Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2008, 16:26   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
I spent some time with my fourwinds down there too. Got up to 185 knots one night! (Ivan)
camaraderie, some may say you are exaggerating with 185 in Ivan. But you are not. My boat (not me) was on the hard in Grenada 2004 with Ivan and I was lucky. She did not topple like 95% of the other ones did. A British warship had been close to Grenada and reported gusts up to 165. But they were outside with a little bit more steady wind. Inside they had small tornados inside Ivan.
I expect the KISS and all the others with wider blades to do better in the 10 knots range than the Airs. But in the Caribbean the Air X has very good output, and with the new silent blades this machine on that spot – for me and my point of view - is just great, even if I might have a different one in a different area.
Old 22-10-2008, 07:33   #77

ComingSoon...actually it was two US Coasties who were aboard that ship (sub rosa) that gave us the 185kt measure....small world. They helped us a great deal in the aftermath and looting.
I actually have no idea what the wind was...it was way over 150 though as it looked like a wall of white as the big stuff swept across the lagoon and knocked everyhing over at once. We could well have been inside a tornado at that time. (We were watching from land). Saw a Lagoon 47 fly at anchor before flipping!!
I assume you were at Spice or Grenada Marine. What a disaster at spice...looked like Mt. St. Helen's with all the trees down! Grenada Marine was hit less hard but I'm sure that was no consolation to those who did lose boats. We were both quite lucky it seems!
Back to wind turbines.....

camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2008, 03:34   #78

Air + 30 knots

I am still monitoring the reports from our friends at the SSCA forum (energy section). Air+ blades on Air X machines seem to promise good money to value relation even in the 30 knots range.
Old 13-12-2008, 04:51   #79

Boat: 41 Morgan OI, Loose Change
I had an Air X and was happy. Yes, it was noisy. After weathering Ike, I contacted the manufacturer and learned you can upgrade the AirX to the newer whisper. They sent me everything except the tail casing and stater to upgrade the unit. The difference was fantastic! When I first fired the upgraded unit up, I thought there was a malfuntion because of the difference in noise level. Does it make noise, yes. Is it louder than the wind in the rigging? NO. It makes a very hard to hear whooshing sound. It starts charging as about 6 to 7 MPH winds and no longer does that stall growl when the wind gets to more than 30. If you have an Air X, the upgrade package is about $300. It comes with new blades, hub, rotor and controller. It is a remarkable difference.

Now the down side, I had the Air X version long enough to judge the wind speed by the noise it made. Now I have to relearn to estimate the wind using a different method. I guess I can live with that.

Steve
sailcapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2008, 21:58   #80

Boat: Allied Princess 36'
Check this out, as soon as I can save up I am going to buy this setup. Wind and Solar combo for $1299.00--700 watt generator with a 135 watt solar panel.
Applied Magnets
Martinini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2008, 13:00   #81

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinini View Post
Check this out, as soon as I can save up I am going to buy this setup. Wind and Solar combo for $1299.00--700 watt generator with a 135 watt solar panel.
Applied Magnets

They have a
Wind/solar hybrid controller can support combined wind generator load & solar load up to 850w

Could this be the answer to problems that people have when they have both at the same time and only one is "recognized" by the controller? I have read some of the issues and there has never been a confirmed answer.

Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2008, 15:39   #82

Boat: Allied Princess 36'
Good question. E-Mail them and ask, they have been pretty good about getting back to me to answer my questions.
Martinini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2008, 19:11   #83

Boat: Bristol (Alden) 35 Sloop "Zephyr"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
And just a little funny,
We settled into this older marina for the summer. very few sailboats up here as were about 70 miles inland from the bay on the river.. an older "drunk" gentelman asked about the wind generator one day as I leave it spinning. wondering if infact that it would reduce the power bill.
I told him that not only did it reduce the power bill but in a good wind, it would make the meter run backwards and they would pay me to stay here...
The story got around the dock and now every drunk in the area is talking about getting one............
That reminds me when I was at a fuel dock, with my wind gen spinning, on a pole at the stern. A dock walker, asked me what the "windmill" was for. I explained, that when the wind died, I turned the fan on, and just kept sailing! He thought it was a great idea.
over40pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2008, 20:42   #84

Boat: 36ft one off trimiran
Iam just now installing an airX marine my question is can i tap into my main electrical line from my outboard to the house bank?i also have two 40 watt solar panels which are connected to the switch board via a regulator i have read somewhere that the wind generator may read the solar panel and shut down prematurely has anybody ever had this happen to them and if so how did they remedy it
trinescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2008, 09:17   #85

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
Don't have one yet, but for the last few years and still now, my money is on the KISS. Quiet, and puts out good amps in light start up winds. Here in Corpus Christi, the average wind speed is 10-12 knts, and the kiss out performs the rest while keeping the sound very managable.

I agree with others, the small amount of sound is worth what it will give you.

Bob
bobfnbw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noise