Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2017, 13:31   #16

Boat: 1983 Pearson 424 Ketch
Re: Mounting solar panels on bimini

I originally bought hard panels for my boat (300w). Then I priced out the frame... makes no sense financially.
Old 25-08-2017, 14:08   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Because it'll look awful.

Why not instead purchase some flexible panels and attach them directly to the bimini, then it won't look like a "jungle gym" made with an erector set. Less expensive too.
Because most don't last worth squat. A buddy paid a fortune for his and finally sold them to get something that worked and lasts.
By the way, what's with all the snarky posts?
Flyingriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2017, 14:31   #18
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingriki View Post
Because most don't last worth squat. A buddy paid a fortune for his and finally sold them to get something that worked and lasts.
The OP asked for opinions, just because you don't agree doesn't make them "snarky."

Maybe your "buddy" should have purchased quality flex panels from a reputable company offering a five year performane guarantee instead of the cheap ones off ebay? Mine seem to be working fine.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2017, 14:46   #19

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Mine work well. That's the 2º season (4000nm). They are flexible but I mounted them on marine plywood in a way they are structurally a part of the bimini (by traction).

Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2017, 14:49   #20

Boat: Jeanneau 409

I mounted 5 Solara solar panels to my bimini frame. I think it turned out pretty good.

I used Gemini Hinge connectors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	solar-panels.jpg
Views:	1048
Size:	335.6 KB
ID:	154815   Click image for larger version

Name:	jeanneau-409.jpg
Views:	661
Size:	351.7 KB
ID:	154816  

2015 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 - 3 Cabin / 2 Head, Shoal Keel, Furling Main, Performance Genoa 135% with Tracks, Folding Prop, Bow Thruster, Air Conditioning, B&G Zeus2 Chartplotter, B&G Autopilot, B&G 4G Radar, B&G ForwardScan Sonar.
epiic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2017, 15:01   #21
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiic View Post
I mounted 5 Solara solar panels to my bimini frame. I think it turned out pretty good.

Your installation looks very nice. Good job!
Old 25-08-2017, 15:31   #22

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Flyingriki, For what it's worth, I suggest you don't waste you time on that character's remarks. He rarely has anything useful to offer and somehow seems to be under the impression that snide remarks win him accolades or admiration while the opposite is the case. Perhaps as a child he was abused or bullied and so has, consequently, become an abuser/bully himself. Ignore it/him and he will, eventually simply go away for want of attention.

IMHO of course...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2017, 15:48   #23

Boat: Hanse 505

Quote:

Epiic, that’s a super clean install. Any issues with the weight up high on a not very rigid frame in big winds?
N4585K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2017, 15:53   #24

Boat: CS36T

Epiic that is awesome looking hard panel install!
Old 25-08-2017, 16:14   #25
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

That is a very nice installation! Looks smooth. Well done!

-----

TO ALL READING THIS: (yes, that is a shout out)

This thread has shown some good photos of different Solar Panel Installations.

If you have not done so already, please add your photos and a description of your Solar Panel Installation to the following sticky or ongoing thread:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ts-179638.html

Thanks!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2017, 17:49   #26

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:

Nice installation. I previously had 4 each 145 watt panels mounted onto the top of my rear hard top which is also contoured. I paid a performance price because the panels were not mounted flat.

A month ago I replaced my old panels with higher wattage ones. Two are mounted on each of my two hard tops but this time I mounted them flat. My new panels are Canadian 295 watt monos. To date the best performance I have seen is about 800 watts charging into two paralleled banks of 430 AH flooded batteries. Controller is a Victron 150-70.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2017, 18:10   #27

Quote:
The OP asked for opinions, just because you don't agree doesn't make them "snarky."

Maybe your "buddy" should have purchased quality flex panels from a reputable company offering a five year performane guarantee instead of the cheap ones off ebay? Mine seem to be working fine.
"A buddy paid a fortune for his..."

I guess to a snarky poster who is so quick to insult that he can't read well and respond appropriately that sounds like Ebay. They weren't....
Do you really want a listing of the snotty things you post? I'll gladly go back and quote a dozen or so.
That kind of insulting nonsense isn't necessary. But since you must be in the moderators clique you continually get away with it.
Money and an oyster doesn't put you above anybody and the snark is not appreciated.
Flyingriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2017, 22:46   #28
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Flyingriki, For what it's worth, I suggest you don't waste you time on that character's remarks. He rarely has anything useful to offer and somehow seems to be under the impression that snide remarks win him accolades or admiration while the opposite is the case. Perhaps as a child he was abused or bullied and so has, consequently, become an abuser/bully himself. Ignore it/him and he will, eventually simply go away for want of attention.

IMHO of course...
Quote:
"A buddy paid a fortune for his..."

I guess to a snarky poster who is so quick to insult that he can't read well and respond appropriately that sounds like Ebay. They weren't....
Do you really want a listing of the snotty things you post? I'll gladly go back and quote a dozen or so.
That kind of insulting nonsense isn't necessary. But since you must be in the moderators clique you continually get away with it.
Money and an oyster doesn't put you above anybody and the snark is not appreciated.
Let's see some pictures of the solar install on your boats...

I've offered up mine and so have others to give the OP some working ideas.
Old 25-08-2017, 22:54   #29

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Because it'll look awful.

Why not instead purchase some flexible panels and attach them directly to the bimini, then it won't look like a "jungle gym" made with an erector set. Less expensive too.
Because as others have indicated panel efficiency, life and cost are important factors for many.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2017, 23:37   #30
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Because as others have indicated panel efficiency, life and cost are important factors for many.
Have you ever installed quality flex panels on your boat? Can you offer up some first hand knowledge regarding the performance of recent vintage flex panels?

Ours are 22% efficient, does it get any better than this at this point in time with solar development?

BTW: Our home and business is 100% solar powered by two arrays, so I do know a thing or two about rigid panels. As it's been pointed out on this thread several times by various participants.... by the time you add in the cost of the unsightly and unnecessary stainless "monkey bars," the cost to install rigid panels will usually exceed the cost to mount quality flex panels to the top of the bimini. So... flex panels can in fact be the less expensive, more efficient option.... not to mention less weight, less windage, you can store them down below in off-season to extend life of panels, etc. Many advantages.

Tags
bimini, panels, solar, solar panels