Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2014, 15:29   #16

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: No power to engine panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
The fuse block has four permanent fuses in it. As someone else suggested I'll put a meter across them and double check them rather than just view them. I doubt it's got anything to do with the fuse block as I tried each fuse and got no power on any of them. Relay is easiy to get in and out so I'll check that too.
It appears to be a solitary fuse?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 15:36   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Emmalina seems to know something about it?
Old 01-11-2014, 15:36   #18

Re: No Power to Engine Panel

Quote:
...The main engine harness is a single plus in, can't really get that wrong as it only goes in one way.
Painting & grounding could well be the issue. But anytime I hear :single PLUG (sic) in..." I suggest you carefully inspect and in most cases replace the plugs with hard connections. Many boat builders used trailer connections for entire wire harness. The connectors are the proverbial weak link. Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 15:41   #19

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag

If the area where the started is attached to the block is painted, the starter will not complete the electrical circuit. A small gauge wire runs from the ignition switch to the solenoid. When I replaced my starter I accidentally broke the wire that powered the instrument panel and ignition switch. When I fixed that wire the engine started but the tachometer did not work. I thought it was the alternator and had it tested. The alternator tested okay. The fix was to replace a fuel switch that activated the output of the alternator. If you do not have a meter, you can test a circuit using a 12v bulb. I do not like electrical problems.
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 15:49   #20

One thing to try is to open, clean and resecure the multi wire connector. I've had those cause just that issue before... albeit wasn't a Yanmar....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 15:49   #21

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
It's like a see through plastic block with four permanent fuses. When one blows you plug the wire into the next. When all four have gone you buy a new block. All four of mine look fine though.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 16:04   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by scallywag View Post
Is not the solenoid grounded to the starter which is bolted onto the engine block? Was the area where the starter is bolted on to the block painted?
As you and I remember the solenoid is grounded to the starter. There are two wiring diagrams for his engine. One shows more than one wire to the solenoid? No description of the relay workings? Can you remember the solenoids not even mounted to the starter? They required a ground.
Old 01-11-2014, 23:21   #23

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Well, after checking both earths were nicely ground, and a nice young electrician who was working on his boat next to mine came and ran a multi meter over all the connections, I decided to move an earth wire on the back of the alternator, to a different negative post, my Reece Martin has two negative posts, and it worked. Neither of us could work out why, but moving this wire gave power to my instruments immediately and allows the switch to power the starter.

This wire appeared to be the only wire available that I may have out back wrong. And it made a huge difference.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:50   #24

Quote:

Well, after checking both earths were nicely ground, and a nice young electrician who was working on his boat next to mine came and ran a multi meter over all the connections, I decided to move an earth wire on the back of the alternator, to a different negative post, my Reece Martin has two negative posts, and it worked. Neither of us could work out why, but moving this wire gave power to my instruments immediately and allows the switch to power the starter.

This wire appeared to be the only wire available that I may have out back wrong. And it made a huge difference.

Tags
engine