Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2018, 03:35   #16

Re: Noisy generator

@OldGreyB That's great, thanks again. I'm back home just now but out to the boat again in a couple of weeks so that gives me plenty to try.

Just to clarify my earlier post about moving the generator, I had meant pulling it forward within it's shell. So with the sides off had just pulled on the exhaust elbow to move it towards the front of the shell - so possibly issue is with one of the rear mounts which were harder to examine.

The generator base pad and shell are attached to the wooden board. The board is then attached to the floor with the allen key headed bolts. If I can get those bolts off then it should all be a lot easier, as I could move/raise the whole lot as needed.

@ranger42c The front ones were tight. Will check the rear ones when I'm back.
terah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 00:04   #17

Re: Noisy generator

A little update on this.

I was quoted 1500 euros in Venice to fix the mounts, which would involve completely removing the generator from the boat. Alternatively for 900 euros they could do a quick fix which might not last.

I declined.

We stopped in Veruda, Croatia to get some help with our arch, and the guy looking at it (Rajko) had a quick look at the generator. All the mounts were fine, the issue was that the bottom of the air intake was vibrating against the frame of the clam shell. For 40 euros he diagnosed it and re-positioned the clam shell as a temporary solution.

This worked to start with, but a bit of a rattle came back. In the end, I just wedged a bit of plastic in between the air intake and the foam of the clam shell. Generator is now at an entirely acceptable sound level.

We haul out in 6 weeks time so will pull the entire shell apart, re-position it properly, and fit another set of isolation mounts under the board.
terah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator