Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2012, 11:29   #46

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: MPPT Charge controller

You should be getting nothing like that voltage drop with that gauge wire over that distance.

I am not sure how this problem (of maybe a bad conection) is producing your symptoms. However, if there is a defective conection somewhere I would always suspect this of the cause of problems, rather than defective new equipment, which is rare.

I would trace with a multimeter where the voltage drop is occurring. Another option is to wire the CC directly to the battery (use a fuse) with some scrap (thick) wire and see if it performs OK.
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2012, 12:35   #47

Boat: Niagara 35
Also check your ground path carefully. Noelex's idea of a temporary jumper to eliminate problems is a good one. I'd eliminate the voltage drop problem first before thinking about swapping controllers.

Depending on the logic in the controller, it could have a short timed bulk phase. If the voltage drop is that huge, could it be seeing a village greater than 16 after the timer turns off and then thinking it's a 24 volt system?
Old 27-08-2012, 10:12   #48

Boat: Stevens 47
Re: MPPT Charge controller

Hi all,

Just off the phone with Blue Sky and they told me that the version of chip I have - V3.0 - has problems with high voltage panels ... The distributed who sold me the panel and cc were not aware. Annoyed to be handed the problem while dealing with a million other boat issues but was impressed that they will ship us a replacement today and we will ship the old one back.

The voltage drop issue is another issue which I still need to track down.

Really appreciate all the support. The cruising community is great.
Fluenta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mppt