Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2017, 12:23   #1

Boat: 42 Krogen #61
Need help with logistics

Currently in Grenada and 1 of 6 (2yr old) Trojan L16H-AC batteries went bad. I went with flooded Trojan batteries originally because I thought, if needed, they would be easier to get. WRONG!

Trojan warranty is for a $31 credit, thats it. So shipping here is costly, customs here is costly. Budget Marine here told me Antiqua had 2 in stock. Antiqua Budget Marine claims none and want $681 for the battery PLUS shipping. The batteries originally cost $350.

So outside of going to USVI, what other islands have low to no import fee, and any idea on cheap shipping?? Any other Trojan suppliers??

Thanks for any input

www.caribbeansealife.com
Sea Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 13:33   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Need help with logistics

Make certain the others are good, if the whole bank is near needing replacement, that frees you up to switch to whatever's available more reasonably.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 14:21   #3

The others are testing 6.3or so. The bad one test 4.25. Last week the battery connected to the bad one and the bad one set of the temp alarms, while the other 4 temps were fine. So disconnected both from bank. Once cooled down the one test ok, the other bad. Trojan seems content with the testing and the results to call it a failure under warranty. But warranty is one year full, and second year pro rated. I do regret not comparing warranties prior to purchase. I put to much into reputation I guess. From new the full charged resting voltage has always been around 12.65

www.caribbeansealife.com
Old 22-09-2017, 15:01   #4

There are some YouTubes on restoring a shot lead-acid cell. I haven't tried it myself.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 15:12   #5

Maybe john61t could weight in here. I am not familiar with the internal workings of a battery. I had assumed it was some kind of short causing the issue, not a sulfated worn out situation. Given the others are great, and they have been treated very well, aside from higher temps due to machinery space location and tropical environment.

But what the hell, I keep forgetting everyone learns everything on YouTube these days, I'll have to check it out. Thanks

www.caribbeansealife.com
Old 22-09-2017, 16:14   #6
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

As John said.

But if you are truly cruising, and you are a "vessel in transit", almost all countries will allow shipments of parts and supplies to a "vessel in transit" without charging any import duties or similar fees. It is, quite simply, not being imported into their country. It is simply going to a vessel that is crossing their waters.

Shipping lead is still going to be expensive, no matter how you slice it. I suspect it will pay to get batteries from a continental source, if that's in your future.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 16:20   #7
cruiser

And being at sea makes warranty pretty irrelevant, unless you found a (grossly overpriced) company that included overseas shipping.

Just overbuy a bit for redundancy, like carrying spares.
Lots of boaters buy new batts every couple years 8-)

Sure you just can't make do with 17% lower capacity?

Have you got a good SoC batt monitor?
Old 22-09-2017, 16:52   #8

The vessel in transit exemption here requires an agent at an added expense. But the shipping is the killer at 120 lbs., ezone gets $3/lb for boat freight.

John, I went with the larger battery capacity to limit the amount of discharge for a longer life span. These batts should last many more years as is evidenced by the other 5 batteries performance and numbers. Virtually no decline in capacity after 2 yrs. Numbers wise when 1 batt went bad, I had to take 2 out of circulation. So its a decrease of 33% or an increase of 50% over current 4 battery bank. I have solar, but that's not the point. Going from 1300 amphrs to 870 amphrs just works the existing batteries harder.... and having a battery sit while the rest of the bank continues to age makes me that much more uncomfortable adding a new battery in 2 years when I return to the states.

I do have SOC meters, the issue is with multiple charging sources and multiple using sources, one tally is impossible. Mostly due to the limited shunt sizes. For instance hoist for boat crane, windlass, not on shunts, I have 2 inverter/chargers to charge batts when gen is running (due to bank size and charger output limitations), and 3 solar controllers. Dual alternators with ther own charge controller, etc. etc. So a total SOC is next to impossible. I use battery voltage and specific gravity of electrolyte to gausge SOC.

But totally sidetracked. I just want to get (1) L16 in the Eastern Caribbean without paying $1000.

Thanks

www.caribbeansealife.com
Old 22-09-2017, 17:02   #9

Boat: Lagoon 450

Have you contacted EZone in Grenada? The consolidate US goods to Miami and manage the duty-free import. Ive used them last year.

eZone (Grenada) Co. Ltd.
T: +473.439.9663
F: +473.439.9072
E: grenada@getezone.com
http://www.getezone.com
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 17:12   #10

Steve, I have not, but Online they state $3/lb. That's $360 in shipping + their fee, for a $360 battery. So I guess what I am looking for is a chandlery with one in stock....or a cheaper shipping option.

www.caribbeansealife.com
Old 22-09-2017, 17:17   #11
cruiser

Sorry just trying to help 'outside the box'

If you really can't get your solution at a reasonable price, getting more capacity with a different make/model won't really hurt anything even if it isn't ideal.

Let's say a decent deal on Rolls Surrette S-550 presented itself and you had space for a pair. . .
Old 22-09-2017, 17:45   #12

John,

On that note, I can get (I think, will need more details, as I dismissed it earlier), a duracell version of the L16, but rated at 360 vs. 435 amphrs at 20amp rate. But was concerned about "twinning it" with the other L16, then paralleling it with the rest. I don't believe they had 2, although still concerned about paralleling the smaller amphrs batts onto the rest.

Your thoughts??

www.caribbeansealife.com
Old 22-09-2017, 17:54   #13

Boat: islandpacket

It would be a pain, but you could make up two banks of different types of batteries and just switch between the two
Old 22-09-2017, 19:35   #14
cruiser

Yes a pair matching is better of course, I think even paralleled in, but a "reserve bank" used for when you hit 50% on the existing bank if you're risk averse.

I'd be wary plugging in one 6V so different to the overall bank.

Keep the extra L16 rotating in as a spare until you get back to "civilization".
Old 22-09-2017, 20:09   #15

Need help with logistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Life View Post

Thanks for any input

Sea Life, You did say ANY input so here goes.

There are hundreds (maybe more) of the batteries you need in boats that are now unfortunately wrecked a bit north of you. If your sailing plans include heading north in a couple months, for season, you can surely find available salvage Trojan batteries in SXM or BVIs at a discount.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote