Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2021, 08:01   #1

Boat: Hylas 49
NMEA 2000 fuel senders?

Looking to add fuel gauges to my fuel and water tanks. I've used KUS senders and a gauge in the past, but I'd like to connect the sender directly to the NMEA backbone without installing a sensor and converter.

Does anyone have any experience with any of these?
https://www.defender.com/category.js...-1|344|2028701
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 21:23   #2

Re: NMEA 2000 fuel senders?

My best experances are with Oceanic Systems

You either need to order or cut to length. Then calibrate.

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=5526215

The Maretron ones I have had issues with not lasting long.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 01:58   #3
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

All nmea2000 sensors have converters either internally or externally. It makes little sense to replace a analog sender with an integrated nmea 2000 one , as it’s the physical sender that tends to fail and with the integrated unit yiu have a much more expensive replacement

I use the CX5003 $100 converter there’s also the simpler and cheaper $60 CX5001 now available. ( see AliExpress ) for fuel senders.

Yacht devices also make one circa $150:
Old 08-10-2021, 06:41   #4

Thanks. There are no senders now, just dip sticks. I figured I'd go for the all in one solution.
Old 08-10-2021, 06:45   #5

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
...I use the CX5003 $100 converter...
I have a question about the CX5003. I notice it has dedicated terminals for various inputs; fuel tank 1, fuel tank 2, water tank 1, etc.

What happens when you only populate some of the inputs? For example, say I wanted to use it for only fuel and water tanks. Would my NMEA 2000 devices be seeing "zero" data for all the other values, such as engine water pressure, rudder angle, etc.?

I'm concerned because I already have other NMEA 2000 sensors sending various data. I don't want my MFD and other devices confused by seeing the "real" data and also the "zero" data from the CX5003.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 09:02   #6

Boat: Catalina 470

I have several Maretron TLM100's - three for my fuel tanks, and four for my water tanks. I've had issues with inconsistent readings, but recently upgraded the firmware and they seem much improved.

Full disclosure, I work for Maretron, just not on these specific devices.
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 13:48   #7
bmz

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
I have several Maretron TLM100's - three for my fuel tanks, and four for my water tanks. I've had issues with inconsistent readings, but recently upgraded the firmware and they seem much improved.

I have that problem with my TLM100, how do I update the firmware?
bmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 14:05   #8

Boat: Swan 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post

I have four ultrasonic Maretron for water, three for fuel and one for blk wtr. One water tank occasionally gives "no instance 3 reading" Should I change the sensor?
Hermia II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 17:30   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmz View Post
I have that problem with my TLM100, how do I update the firmware?
This firmware version will be released in the next official build of N2K Analyzer. If you already have a prior version of N2K Analyzer, and a USB100 or IPG100, send an email to marine.support@carlingtech.com, tell them that you need the new TLM100 firmware. I’ll let them know to expect your email, and work with them to get it to you.

Regards,
David
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Old 09-10-2021, 06:22   #10
bmz

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

Thank you very much. I don't have the analyzer, I have previously used Tidewater Marine in Baltimore( I live near there now) to set my TLM 100. Bill, the electronics wizard partner, had all the equipment and expertise. However, during Covid Tidewater went under. I have been looking for Bill, or a replacement, all year long. Perhaps Maretron might have his new location or another dealer around Baltimore who can do this work.

Phil
bmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 12:37   #11

Boat: Hylas 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOffice View Post
Looking to add fuel gauges to my fuel and water tanks. I've used KUS senders and a gauge in the past, but I'd like to connect the sender directly to the NMEA backbone without installing a sensor and converter.

Does anyone have any experience with any of these?
https://www.defender.com/category.js...-1|344|2028701

I recently installed the Maretron senders in two of the fuel tanks on my H54. I also purchased their USB gateway so I could program them myself. They did not read as consistently as I hoped even when anchored in flat water. I went back and added focus tubes, which has improved the readings a lot. With the focus tubes, I am happy with the senders, now I just need to make some careful calibrations as my tanks are not a regular shape and 1" at the bottom is not the same volume as 1" at the top.

Also, the sensors have a 2 inch dead band, that is, they cannot read within 2 inches of the sensor. Maretron sells focus tubes that raise the sensor 2 inches to deal with the dead band, but in my case I did not have enough space above the tank to use them. I would get these if you have the space.
jt11791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 12:48   #12

JT and others
Thanks
Joel
Old 09-10-2021, 13:41   #13
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I have a question about the CX5003. I notice it has dedicated terminals for various inputs; fuel tank 1, fuel tank 2, water tank 1, etc.

What happens when you only populate some of the inputs? For example, say I wanted to use it for only fuel and water tanks. Would my NMEA 2000 devices be seeing "zero" data for all the other values, such as engine water pressure, rudder angle, etc.?

I'm concerned because I already have other NMEA 2000 sensors sending various data. I don't want my MFD and other devices confused by seeing the "real" data and also the "zero" data from the CX5003.

The cx5003 will only transmit from ports that resolve to correct data. If there no connection there is no data.

The issue of multiple senders sending the same NMEA 2000 PGNs , raised an issue generally called “ source select “ an area where NMEA did not demand be supported , on the early days this lead to confusion amongst display units as to which one to display.

By and large the modern units and or older ones with undated firmware correctly implement source select so you can read the appropriate PGN and ignore the unwanted ones. However on occasion the problem raises its head.
Old 09-10-2021, 15:39   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmz View Post
Thank you very much. I don't have the analyzer, I have previously used Tidewater Marine in Baltimore( I live near there now) to set my TLM 100. Bill, the electronics wizard partner, had all the equipment and expertise. However, during Covid Tidewater went under. I have been looking for Bill, or a replacement, all year long. Perhaps Maretron might have his new location or another dealer around Baltimore who can do this work.

Phil
Hi Phil,

The N2K Analyzer software is free, but you do need a USB100 or IPG100 in order to connect to the network. Maretron tech support may be able to reconnect you with Bill, but I can’t say for sure. Give them a shout, and we’ll do what we can to get you squared away.

Regards,
David.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

Tags
fuel, nmea, nmea 2000