Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2023, 11:49   #1

Boat: Noelex 25 trailer sailer
New switch panel

Hi there, I need to install a new switch panel with 6 switches. The problem is that I have much more devices than 6, more like 12. Is it OK to load more than one device on to a switch? I assume it's OK as the previous owner has piggy backed devices together with those piggy back spade terminals. But what if I need to put 3 or even 4 devices on to one switch? Cabin lights for example, I have 4 of those. 4 wires piggybacked would look messy sticking out the back of a switch panel. I've heard talk of positive busbars, but I'm not sure of the set up. I understand negative busbars to a battery easily enough, but positive busbars to a switch panel is a bit of a mystery to me?
Am I on the right track or way off?
Some guidance would be much appreciated 🙏
Wishing you all a very Happy New Year
amoret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 14:46   #2

Re: New switch panel

I have made my own positive posts so that 4-5 wires from it are fed to the fuse and switch. They are great for low amperage items like lites and fans.

Cut a small piece of starboard or wood with a hole saw.-2" dia.
In the hole in the middle incert a #10 machine screw and secure it with a flat washer, lock washer and nut.

Drill 2 more holes iin thge circular disc. They will be for small screws to secure the disc to a bulkhead.

From the items that need power, crimp on rings that will fit the #10 machine screw and fit on.

From the switch-fuse (or circult breaker) run the + wire to the #10 screw.

Probable not for high amperage use, but great ofr little iterms .

Bob
roberttigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 20:51   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoret View Post
Hi there, I need to install a new switch panel with 6 switches. The problem is that I have much more devices than 6, more like 12. Is it OK to load more than one device on to a switch? I assume it's OK as the previous owner has piggy backed devices together with those piggy back spade terminals. But what if I need to put 3 or even 4 devices on to one switch? Cabin lights for example, I have 4 of those. 4 wires piggybacked would look messy sticking out the back of a switch panel. I've heard talk of positive busbars, but I'm not sure of the set up. I understand negative busbars to a battery easily enough, but positive busbars to a switch panel is a bit of a mystery to me?
You seriously need to understand the current draw for each device and the wire size required for that current and the breaker (or fuse) size required. Other wise you could have a number of issues.

In North America any savvy surveyor would call you out for having more than four positive connections on one terminal ... not sure about NZ, you should look into that.
Old 01-01-2023, 21:20   #4

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
I'm thinking that the system on your Noelex isn't too sophisticated and what you want to do is quite doable.
Most of the things on my switchboard are single item, single switch however there are a few that have multiple items switched at whatever the items are. Cabin lights are the big one, shower sump pumps the other.

Your existing arrangement sounds pretty rubbish.
What I would suggest is a small secondary panel behind your switchboard. Mount a couple of bus bars similar to these https://www.bluesea.com/products/231...ang_with_Cover
on that board - one wire from switchboard - then wires onwards from there to load. That way you overcome the 'no more than four' rule. Make sure the switches are fused big enough to handle 'all loads on at once'.

Hope this helps,
Happy New Year.
Ping
Old 02-01-2023, 02:00   #5

Thanks for the that boat poker. The current draw for the 4 led lights is 4 x .3a = 1.2a. If I use 7.5a wire and 5a fuse. Do you reckon that's safe enough? Just as well I posted this question, I might've blown the boat up.
Old 02-01-2023, 02:16   #6

Thanks Ping, makes a lot of sense. Yes, it's a rather uncomplicated, low drawing system on my small boat. Those 100A Mini BusBars look the way to go because it is a confined space behind the switch panel. One thing that has always puzzled me is why my boat has switch panels when every device or appliance has it's own switch? So long as the battery has an isolation switch and every device is fused correctly, what's the point? Thanks again
Old 02-01-2023, 08:19   #7

Boat: Nordhavn 40 II

Amoret,

Here is a link to a calculator to assist you in determining the appropriate wire gauge to use…

Circuit Wizard - Blue Sea Systems

Jeff
IRENE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 15:18   #8

Thanks Jeff, very handy tool. I was just looking for such a thing.
Old 02-01-2023, 18:56   #9

Quote:
What you need is a BlueSea 5025
Six isolated fused circuits with a negative buss bar
Feed via one breaker from your panel
Less than 40 bucks from Amazon.
On a recent rewire I put one in each stateroom,head, and port/starboard
sides of salon and under the pedestal
Never ever have to worry about adding anything anywhere.
Pay attention to fusing as others have mentioned
Cheers
Neil
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote