W SP-Ultra 12V seem tobe the better choices.

Anyway I wasn't able to find many reviews or comments about these panels.
Are they reliable panels?

Can you or anyone recommend other brands?
Seimans has been making solar panels in Europe for many years
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 05:34   #12

@joelhemington: Seimans? I can't find any info researching it. Maybe a typo?
Old 10-02-2021, 08:57   #13

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
@joelhemington: Seimans? I can't find any info researching it. Maybe a typo?
Try Siemens - yes a typo
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2021, 17:41   #14
Sponsoring Vendor

Quote:
Hi, I am looking for two monocrystalline solar panels with the higher efficiency in 2021.
What are actually the best solar panels around 120W-150W for a 12V system and MPPT regulator?

I was watching:
- Victron 115W monocrystalline panel (I have no room for 2x175W)

- Phaesun Sun Peak SPR 120
- Phaesun Sun Peak SPR 170_12 (I have to check if I have room for the 170W version)
- Phaesun Sun Peak SPR 170_24 (the same panel is also available for 24V systems, should I consider it since using a MPPT regulator and wiring the panels in parallel?)

- Offgridtec® 110W SP-Ultra 12V

I am located in Europe, can anyone advice good panels to buy?

Thanks!

If you are looking for the highest efficiency solar panels then look into the SunPower range of E-flex panels: 110W & 170W

They are built with SunPower's Maxeon Gen III cells which have 23-25% efficiency which means more power in less space - pretty important when 'roof space' is a premium aboard.

We can recommend the Victron Energy SmartSolar MPPT charge controllers.
All of our customers have been very happy with the built-in bluetooth which allows for easy system monitoring via the VictronConnect app on your phone/tablet.

We can ship to Europe from the USA but probably easier to check out the guys at Marlec www.marlec.co.uk

Aloha, Lyall
Old 26-02-2021, 18:13   #15

Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailingsolo View Post
Long panel life maybe more important. My Kyocera panels just died on their 10th year. Very disappointing for the heavy cost...
Solo, you may be in luck. Our Kyocera panels from 2001 failed after a few years, but I was able to repair them. Then in 2009 they failed in places that I couldn't repair. So I called Kyocera in the US (from Malaysia) & explained the whole thing to them, including that I'd modified the panels.

She listened patiently & then said, "Yeah, we had some bad panels come out in 2001. Where would you like the replacements shipped to?"

Just. Like. That. I was pleasantly surprised, of course. Panels were shipped DHL air freight to the YC in Lankawi, Malaysia.

There are distinct advantages to buying name-brand panels.

Tags
solar