Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2017, 23:21   #46
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32
Re: My cheap electric dinghy experiment

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post

Personally, I would consider a second small battery box for the controller just to keep it away from any off gassing but at $20 for a controller, might try it and see what happens. Worst case you trasha $20 controller.
The op plans to use an AGM battery so I would not hesitate to install the controller inside the battery box lid. If a flooded battery is used I would find a small box, maybe Tupperware or similar, and attach it to the side of the battery box. Makes it simpler to remove it from the dinghy.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 02:44   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
The op plans to use an AGM battery so I would not hesitate to install the controller inside the battery box lid. If a flooded battery is used I would find a small box, maybe Tupperware or similar, and attach it to the side of the battery box. Makes it simpler to remove it from the dinghy.
I wouldn't waste the money on an AGM for this application but yes, that largely eliminates the issue.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 05:57   #48

Boat: 1983 Pearson 424 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwater1 View Post
Which Takacat model do you own? I am in the market for a new dinghy, and I will have similar needs for it's use as you do, so I will be interested in hearing your solutions.

I think you will like that setup given what you say your needs are, especially as you plan to leave the battery charging in the dinghy. I had a small MinnKota on a 13' inflatable and it was fine in terms of speed, and used normally at 50% throttle it went for about 4 hours with a used 90AH battery that was probably really about 70AH. I did not like the weight of that battery on my inflatable floor, and suggest you use a piece of starboard for it to sit on.
Thanks Stillwater. My hope is the big battery box will spread out the weight on the floor of the inflatable.

I ended up going with a 105AH Trojan today. Shipping on that AGM was going to be a grillion dollars if I wanted it this century. The rest of the components arrive Monday.

I own a Takakat Lite. It came with my Pearson when I bought her. I would give it about 3.5 to 4 stars out of five.

Pros: super light, surprisingly stable, collapses into a bag that can be stowed in a cockpit locker, the foot pump is great

Cons: the oak locks - I am not the strongest rower in the world, but the plastic oar locks fail on me. Also, if the dinghy is a little low on air the oar locks pop out of the holders. Hard to describe without seeing it in person, but the oar locks are the weak point.
Old 24-09-2017, 06:00   #49

Quote:
Install the solar controller inside the lid of the battery box.

Here is an example with a Torqueedo. Mine is a bit different. The solar panel on mine is 50 watts and is installed on a "U" shaped stainless tube that fits into brackets attached to the inside of the transom. It can easily be lifted out. My outboard is a 55lb Minn Kota.

That is very cool. Do you find that a 50watt panel is sufficient? I have ordered a 50w and a 100w and intend to return one.
Old 24-09-2017, 06:07   #50

Quote:
Yep. Bought a Trojan 105AH today. It was what was available around here (currently in upstate, NY) and they are good batts.

With this battery is it absolutely necessary to have the controller in a separate location? My plan currently is to install the controller on the opposite side of this large batt box (not above the battery). Im trying to keep everything as self contained as possible for security reasons. I believe this battery box can be locked and secured with a cable lock. I plan to use cable to secure the panel to the top of the box as well.
Old 24-09-2017, 06:17   #51

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine1983 View Post
Cons: the oak locks - I am not the strongest rower in the world, but the plastic oar locks fail on me. Also, if the dinghy is a little low on air the oar locks pop out of the holders. Hard to describe without seeing it in person, but the oar locks are the weak point.
All the inflatables these days seem to have crap for oarlocks. If you want to fix this problem, Google shop for Avon substitute oar locks. They are big beefy things you can slide a thick wooden oar through, and will dramatically increase the 'rowability' of any inflatable. You glue them to the hull.

Edit: link: http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp...893&id=3278210 pricey, but you could also buy an old rover for little money and strip the oarlocks, then save the hypalon for repairs
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 06:58   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownoarsman View Post
All the inflatables these days seem to have crap for oarlocks. If you want to fix this problem, Google shop for Avon substitute oar locks. They are big beefy things you can slide a thick wooden oar through, and will dramatically increase the 'rowability' of any inflatable. You glue them to the hull.

Edit: link: Avon Replacement Oarlocks pricey, but you could also buy an old rover for little money and strip the oarlocks, then save the hypalon for repairs
Good idea. Yeah the oar locks have really been frustrating - nothing like having a motor that won't start on the back of a dinghy who's oar locks keep popping out on a windy day in the middle of a busy waterway.

I will say though that when I contacted Takakat about the issue they sent me replacement parts for free from NZ. So, solid customer service.
Old 24-09-2017, 07:21   #53

Be sure the motor warranty is for saltwater, white ones cost more but are gonna last. Have you checked the auto parts store for the agm? Dont want an acid bath in a dink. Good oarlocks always pay for them selves, the small props on trollers may not handle a gusty day with a full boat.
cptcptcpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 07:57   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptcptcpt View Post
Be sure the motor warranty is for saltwater, white ones cost more but are gonna last. Have you checked the auto parts store for the agm? Dont want an acid bath in a dink. Good oarlocks always pay for them selves, the small props on trollers may not handle a gusty day with a full boat.
All good points. I'm curious to see how 55lbs pushes this dink. I think performance will be decent. Your point about the acid bath is making me rethink the Trojan. I might try to track down an AGM.
Old 24-09-2017, 08:12   #55

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
I also don't use the dink super often (about 4 times a week at most to go a couple hundred yards each time).
Wouldn't a tin of baked beans be cheaper. Eat the beans and then use the paddles to row the dinghy. Bonus points for developing a 6 pack after a couple of months.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 08:43   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Wouldn't a tin of baked beans be cheaper. Eat the beans and then use the paddles to row the dinghy. Bonus points for developing a 6 pack after a couple of months.

Pete

Yes but I'm already way too ripped and I have a super jealous wife.
Old 24-09-2017, 08:48   #57

Maybe a piece of starboard cut to fit in the bottom of the battery box to spread the weight out.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 10:56   #58
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
That is very cool. Do you find that a 50watt panel is sufficient? I have ordered a 50w and a 100w and intend to return one.
Depends how it is used. While the 100 watt panel will charge faster it will be ungainly on the boat. The 50 watt is a better fit if kept on while using the boat as in the pics I posted earlier. 50 watt panel with PWM controller will supply less than 3 amps while the 100 will supply just over 5 amps in full sun.

I have measured the power usage of my Minn Kota 55. Full out about 50 amps but at trolling speed a bit less than 1 amp. With the 50 watt panel I can troll on a sunny day strictly off the solar.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 11:54   #59

For the box, you can get waterproof electrical boxes at lowes, the grey 6"x6" type with screws in the corners. Drill a couple holes at the appropriate downward angle to vent without splash entry. Silicone werner the wires come in. They also take spray paint real well if looks matter.
SeaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 15:15   #60

Don't forget a can of spinach to make the forearms bigger
cptcptcpt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap, dinghy, electric, experiment, men