Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2013, 14:03   #1

Boat: None at the moment
New Small, Indoor-Mounted Battery Charger

Hey all.

I've been researching off and on trying to figure out how I want to redo my battery charging system and I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on the first part. I want to get a small charger to keep my engine battery topped off. The engine battery is an AGM. I think I need around 15 amps of output, and I'm going to mount it inside the cabin so it doesn't need to be completely waterproof.

I found this: CTEK M200 battery charger but I've been having a little bit of trouble finding the US version and a US retailer. Anyone know where I could find that?

Any others that I should look at? £151.62 comes out to $237.68 and that's about as much as I'm looking to spend.

Thanks!
Toubab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2013, 07:54   #2
Zil

Re: New small, indoor-mounted battery charger

smartcharger.com
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2013, 15:23   #3

Re: New small, indoor-mounted battery charger

Perhaps you could explain why you only want to charge your start bank.

Marine Battery Chargers - Installation Tips & Considerations - SailboatOwners.com
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:29   #4

Boat: None at the moment
Re: New Small, Indoor-Mounted Battery Charger

I have a battery charger already that's set up to charge both the house and engine batteries but they're different chemistries so I want to have separate chargers. I've been thinking a lot about my different options and I like this one the best because I think it simplifies things in some ways because I don't have to worry about having one battery being chronically over/under charged or any diodes or anything like that. Plus then I have a backup charger that can be switched to the other bank in an emergency.
Toubab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:36   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toubab View Post
I have a battery charger already that's set up to charge both the house and engine batteries but they're different chemistries so I want to have separate chargers. I've been thinking a lot about my different options and I like this one the best because I think it simplifies things in some ways because I don't have to worry about having one battery being chronically over/under charged or any diodes or anything like that. Plus then I have a backup charger that can be switched to the other bank in an emergency.
That's very sound thinking

Have a look at the offerings from Sterling, and from Victron. Both of these make small multistage chargers which would be good for start batteries. Less than $200, I believe.

You don't need much amperage in a charger for a start battery, because the amount of power to be replaced is negligible. The main thing is that it should have a good float mode (Victrons even have a maintenance mode, where very little voltage is applied, but an absorption charge is automatically applied once a week).
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:39   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here you go:

Victron Blue Power Battery Chargers

$184
Old 05-09-2013, 11:42   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

And another:

Marine Battery Charger - Sterling Power Pro Charge Ultra- Power Factor Corrected Battery Charger (PFC) PCU - 10amp two bank
Old 05-09-2013, 11:57   #8

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.

Go solar, with a Control Unit to suit the battery type. Best way by far for house batteries except while running a/c and will keep Starter batteries topped up where ever you are.
Flexible ones give all day charging and can be walked on, (slippery when wet but not fragile).
No worries if you're away from the boat either.

Tags
battery, charger