Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2019, 15:54   #16

Re: No more Perko for me - Bad customer service

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
I do not think the build quality is the issue.

I think the way OP was handled could have been better, but personally do not have the same high expectations they did.

BEP, Marinco, Blue Sea certainly are standing by, but do they spend the money it takes for stellar "kid gloves" CS?

I think lower margins are squeezing that aspect in most market segments, the customers' desire for top service and lowest price are inherently mutually exclusive.
Well then just to make my post a bit clearer......I have used Perko for years without any problems, and will continue to do so until I do.....

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 11:53   #17
Marine Service Provider

We came upon this thread on Cruisers & Sailing Forums from Pamlico Traveler. It talked about a Perko battery switch with melted terminals, and the bad customer service received after returning it to us for evaluation.

We looked into the details. Unfortunately, Pamlico Traveler is right. Our customer service was terrible. It does not matter whether a switch was defective, installed incorrectly, or even damaged by a condition external to the switch. Customers deserve courteous, professional, fully explained answers to questions, something Pamlico Traveler did not get from us. For that, we are sorry.

We make all of our products in house, right here in America. For decades we have struggled to compete with imports selling for half our price. We did not expect to see complacency in an environment where customer service employees know there are daily threats to sales. We were not paying close enough attention.

Thank you, Pamlico Traveler, for taking the extra time to voice your opinions. We have taken steps to assure that no one else receives the treatment we subjected you to. We hope you accept our apology.
Perko Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 13:55   #18
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Well done, kudos.

I hope systemic / process changes that will yield permanent results.

Perhaps if satisfied, the OP could post a final report, maybe even have the title edited.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 16:39   #19

Boat: 1988 Wilbur 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perko Inc. View Post
We came upon this thread on Cruisers & Sailing Forums from Pamlico Traveler. It talked about a Perko battery switch with melted terminals, and the bad customer service received after returning it to us for evaluation.

We looked into the details. Unfortunately, Pamlico Traveler is right. Our customer service was terrible. It does not matter whether a switch was defective, installed incorrectly, or even damaged by a condition external to the switch. Customers deserve courteous, professional, fully explained answers to questions, something Pamlico Traveler did not get from us. For that, we are sorry.

We make all of our products in house, right here in America. For decades we have struggled to compete with imports selling for half our price. We did not expect to see complacency in an environment where customer service employees know there are daily threats to sales. We were not paying close enough attention.

Thank you, Pamlico Traveler, for taking the extra time to voice your opinions. We have taken steps to assure that no one else receives the treatment we subjected you to. We hope you accept our apology.
From my point of view, this response could not have been better. A shame no one had been paying attention before it came to this. What I'm wondering now: will Perko produce a door lock that is better than the current chrome plated junk?
Seighlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 03:02   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seighlor View Post
From my point of view, this response could not have been better. A shame no one had been paying attention before it came to this. What I'm wondering now: will Perko produce a door lock that is better than the current chrome plated junk?

Well, something has changed then because my door hardware is 32 yrs old and is in excellent condition, works well and shows zero wear.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 03:39   #21

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Well, something has changed then because my door hardware is 32 yrs old and is in excellent condition, works well and shows zero wear.
The difference could be chrome plate over bronze or brass, and chrome plate over zinc diecast.

I have a very old 1970 37 foot Egg Harbor cruiser, and some of the items are loosing the chrome plating , but underneath is bronze or brass and it is holding up fine. But I do have some diecast and it pits, cracks corrodes. Oddly some of the forward rail supports may be chrome plated dicast base metal and some are bronze. But today all that stuff is 316ss.

The worst part is the one at the bow which joins 1" rail to 1" rail and also has a little post for a flag, and has a bow light facing forward, which I would have liked to replace, but have never seen one like it anywhere. Not sure but maybe its a forward white running light or maybe an anchor type light. I wired it so it comes on with the anchor light.

I actually like the bronze look on the cleats and rail bases.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 05:44   #22

Boat: 1988 Wilbur 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
It appears that "back in the day" they did it right. My door locks are 31 years old, appear to be chrome over zinc. They've already been replaced once and need to be replaced again. I've delayed replacement hoping to find a better product.
Seighlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 15:24   #23

Boat: Cabo Rico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perko Inc. View Post

We looked into the details. Unfortunately, Pamlico Traveler is right. Our customer service was terrible. It does not matter whether a switch was...….
Thank you for this replay and explanation. I think this explains that this is not a corporate problem, but an isolated one, possibly by someone having a bad day.

In any event the response is very nice and much appreciated.
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service