Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2013, 20:02   #91

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Re: Multimeters - What Features To Look For.

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
Yup, the vendor selling the "MS2108" for $39.95 left the "A" off the end. Maybe accidental, but I'm guessing it wasn't.

I did buy an MS2108 on Ebay for $61. It will take another week for it to arrive.
I think you are correct.

I went ahead and ordered the one from Amazon.

Oh well. I am sure I will be happy in the end.

Thanks everybody.
Old 08-09-2013, 20:37   #92

I've owned a lot of meters over the years. Some were NBS traceable. Some were cheap ones. Most were somewhere in-between.

For the most part, the cheap ones are plenty good for average daily use. There are a few things that you need to watch for when buying a meter to use with 12vdc systems.

One thing to watch is the resolution. The last $8 meter that I bought from Harbor Freight only reads down to 1 digit below the decimal point & that last digit is not trustworthy. I can not use that meter to accurately check the voltage on a 12v battery bank.

Another thing to watch is max voltage. Some of the smaller meters that I have seen recently do not go up very high on the ac voltage scale.

If you are buying a clamp-on ammeter, you need to check if it is ac only or ac/dc. The cheap ones are usually ac only.
pbiJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 20:50   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by SURV69 View Post
BTW... if anyone knows how to actually calibrate these things accurately, I'd like to know....
To do it officially & be NBS traceable, you need a device called a calibration standard to test the accuracy of the meter. They are not cheap & are not commonly available at retail outlets.

Once you determine that the meter needs to be adjusted, you then hope that it's adjustable. Most are, but some are not. Adjusting them is often as simple as turning a screw inside the unit. The adjustment method varies with the individual instrument.
Old 08-09-2013, 20:58   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadmus View Post
I assume, like everything these days, they are all make by the same small children in the same asian sweatshop.
The last time that I spoke with a district rep, Simpson meters were still being assembled by native Americans. That was more than 10 years ago.
Old 08-09-2013, 21:01   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
You can trust that he is not putting 800 amperes through any hand held meter!
I just took a look at one of my clap-on meters. It has a 1000 amp range. I bought it off the shelf at Fry's Electronics. It's nothing special.
Old 08-09-2013, 21:06   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Nobody measures current , in a test environment with shunts !!!
I've made many thousands of NBS-traceable precision measurements in laboratory environments using temperature compensated shunts. They work. Some people do still use them.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:09   #97
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
I've made many thousands of NBS-traceable precision measurements in laboratory environments using temperature compensated shunts. They work. Some people do still use them
Yes yes of course, when I meant 'test' I meant a field 'test' environment. hall effect clamps are almost universally used as breaking into the circuit is sometimes a big pain.

Dave
Old 11-09-2013, 18:57   #98

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Well hell!

I got the MS2108 today and the leads are loose in the meter sockets. They don't push in. They just "fall" in and wobble around. Spreading the posts a little did nothing.

Oh well. Will return and hope for a good better one.

Old 11-09-2013, 19:13   #99

Boat: Ross 780
The difference in price also relates to the (safety) category rating, not just accuracy. A cat III rated multimeter will (generally) cost more than a cat II rated one.
A DIY handyman would only need a cat II rated multimeter (for testing mains voltage) or cat I (for testing non-mains stuff) whereas some industrial sites require electricians / technicians to use cat III minimum.

Neil
https://www.madmanmarine.com
Tymadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:37   #100
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Cheap, cheap, cheap often equals junk. My Fluke is an antique and I have saved a ton by buying it so long ago that I can't remember and not ever having to buy one again. Sometimes, spending a little more for quality gear pays off

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:29   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Well hell!

I got the MS2108 today and the leads are loose in the meter sockets. They don't push in. They just "fall" in and wobble around. Spreading the posts a little did nothing.

Well.... I tried to say it earlier....based on working on electronics stuff as a hobby... you get what you pay for. R U gonna use this tool for a long time? FLuke! or other good brand. How many $20 units are you willing to buy before you get a good one.... seems like it always comes down to that with cheap stuff... lord knows I've tried it my share of times!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:03   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
How many $20 units are you willing to buy before you get a good one....
One of my favourite $60 off-brand multimeters regularly comes up on sale for around $20 [oh heck, regular price is now $50]

It's my experience that the $40 to $100 price-point seems to give you a reasonably built meter that will last. I have one Radio-Shack meter that is a near-clone of the Fluke 77 (rubber boot, full auto-ranging, analog bar-graph, beep continuity). It cost $99, came on sale for around $70. It's going on 20 years old but still works well.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 14:42   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Well hell!

Don't mail it back yet!!

I just received mine in the mail. Are you positive the leads don't fit? It might be that you didn't push them in far enough. Mine go in 1/2" before making contact, they go in another 1/4" whereupon they make positive contact and the leads are flush against the surface of the meter. It takes firm pressure to make them seat.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 17:06   #104
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Don't mail it back yet!!

I just received mine in the mail. Are you positive the leads don't fit? It might be that you didn't push them in far enough. Mine go in 1/2" before making contact, they go in another 1/4" whereupon they make positive contact and the leads are flush against the surface of the meter. It takes firm pressure to make them seat.
you can always whack it with a mallet a bit to make it fit
(yep, making fun )
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2013, 14:59   #105

Quote:
Don't mail it back yet!!

OOPS.

I did not push them in that hard. Another set of leads I have fit in only OK. Not tight but OK.

Tags
paracelle