Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2020, 00:56   #106

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: New Victron MPPT Firmware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo1404 View Post
Still waiting for an update to fix the slow amperage refresh.
The latest software that was released on May 23 was reportedly to fix the update rate of the battery current reading.

I presume you have uploaded this and it has not fixed the problem. Is that correct?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D807D0E3-9A5A-49ED-B5DA-F780F547B7E8.jpeg
Views:	72
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	215741  
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 00:59   #107

Boat: Lidgard yacht 32ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
The latest software that was released on May 23 was reportedly to fix the update rate of the battery current reading.

I presume you have uploaded this and it has not fixed the problem. Is that correct?
No this update hasn't shown up yet.
Davo1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 01:49   #108

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo1404 View Post
No this update hasn't shown up yet.
The updates do tend to be released at different times for different platforms.

I don’t know if it will fix the issue, as I was not having any problems before this update, but I would expect so. However, the fix involves removing the improved resolution.
Old 23-07-2020, 05:48   #109

So is there a way to send the real end amps info that are flowing into battery to the mppt using the BMV712? Or some other way? Like a add on wireless shunt?
JmanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2021, 08:40   #110

Boat: Nauticat 33

I’ll try reviving this old thread regarding the rebulk voltage offset for Victron MPPTs.

I have 3 100/20 MPPTs charging my 12v house bank. They usually have the batteries fully charged around noon and then go to float mode. I have my rebulk voltage set to 12.9v. After a couple of hours of float voltage, the bank has usually dropped below the rebulk voltage of 12.9v, however the chargers do not switch back to the bulk setting. I can force them to do so by switching them on and off, or turning on a large load dropping the battery voltage well below the rebulk setting of 12.9v.

I’ve tried the Victron forums with no luck, and Google turns up dead ends. I read this whole thread and have turned off the tail current option (although I don’t know that that affects the rebulk setting). Any thoughts? Does everyone else’s systems start a new bulk charge after 1 minute below the rebulk voltage?
cofc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2021, 09:05   #111

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofc View Post
...After a couple of hours of float voltage, the bank has usually dropped below the rebulk voltage of 12.9v...
If you're losing amp hours in float mode, I would up the float voltage just enough to keep the amps slightly positive (into the batteries).
Old 27-08-2021, 10:41   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
If you're losing amp hours in float mode, I would up the float voltage just enough to keep the amps slightly positive (into the batteries).
I think the problem with that would be that none of the loss are static. I have refrigerators turning on and off, kids charging laptops, etc. if I increase float to cover that, when the loads are actually off, the float will be too high.

It seems there’s functionality in the chargers to fix this issue, but for some reason it doesn’t work on my system.
Old 27-08-2021, 12:02   #113

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I’ll try reviving this old thread regarding the rebulk voltage offset for Victron MPPTs.

I have 3 100/20 MPPTs charging my 12v house bank. They usually have the batteries fully charged around noon and then go to float mode. I have my rebulk voltage set to 12.9v. After a couple of hours of float voltage, the bank has usually dropped below the rebulk voltage of 12.9v, however the chargers do not switch back to the bulk setting. I can force them to do so by switching them on and off, or turning on a large load dropping the battery voltage well below the rebulk setting of 12.9v.

I’ve tried the Victron forums with no luck, and Google turns up dead ends. I read this whole thread and have turned off the tail current option (although I don’t know that that affects the rebulk setting). Any thoughts? Does everyone else’s systems start a new bulk charge after 1 minute below the rebulk volt
You can force a re-bulk/absorption cycle by using the "equalisation" cycle. If you want to use this feature, set the equalisation voltage to be the same as the absorption voltage rather than the much higher voltage that would normally be used for equalisation.

Then if you want to force the controller to initiate another absorption period, the "equalisation" mode can be selected via the app. The extra absorption time can be set for a few minutes or a few hours depending on what is needed, and can be canceled with a push of a button on the app.
Old 28-08-2021, 04:15   #114

Quote:
You can force a re-bulk/absorption cycle by using the "equalisation" cycle. If you want to use this feature, set the equalisation voltage to be the same as the absorption voltage rather than the much higher voltage that would normally be used for equalisation.

Then if you want to force the controller to initiate another absorption period, the "equalisation" mode can be selected via the app. The extra absorption time can be set for a few minutes or a few hours depending on what is needed, and can be canceled with a push of a button on the app.
Yeah, I saw that you recommended that earlier in the thread. I appreciate it, but it’s a bummer that we’re still having to work around a problem that Victron “solved” but didn’t solve. Unless I’m doing something wrong. Do your controllers rebulk at whatever setting you specify?
Old 28-08-2021, 06:02   #115

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Yeah, I saw that you recommended that earlier in the thread. I appreciate it, but it’s a bummer that we’re still having to work around a problem that Victron “solved” but didn’t solve. Unless I’m doing something wrong. Do your controllers rebulk at whatever setting you specify?

My 100/30 MPPTs rebulk after 1 minute at the set rebulk voltage, just like the book says they should. Once in float, the only time I'll get a rebulk is if I draw enough power to exceed the max available solar output and then pull the voltage down to the rebulk limit. Otherwise the MPPTs just turn up the amps and stay in float (maintaining float voltage).

Keep in mind when you're doing settings, the rebulk voltage is set as an offset from float voltage, not an absolute voltage. So if you set it to 1V, it'll rebulk 1 volt below float voltage.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2021, 06:52   #116

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
They re-bulk without any problem in my system, but the Victron algorithm does not initiate any extra absorption time.

So if you have high drain on the system (for example some electric cooking) if this is done after the normal absorption time is finished, the controller will initiate a new bulk cycle in response to the reduced battery voltage from the high load (re-bulk voltage reached), but once the absorption voltage is reached the system will drop back to float without initiating any new absorption time.

The above will replace some of the energy used on the high load, but typically not all. The controller will be in float when the batteries are less than 100% full. This is where manually initiating a new absorption cycle using the trick of selecting "equalisation" (which is set to absorption voltage) is most worthwhile.

Of course a perfect charging algorithm would do this without manual intervention, but these charging algorithms are never perfect. Tweaking the process manually, as I tend to do, probably only has slight practical benefit on battery life so if you prefer a set and forget system that is also fine.
Old 28-08-2021, 11:11   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
My 100/30 MPPTs rebulk after 1 minute at the set rebulk voltage, just like the book says they should. Once in float, the only time I'll get a rebulk is if I draw enough power to exceed the max available solar output and then pull the voltage down to the rebulk limit. Otherwise the MPPTs just turn up the amps and stay in float (maintaining float voltage).

Keep in mind when you're doing settings, the rebulk voltage is set as an offset from float voltage, not an absolute voltage. So if you set it to 1V, it'll rebulk 1 volt below float voltage.
Hmm, I must be doing something wrong. I have float voltage set to 13.02v (per US Battery specs) and my rebulk offset to 0.12v. So theoretically once the battery voltage drops below 12.9v for one minute it should initiate a new bulk cycle, correct? However it’s not. I’ve come back to the boat at 2:00pm, in full sun, with the batteries at 12.7v and the charge controllers in float.

I do have my starting battery connected to the BMV-712, which is networked with the charge controllers. But surely they’re not taking the starting battery voltage into account when deciding when to rebulk, right? It’s on a relay so it always stays at 13v.

Old 28-08-2021, 18:53   #118

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
They re-bulk without any problem in my system, but the Victron algorithm does not initiate any extra absorption time.

So if you have high drain on the system (for example some electric cooking) if this is done after the normal absorption time is finished, the controller will initiate a new bulk cycle in response to the reduced battery voltage from the high load (re-bulk voltage reached), but once the absorption voltage is reached the system will drop back to float without initiating any new absorption time.

The above will replace some of the energy used on the high load, but typically not all. The controller will be in float when the batteries are less than 100% full. This is where manually initiating a new absorption cycle using the trick of selecting "equalisation" (which is set to absorption voltage) is most worthwhile.

Of course a perfect charging algorithm would do this without manual intervention, but these charging algorithms are never perfect. Tweaking the process manually, as I tend to do, probably only has slight practical benefit on battery life so if you prefer a set and forget system that is also fine.
With mine set to a fixed absorption time and ending based on tail current they do go through a full absorb cycle to target tail current on a rebulk.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2021, 00:58   #119

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Hmm, I must be doing something wrong. I have float voltage set to 13.02v (per US Battery specs) and my rebulk offset to 0.12v. So theoretically once the battery voltage drops below 12.9v for one minute it should initiate a new bulk cycle, correct? However it’s not. I’ve come back to the boat at 2:00pm, in full sun, with the batteries at 12.7v and the charge controllers in float.

I do have my starting battery connected to the BMV-712, which is networked with the charge controllers. But surely they’re not taking the starting battery voltage into account when deciding when to rebulk, right? It’s on a relay so it always stays at 13v.
The normal behaviour is to initiate the bulk phase and then drop back to float if the absorption time has expired. So it is not surprising it was sitting at float, but in full sun that should be at the 13.02v you have set rather than 12.7. It should not be using the starting battery voltage, but a don't have a Victron battery monitor so I cannot offer any suggestions on what might be wrong, but I am sure someone else can help.

With the BMV-712 you should have the option to terminate the absorption phase using battery return amps. This is the most accurate way to ensure the absorption time is correct on every cycle, so this option is worth selecting.
Old 29-08-2021, 01:09   #120

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
With mine set to a fixed absorption time and ending based on tail current they do go through a full absorb cycle to target tail current on a rebulk.

This makes sense. The re-bulk voltage will initiate a new absorption cycle if the absorption time has not previously expired.

Unfortunately, tail current will not terminate the absorption cycle accurately. For example: if there is a load greater than the tail current setting, the absorption phase will never be terminated.

Tags
mppt