Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2014, 12:07   #1

Boat: None at the moment
New charger for a new AGM house bank

I just got a new AGM battery for a house battery and I want to get a new charger for it. I have a second charger for my engine start battery and it's a Sterling ProCharge 12V/20A and I've been really happy with it so far. So I was thinking about getting another one for my house battery. I was wondering what the charge acceptance rate is/what amperage I can use. It's an Intimidator 8A4D, 1110 CCA, and 198Ah @ 20 hrs. How about this one: Sterling ProCharge Ultra 12 volt 60 Amp Batttery Charger

Then also, is there anything else I need to know or change when going from LA to AGM? I've read some stuff about needing a controller on the alternator but mine is pretty low power and all the main charging will be done with the generator and AC battery charger like above.

Thanks!
Toubab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2014, 13:12   #2

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
Re: New charger for a new AGM house bank

AGMs can accept 30-50% of their amphour rating in amps while charging unlike LA which are limited to 25%. So your 60 amp charger would be perfect for a 200 AH battery.

Unless your alternator has an external regulator, in which case it probably has an AGM setting, the OEM charging voltage will be fine for AGMs. They are very close to LAs in their voltage requirements.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
agm, charger