Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2021, 06:28   #121

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: New Victron MPPT Firmware

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Unfortunately, tail current will not terminate the absorption cycle accurately. For example: if there is a load greater than the tail current setting, the absorption phase will never be terminated.

I've got a Smartshunt and a Cerbo GX in the system, so with DVCC shared current sense enabled, it avoids that problem. It uses the current sensed by the shunt to end absorb (rather than output current from the MPPTs), so with my tail current set to 5 amps, once the batteries are accepting less than 5 amps (regardless of load) both MPPTs drop to float. Now if only the Multiplus inverter could end absorption this way (and had an adjustable re-bulk voltage).
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2021, 07:09   #122

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
I've got a Smartshunt and a Cerbo GX in the system, so with DVCC shared current sense enabled, it avoids that problem. It uses the current sensed by the shunt to end absorb (rather than output current from the MPPTs), so with my tail current set to 5 amps, once the batteries are accepting less than 5 amps (regardless of load) both MPPTs drop to float. Now if only the Multiplus inverter could end absorption this way (and had an adjustable re-bulk voltage).
Using battery return amps from a shunt rather than the tail current from the solar controller is the ideal system to terminate the absorb cycle at the correct point. The advantage over a simple algorithim using the solar controller is that the absorption cycle is terminated correctly every cycle. It is, however, complex, requiring comunication betweeen the battery monitor and the solar controller, so it is not for every system.
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2021, 18:40   #123

Boat: Nauticat 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofc View Post
Hmm, I must be doing something wrong. I have float voltage set to 13.02v (per US Battery specs) and my rebulk offset to 0.12v. So theoretically once the battery voltage drops below 12.9v for one minute it should initiate a new bulk cycle, correct? However it’s not. I’ve come back to the boat at 2:00pm, in full sun, with the batteries at 12.7v and the charge controllers in float.

I do have my starting battery connected to the BMV-712, which is networked with the charge controllers. But surely they’re not taking the starting battery voltage into account when deciding when to rebulk, right? It’s on a relay so it always stays at 13v.

Following up on this. After speaking to my sales rep, and him talking to Victron, we realized that having Temperature Compensation enabled was for some reason causing this problem. After disabling this setting, the charge controllers re enter bulk charging as they should after meeting the threshold voltage for a period of one minute. My temperature compensation setting was set to the default of 9mV per degree Fahrenheit.

I didn’t find out why it was causing the problem, but disabling temperature compensation seems to have fixed it for now.
cofc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2021, 14:21   #124

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofc View Post

I didn’t find out why it was causing the problem, but disabling temperature compensation seems to have fixed it for now.

That’s kind of a poor compromise, don’t you think? Temperature compensation is there for a good reason and one of the reasons to buy these sorts of regulators. I’d be getting back on the phone to Victron until the issue was fixed.

Tags
mppt