Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2017, 18:06   #1

New battery type?

Apparently, inventor of Lithium-ion batteries developed new battery design all-solid-state:
Quote:
"It’s cheap, it has a longer life cycle, it charges and discharges quickly and, best of all, it’s noncombustible
The all-solid-state battery cells have at least three times as much energy density as lithium-ion batteries...
The new battery can be charged and discharged more times than a lithium-cell battery..."
Link: Lithium-ion battery inventor touts new battery breakthrough | Fox News

I hope Chineese will jump to it fast (I doubt Americans are able to reasonably produce anything anymore), and it will not be 30+ years...
BambooSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 18:51   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: New battery type?

Long time to trial prove, raise capital, tool mfg, promote market, distribution.

And do you want to be the pioneer? Go for it, collect the arrows for the rest of us.

Five years goes by quick. . .
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 19:38   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Discussd very recently here:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ed-180891.html
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 20:12   #4
cruiser

https://qz.com/929794/has-lithium-ba...are-skeptical/
Old 21-03-2017, 03:46   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
If it seems to be too good to be true....

But I'll still keep hoping that Goodenough is right.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 04:46   #6

Boat: Freedom 38

Interesting timing for this thread. We are just about finished with our refit of Her Diamond and plan to depart Cleveland for a year or 2 of cruising in August - East Coast, Bahamas, further south... One of the last things we need to do is replace our (believe it or not) 15 year old Lifeline AGMs. The 3 group 27s have served well for day sailing, long weekends and annual vacations. I was planning to replace with 3 Lifeline group 31s. I'm wondering if there are better choices I should be considering. Battery compartment will hold 3 27s with no modification, 31s with only slight modification. Charging is principally a 100 amp alternator and a 3.5kw diesel gen set. Appreciate your thoughts.
Bob
Sailmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 04:52   #7

The particular type of battery being discussed in this thread is still experimental. It is not available to the general public yet, and will not be for several years at the very least (assuming it turns out to be feasible at all).

Personally, for right now, I would go with either AGMs or lead/acid batteries. There are many threads on here that discuss the various pros and cons of the different battery types.

Good luck.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 04:57   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Any battery that has lasted 15 yrs is likely well past dead, but obviously still usable as you are using them.
You have apparently at least have that chemistry well figured out and have all systems in place to care for them.
What is it about them that you don't like, what do they do that isn't acceptable to you?
I ask cause why in the world would you want to do anything but replace them for another set and get another 15 yrs out of them?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 06:30   #9
cruiser

Now what's the fun in that?

A thread talking about LiFePO4 going obsolete vs real-life practical types saying it's not yet ready for end-users.

No matter how many leading-edge tech R&D jetskis and zodiacs gambol in the waves, they don't have much influence in the short term on the market, which turns like an aircraft carrier.
Old 21-03-2017, 06:38   #10
mrm

Boat: crew on Bavaria 38 Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
If it seems to be too good to be true....

But I'll still keep hoping that Goodenough is right.
They claim energy density of 8.5Wh/g in the reversible voltage range. If I did my math correctly, this gives energy density of 30.6 MJ/kg.

This is comparable to diesel fuel energy density of 48 MJ/kg - certainly same league. If one now includes differences in diesel and electrical efficiency into the equation and if their solution scales to commercial deployment... Wow!
mrm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery