Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2008, 16:02   #16

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
You really have to look at the BIG picture that you're creating power for something just passing by.......
If it does make noise, no matter what make or model you have, Just look at it
As the sound of money being made.....you'll get used to it really fast!
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2008, 16:52   #17

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
I love the sound of my KISS. Gets so you can tell the windspeed from the hum. Randyonr3 is right, it's POWER!!!
Old 05-08-2008, 19:09   #18

Boat: Beneteau First 38
I have an Ampair 100, Ampair microwind, microhydro, and small wind power systems. and I have been asked numerous time if my wind generator is working or comments of it being the quietest wind generator they've never heard.

I am starting to get a noise from it, and I believe it is a bearing starting to go away, but it only shows up on the lower wind speed.

I would purchase another in a heart beat, I have recently purchased parts online and had great service.

Cheers
I'm fighting currents to get back to you, listening to the flow of your liquid language as you beckon me, "Come Play"
Mariners Cove, CI. Anonymous.
Caribsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 19:14   #19

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
I'e got an Air-Xthat I use to charge the 12v. circuit underway that powers the electronics. It is not quiet but does supply the 12v. batteries well. At anchor, I use the diesel genset to keep the batteries up and the neighbors happy.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 19:34   #20
Eternal Member

Here's another vote for the Ampair 100. They don't put out as much juice as many others, but they are QUIET and RELIABLE. Glad to share an anchorage anytime with one :-)

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 23:36   #21
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beausoleil View Post
The new model from Southwest Windpower, the Air Breeze Marine, which replaces the Air-X Marine, has slightly modified blades which are supposed to decrease noise quite a bit, and perform better in lower winds. Practical Sailor tested a pre-production model in July 2007, and it was the second-best performer. Their only concern was whether the production model would live up to the performance of the test model...

FWIW - I'm ordering the Air Breeze today... I need someone to make me feel good about it...
I can make you feel good here
On my Fastcat 435 demonstrator we used to have 2 x Air X and one of these 2 has no been replaced with the new air breeze.
The amount of noise is slightly less from the Air breeze but the big difference is the type of noise. When having a drink at 8 ft distance from these wind generators I switch of the air x while the air breeze can keep on humming, the noise does not bother us. The start up speed is at wind force 2 while the air x only started up at force 4
In strong wind conditions the air delivers more power , but I will change the air x shortly for an Air breeze , that should tell you all.

Greetings

Gideon

p.s.

In our later produced boats we mount one air Breeze on top of the mast and the second unit on the davits in the rear.
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 11:18   #22

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"
I must have done something(else) wrong........

My new in '07 AirX marine makes a noise like a strong wind, a sort of swisssssshhhhhhh if you will.

Some other types I have heard DO sound like an aircraft taking off but I think AirX has done all that can be done with the new blades to make them quiet and still make electricity.

I will give you that they don't start as soon as some other types of generators.

Perhaps some people are more sensitive to noise than I am but with all the halyards banging and one boat with a roller furling main mast that moans loudly in any kind of breeze I can hardly hear any of the 3 AirX's on our dock.

I do find that one is a bit low for my taste so I give it a wide berth when the boat is stern in.

My only fear is getting my fishing gear tangled in the blade on the very slight chance I ever actually catch anything from my boat.

In the wind from TS Edourd which wasn't really all that much(35kt tops) I was making between 11 and 14 amps which is a tad better than I can get out of MY little Honda.

I like mine mostly because it works and I don't HAVE to use gas or diesel to charge up my batteries.

I do have very limited power requirments though.

I don't have/need a/c or a big tv or the dozens of other gadgets that seem so prevalent on the larger boats that are now "required" for cruising.

I do have lights, stereo, vhf, gps, fridge/freezer, pressure water and a laptop all running off 2 160Ah AGM Lifeline batteries. The starting battery is seperate from the house and is kept up by a 32watt flexible solar panel and of course the engine altenator if I'm running the engine.

