Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2008, 05:14   #1

Northern Lights exhaust failure

I have a 9kw NL which has 3500 flawless hours on it. Until now. The casting in the exhaust circuit cracked and flooded the generator. I am now in the process of shipping a new one down to Curacao. NL is denying any problems with the casting. Has anyone had any experience with this and is there an aftermarket solution for the replacement part that might not fall apart?
north stand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2008, 05:29   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
What is your NL Model Number?

Northern Lights Starting Instructions caution:

“... Excessive cranking of the starter on sets equipped with a water lift muffler can cause engine damage.
If the engine does not start after three 20- second cranks, remove the impeller from the water pump">raw water pump. This will prevent the muffler from filling with water and backfilling the exhaust line and engine. Once the engine starts, shut it off immediately and re-install the impeller.
Re-start the engine and check the exhaust overboard outlet for gushes of water...”

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2008, 12:56   #3

If you can send or post pictures of the failure I can render an opinion.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2008, 19:34   #4
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
I replaced one about a month ago....It had a crack running the length of it.....
It had been "going bad for a while as there was extensive rust buildup on the inside.

On thought that I had was mabe the water injection nipple was put in too tight and with teflon tape (it showed). Osco, for example says NOT to use Teflon on that fitting.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 04:04   #5

Thanks all. The model is an M773LK 9KW genset. The part is a cast iron elbow (part# 27-32003) above the back end. And yes, it had been "going bad" for a while. It was cracked it's entire length. Unfortunately, that side of the genset is right up against the hull starboard side and I never saw any leakage or rust build up during routine maintenance. It sounds like there might be an aftermarket stainless part available. Any help in locating one would be appreciated. This has been a shockingly (so to speak) expensive design/manufacturing flaw and failure. Evidently it's not unknown to happen and I wish NL had posted or sent warnings out.
north stand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust, Northern Lights