Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2021, 09:11   #1

Boat: Hinckley, SW51
Most Popular Wind Generators

Hi,
In the constant quest to reduce the amount of fuel consumed, I'm considering adding a wind generator on a 50' monohull. I have a generator and 2x100 solar panels and I think that the wind (and/or hidro) generator will free me from the fuel consumption of the generator. In general, I consume around 20 amp/hr with autopilot and electronics on but, I have 12v fridge that needs to be on at least 2x1hr and consumes around 50amp/hr.

I'm wondering what are the brands and models that most of you are using. In addition, what maintenance issues I should consider.

Thanks,
Gianluca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 09:29   #2

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Most Popular Wind Generators

I don't know beyond anecdote which models are most popular. I have a Silentwind, and it seems reasonably common (in the small subset of boats that have windgens). D400 is also common, as are various Air-types.

On my small 37-foot monohull I have 400 watts solar and a 400 watt (theoretical) windgen. From my experience in the mid/upper latitudes mostly summer months, I would say my windgen provides about 15 to 20% of my power needs, while the solar does the bulk. I am almost 100% self-sufficient with these sources, and only very rarely need dino-charging to top up my batteries.

Personally, I would recommend you add more solar first. Only once you've topped out with that would I suggest a windgen. On a 50-footer you have a lot more space to install a lot more solar. Do that first. Then, consider a windgen if your amp budget is still not being met.
Old 02-01-2021, 09:38   #3

Boat: Nordic 44

Are you in a windy area? I have wind, solar and I have had a hydro generator. For trade wind passages the wind and hydro were great but at anchorage the wind is not to reliable, The real winner is solar. I have as much as I can fit over my Bimini - 390 watts. If I had the space I would add more solar.

Wind generator is an AirX with Air+ blades. It needs about 15 knots just to start generating which is pretty typical, Solar is much more consistent and very inexpensive these days.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 10:17   #4
cruiser

Second the vote for more solar. As much as you can fit. Have 900w solar and a marlec Rutland 1200 wind generator. Solar outperforms more often than wind. The wind ends up being just a bit of a top up and really does not add much
Knot Safety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 11:16   #5

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

Based on experience I would also add more solar before adding a wind generator. We have both but the solar panels (about 460 amps) on our ocean crossing boat provide about 80-90% of our power needs. We use a Hydrovane to steer unless motoring and I avoid motoring as much as possible (during a 29 day passage from Mexico to the Marquesas we motored a total of 18 hours).

The wind generator is also important and I am glad that we have one. Our is an AirX Marine. It can be noisy but makes reasonable amounts of power, has been very dependable and survived a hurricane in Mexico. I think that there are better units out there now (I installed ours in 2008) so your post is helpful.
Old 02-01-2021, 11:32   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

that's a tough call....solar does not work at night...but a windgen does..but a good solar array can charge during the day and batteries will take care of themselves during the night..besides the solar / windgen issue, one also needs a good battery monitor that can regulate what goes in there.....
windgens typically require a bit of wind to produce even 3 amps...they can produce more off course.....but at some speed...which brings me to my next point, windgen's can be quite noisy....especially at speed..
and then there is the mounting question....where ????

regarding brands.....I'd first consider where you would put the thing and go from there...certainly keeping spinning blades away from heads, arms, etc would play an important part in this decision...
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 11:52   #7

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

We’ve got a southwest wind power air breeze. Overall it supplies less than 10% of our needs, our solar (500 watts creatively arranged) supplies all of our needs.

If it was me, I’d explore every option to fit more solar before even considering a wind generator.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 12:58   #8

Boat: J Boats J/46

We have 750w of solar and a D400 wind gen on a 46er.

Would add more solar vs adding the wind in a heartbeat. Amp for amp, averaged through the year, I would bet the amps gained by the wind gen are offset by the amps lost in solar panel shading it causes.

If you have maxed out in solar area, or tend to anchor and sail in very windy areas/conditions, is only when I could see the ROI.

IMO, a wind turbine alone will not remove your genset from the equation. $ for $ solar is where it’s at.
SV_Sweet_Ruca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 13:01   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

back in the day...when wind gen's first came out...solar panels weren't around...my first wind gen was a windbugger...there....that dates me...
but solar panels have come a long way since...putting 500 watts on your boat is relatively simple today...but....my opinion...for what it's worth.....to make use of a large solar array...one must also have a large battery capacity... lotsa weight...cold ice does not come cheap
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 13:04   #10

Boat: Albin Vega 27 / Ericson E30

I had on my boat 26-Foot a 400 W wind generator. The boat ran with an autopilot st1000, a cooler/freezer (5 A) and the usual board lights. I had 2x100 Ah batteries and both were satisfied only with the wind generator 400 W. Sometimes I ran for about 6 h the watermaker. The wind generator was completely enough to run with the boat.

Now fpr the next circumnavigation I am considering a hydrogenerator. Ocean Power Hydrogenerator - Startseite
Albinvega27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 13:18   #11

Boat: J Boats J/46

Attached a few pics of real D400 output with masthead wind speed.

Transom pole mounted. Very quiet, no louder than the wind in the rigging, an extra “swoosh” in the puffs every so often.

Maintenance, none so far in ~1.5 years. Manual calls for checkup/maintenance every 5 years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	779C1874-EA32-4CB0-A5B7-EF615D8CBA73.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	401.7 KB
ID:	229818   Click image for larger version

Name:	D4AF3943-1928-4C6C-93CE-39847A8CA825.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	402.0 KB
ID:	229819  

Click image for larger version

Name:	868D405C-4E44-4BD1-B253-E048887D4D82.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	405.5 KB
ID:	229820  
SV_Sweet_Ruca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 14:17   #12

Boat: Kristen 465 Pilothouse

After you get more solar, I would highly recommend the MarineKinetix MK4+ wind generator.
SteelEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 14:20   #13

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
On my small 37-foot monohull I have 400 watts solar and a 400 watt (theoretical) windgen. From my experience in the mid/upper latitudes mostly summer months, I would say my windgen provides about 15 to 20% of my power needs, while the solar does the bulk. I am almost 100% self-sufficient with these sources, and only very rarely need dino-charging to top up my batteries.
What size, type, quantity of house batteries, Mike?
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 15:29   #14

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
What size, type, quantity of house batteries, Mike?
My house bank is three deep cycle 12v, 120 amp-hr lead acids. So 360 amp-hrs. Forget the brand. I also have a dedicated starter bank; a single 12v starter. They're branded Magnacharge.

My house bank is slightly under sized. I'd like to/plan to add another ~100 amp-hrs or so, but it serves my purposes right now.
Old 02-01-2021, 15:52   #15

Boat: Coast 34 Sail

We did quite a bit of research into wind and while at anchor in 15-20 knots we heard a neighbors wind generator just screaming. Dinghy to boat to make sure we don’t get that brand. Turns out the boat closest was the quiet wind generator and the boat on the other side of him farther away had the loud generator. We bought the quiet one 4 years ago, Marine Kenetics made in South Carolina. Been very happy with support only issue is last year the front bearing got noisy. Company has you tube on replacing and it was easy. Agree that solar is great but I am happy with this unit in addition to the solar. Quiet is a big deal for us and it performs well to boot. don’t under estimate the cost of the mast and supports if you go that route. Our mast is hinged at the bottom so we can lower for service.
Tomodore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, wind, wind generator