I guess not having such a large carbon footprint is all the rage today. I can't think how mine could get any smaller though without pulling out my engine.............m
Old 07-08-2008, 19:49   #23

Boat: Hughes 38 Thalia
Hi I've had an Air wind gen since '96, on it's 3rd blown module they upgraded it to an X, oddly enough it isn't nearly as noisy as most. But at 30 kts it wails as the blades deflect. I've no experience with their Breeze, but heaps of experience with the KISS, buy the KISS it has almost twice the output at 15 kts, dead simple and quiet. Doug builds the best marine wind gen on the market in my opinion. Batteries, golf carts are the cheapest true deep cycle amps/dollar on the market, but if you can't/won't equalize them you'll never get the full life out of them. So maybe buy AGMs or build a charge controller and equalize while motorsailing. We all do it eventually. Good luck George
George Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2008, 03:27   #24
Marine Service Provider

Having used an Aquair 100 on a recent trip, I'd go for this set up again.

Used as a towed generator when sailing it produced over 8Amps most of the time allowing the running of everything electrical we had. The fridge was always cold. It did 10,000nm in one year!

At anchor it could be hoisted abover the boom or in the fore triangle and it was very quiet in 25knts website is here.
http://www.boost-energy.com/ampair/p...s_product4.asp
4HMainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2008, 05:05   #25

Boat: 1967 Starcraft 16' - 1961 Mercury 70hp
D400

http://islandwaterworld.com/catalogue/page181.htm

Anyone have first hand experience with the Eclectic D400?
I have read some good reviews. It was rated as one of the most quiet.
Expensive.
tyrntlzrdking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2008, 07:15   #26

Boat: Privilege 37
D400 is a version derived from the Duogen (a combined wind/towed generator fitted in a lot of ARC boats, but expensive)

This one is wind only. It is heavy and has very big blades. Thus the blades are not turning that fast (the major source of noise). It has a very good output. But not for a small boat (it really is heavy)
Old 24-08-2008, 23:55   #27

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
I have the Rutland 913 on my boat and it is very quiet,everyone around me also notice how silent it is.Not sure how power output compares,works for me.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 00:33   #28

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
GRRrrrr, bloody airmarine things.

A few years back we were followed by a cat for over 1000 miles of coastal hops that had two of them on board and insisted on parking near us, probably a close to shore good spot thing.

In the end we just started anchoring out or pulling up the pick, giving filthy looks and going somewhere else for some quiet.

It'll be a little Honda, Kipor or similar for me

Dave
Old 25-08-2008, 09:04   #29

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
It amazes me how a little hum from green energy bothers people so much.What about all the powerboaters with their generators running for hours on end.People are constantly buzzing back and forth in their little RIBs and so forth.Burning gasoline for a bit of power seems crazy to me when there are alternatives.I lived off the grid past Whistler for 15 yrs.,making my own hydro with a turbine.Now I live on my boat with the same philosophy.Some wind gennys are definately noisy,but the air,and water is cleaner.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 14:53   #30

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by highseas View Post
It amazes me how a little hum from green energy bothers people so much.What about all the powerboaters with their generators running for hours on end.People are constantly buzzing back and forth in their little RIBs and so forth.Burning gasoline for a bit of power seems crazy to me when there are alternatives.I lived off the grid past Whistler for 15 yrs.,making my own hydro with a turbine.Now I live on my boat with the same philosophy.Some wind gennys are definately noisy,but the air,and water is cleaner.
If I wanted to relive a scene from "Appocolypse Now" I would have gone to the Gold Coast, plenty of choppers overhead there.

These were pristine areas we were at and all we could hear was blades roaring at every waking moment.

Much prefer a quiet genny for an hour a day. The small Hondas are very quiet and if in a ventilated Lazarete, almost cant hear them.

+ I can run powertools from them as well.

Dave

Tags
noise