Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2020, 02:58   #46
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: New Victron Multi 5kVA added to Old Multi 3kVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Here’s my latest version. Read the small print about independent operation which is your setup.

You can connect BUS 3 to either bypass or the OUT 2 of the 5kW unit.

You see that you get to my diagram every time? What you connect to OUT 1 is just one of my distribution groups and to OUT 2 is another distribution group. I just have switches to easily connect them to something else but the principle of the diagram is the same.
Very impressive Nick and while yours is pretty complicated for me, it was easier to follow than your previous version.

I do like your concept which I will try and draw out properly following your guidance.

Queries which I circled in this Draft Drawing:
  1. Floating Power Feed (No Neutral)... Is that because Jedi is Alloy or because you are using Galvanic Isolator/ Auto Transformers??
  2. In my case as a Steel boat, everything is grounded to the Hull at some point, so from my Isolation Transformer do I keep labeling as L1, N or L2, Gnd?
I tried following your small print guidance for Independent operation, labeling Bus 1,2,3 as explained, but got kinda lost with all your extra stuff when shifting OUT 1 of Inverter 2. and trying to modify

What I will physically have is 2 seperate distribution Panels which are Selectable as described in this Draft Drawing
  1. Group A Panel for Light AC Loads with either of the inverter's output 1 and BYPASS
  2. Group B for Aircons thru power assist with OutPut 2 or BYPASS
Could you help clarify the Selectable path's again for Light and Heavy loads and I think I only need 2 x 4 Position Source Select Switches?
...Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 1 1a SG MODIFIED Jedi Latest.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	348.9 KB
ID:	224299  
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2020, 12:34   #47
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Very impressive Nick and while yours is pretty complicated for me, it was easier to follow than your previous version.

I do like your concept which I will try and draw out properly following your guidance.

Queries which I circled in this Draft Drawing:
  1. Floating Power Feed (No Neutral)... Is that because Jedi is Alloy or because you are using Galvanic Isolator/ Auto Transformers??
  2. In my case as a Steel boat, everything is grounded to the Hull at some point, so from my Isolation Transformer do I keep labeling as L1, N or L2, Gnd?
I tried following your small print guidance for Independent operation, labeling Bus 1,2,3 as explained, but got kinda lost with all your extra stuff when shifting OUT 1 of Inverter 2. and trying to modify

What I will physically have is 2 seperate distribution Panels which are Selectable as described in this Draft Drawing
  1. Group A Panel for Light AC Loads with either of the inverter's output 1 and BYPASS
  2. Group B for Aircons thru power assist with OutPut 2 or BYPASS
Could you help clarify the Selectable path's again for Light and Heavy loads and I think I only need 2 x 4 Position Source Select Switches?
...Thanks
You seem to have 230V 50Hz? If so, that is single ended and you simply have a grounded neutral (blue wire) and a phase/hot brown wire. So where I have a black and red, you have blue and brown.

You do need the breakers on OUT1 of the units. Every input and every output requires a breaker.

If you only have two distribution panels/groups you only need two source select switches. You can create as many or as little groups as you like.

Now the busses... your primary inverter, for what you want, clearly OUT 1 to BUS 1 and OUT 2 to BUS 2. Then your old/backup inverter, OUT 1 to BUS 3. You can drop the bypass breaker.

So the source select switches get:
0 - OFF
1 - Shore/generator/inverter no-break power
2 - Shore/generator only, no inverter power
3 - Shore/generator/inverter no-break power, old backup unit.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2020, 13:46   #48
CF Adviser

Quote:
You seem to have 230V 50Hz? If so, that is single ended and you simply have a grounded neutral (blue wire) and a phase/hot brown wire. So where I have a black and red, you have blue and brown.

You do need the breakers on OUT1 of the units. Every input and every output requires a breaker.

If you only have two distribution panels/groups you only need two source select switches. You can create as many or as little groups as you like.

Now the busses... your primary inverter, for what you want, clearly OUT 1 to BUS 1 and OUT 2 to BUS 2. Then your old/backup inverter, OUT 1 to BUS 3. You can drop the bypass breaker.

So the source select switches get:
0 - OFF
1 - Shore/generator/inverter no-break power
2 - Shore/generator only, no inverter power
3 - Shore/generator/inverter no-break power, old backup unit.
Great, I will redraw and send back.
Presently.redoing the console for the new Victron CCgx and making space for the select switches and breakers

That CCgx is impressive kit

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ccgx:start
Old 30-09-2020, 18:52   #49
CF Adviser

Quote:
That is correct, I am European 230V 50Hz

1. Below is my Draft 1 1a which I've labeled a bit better. Is that drawing correct?
  2. On the Green Ground (my core color is Green/Yellow) I left unfinished to confirm that the ground wire should simply follow the Blue and Brown path Is that the correct way to finish drawing?
  3. One last item of confusion for me is my existing Source Select Breaker on the Paneltronics Board. I left it on this drawing to help you visualize. ...How would you wire to those 3 lock out supply breakers with the two new Source select groups, or do you have a neater idea?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 1a SG MODIFIED Jedi Latest.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	351.8 KB
ID:	224437  
Old 30-09-2020, 19:03   #50
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Your diagram looks okay. Every panel and appliance neecs tobe grounded at that busbar. One thing to check: with multimeter on resistance mode, check that isolation transformer ground in is not connected to ground out.

The rotary gen-shore switch is superior to the breakers with lockout butthe rotary switch needs breakers as well, so the panel you have is to save costs and you can use it. Just disable the 3rd inverter choice as it is obsolete.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote