Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2023, 23:22   #1

Boat: Islander Bahama 30
Need advice on solar idea execution

Hi all,

I have an Islander Bahama 30. I’d like to set up a solar system. I’d like to set it up so I can run 2x 175 watt panels. The way I’d like to do it is to have two 20’ power cables that can run out two portlights. One portlight is in the cockpit, communicating with the quarter berth. The idea is that I can use the quick disconnects to run the cable to a flexible 175 watt panel that I can attach to the bimini with rare earth magnets when at anchor. The other 20’ cable will be set up to go out a portlight in the head or v-berth and hook up to a flexible panel that will sit on the foredeck.

The idea behind this is to provide 350 watts of solar that I can make disappear when not in use. My boat is a coastal cruiser than I sail back and forth to Catalina.

What am looking for is recommendations for what equipment/maker is best for what I’m trying to do. I need a charge controller that can accept two inputs. Plus, I’m not sure what the best flexible panel manufacturer is at the moment and could use some advice.

Also, I would like to include an inverter so that I can charge laptops. I was thinking about a 12v plug-in style inverter but I’m curious to hear about advantages of other systems. Thanks!
zachduckworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 22:00   #2

Re: Need advice on solar idea execution

buy 2 solar controllers.

get victron smartsolar mppt for 175w panels you'll probably want two 75/15

I would try to permanently mount the panels. 350w lleft out 24 hours a day is not going to run a 30' boat if it has a fridge. you will still need dock or engine charging often.

sticking them out every now and then is defiantly not enough.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Advice, solar