Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2018, 13:58   #16
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Need new alternator regulator

I think one major issue most people do with their regulator is to have the sense wire on the alternator output instead of directly on the batteries.
Old 09-01-2018, 14:27   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I think one major issue most people do with their regulator is to have the sense wire on the alternator output instead of directly on the batteries.

My first reg I went directly to the bank, you know to be sure to do the right thing.
When I installed the 614, I measured the voltage at the bank, and at the big terminal at the starter. Measuring less than .1V difference, I am now sensing bank voltage at the big lug on the starter, which by the way is also where the alternator output is connected.
I have to guess that as long as you have substantial wiring from the bank to the starter, this is fine.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 14:39   #18

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

I am surprised by the poor performance displayed by Belmar, which was to my eyes top-in-class. No more..
Otherwise, l am not at all surprised by the Sterling review. Point with electric gear, is not just programmed life/obsolescence. Point is, they give up all at once, leaving you in the sh**.

And , given the cost, and price/kg of those little boxes, l find it hardly acceptable.

We customers must not accept this all.
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 14:46   #19

Boat: Swanson 36 in Australia Bavaria 42 in Med

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
I’ll second the ample power. We’ve got the SAR V3, the predecessor to the NS regulator. It’s easily setup, robust, and just works.
Yep I,ve got the Ample Power SAR V3 also on a Bosch alternator. Had it 11 years. Excellent.
patprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 17:37   #20
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Does the Ample allow for custom user tweaking of voltage setpoints like the 614, or just a list of canned choices?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 17:43   #21

Boat: Swanson 36 in Australia Bavaria 42 in Med

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Does the Ample allow for custom user tweaking of voltage setpoints like the 614, or just a list of canned choices?
Smart Alternator Regulator, V3 Manual

Above link is to details. Some tweaking can be done.
patprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 18:08   #22

Boat: Krogen 42

I've had good luck with Sterling Power units. Cost effective too.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:43   #23

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
No, for setpoints you're left with what the dip switch options are. There are pots to adjust the max field current and the like. So IMHO this regulator wouldn't be appropriate for the likes of lithium batts, but for Lead Acid (no matter the form) it's been great.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 15:40   #24
cruiser

I'd want full customability as the MC-614 offers, even for some specialized lead chemistries.

Most here would see it as an experimental science project, but just to be complete:

Al Thomason's Open source "Smart Alternator Regulator" SAR project

http://arduinoalternatorregulator.blogspot.com/

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=195059

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/....php?p=2390188
Old 11-01-2018, 00:18   #25

Boat: Jeanneau 42 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Chen View Post
From memory the Mastervolt Alpha is designed for Negative field control, whereas your Balmar I think would be Positive. As such I think some alterations would need to be made to the Alternator.

I can understand the suggestion if the rest of your electrical installation is Mastervolt since then an Alpha regulator will integrate over the Masterbus, which can make configuration and monitoring neat if the system includes Mastershunt and a display, but if you have been happy with the 612, then why not stick with Balmar?
All balmar alternators can also be used as negative regulated. I use the mastervolt Alpha regulator on my two balmar AT200 combined with Lifepo4 and it has a lot of great adjustment settings.

You do need the USB adapter to set ut up just right.
offpist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 01:38   #26

Boat: Southerly

Quote:
Originally Posted by offpist View Post
All balmar alternators can also be used as negative regulated. I use the mastervolt Alpha regulator on my two balmar AT200 combined with Lifepo4 and it has a lot of great adjustment settings.

You do need the USB adapter to set ut up just right.
OK thanks for the correction - I was referring to the 100amp the OP has, which when I looked in 2016 was Positive field only - Hence my Alpha Reg is mated to a different brand - The AT series were more than I needed at the time - Good to know the 100amp is now compatible for next time I change..
Adrian Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:30   #27

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

The Ample Power regulator mentioned is in the $450 range or did I view a wrong model? Balmar 614 with the harness and the two tempretature sensors (sold seperately mostly) comes to about $470, so are these regs really so equal in price? I always thought Balmar was clearly the most expensive one on the market..
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 07:58   #28

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikFinn View Post
The Ample Power regulator mentioned is in the $450 range or did I view a wrong model? Balmar 614 with the harness and the two tempretature sensors (sold seperately mostly) comes to about $470, so are these regs really so equal in price? I always thought Balmar was clearly the most expensive one on the market..

That sounds about right.

The ample power unit is a nice piece, and reliable. The ability to survive a shorted field saved my bacon when the alt stay bracket broke and shorted the field lug to the heat exchanger. I don’t know if the balmar unit can survive that. However the ample power sarv3 does not support alt temp sensing, only battery, so there is that difference. I’ve just dialed back the max field current to de-rate the alt and keep it cool.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:01   #29

Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikFinn View Post
The Ample Power regulator is in the $450 range ... Balmar 614 with the harness and the two tempretature sensors (sold seperately mostly) comes to about $470...
Yikes! $450++ vs. $80? I guess this industry isn't price driven. More $$ isn't necessarily better. Neither of those expensive regulators know when the battery is full, or what the state of charge is. Why pay all that $$ for a dumb regulator?
Old 11-01-2018, 16:24   #30
cruiser

Actually I also think that's a decent price for the Balmar.

It's very adjustable on the charging parameters, more so than most shore chargers.

I think only Al's FOSS one I mentioned above can be guided by a batt-attached shunt, which IMO is the only way a charge source can detect Full, via trailing amps.

Tags
alternator, regulator