Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2023, 05:22   #1

Boat: Vagabond 42
Northern Lights issues

I have 5.6kw NL generator with 2000 hours. It has been PERFECT until this trip. I cranked the gen set in St Maarten and sailed to Anguilla. The gen set shut down after about 12 hours. It wasn't hot so I changed the Racor secondary filter (R12S spin on) and it cranked right back up. It ran great about another 12 hours and shut down again. I thought that tank might be contaminated to I changed tanks. 12 hours later... shut down again. I only had 6 spare Racors on board and am now down to one. I have tried all 3 tanks. The fuel looks pristine and clean. I had all three tanks opened up, cleaned and the fuel polished over the summer. This morning I tried putting one of the previously used Racors back on and it has been running for more than 2 hours. I'm stumped. Any ideas what is going on?
callistov42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2023, 05:29   #2
NBs

Boat: NT37
Re: Northern Lights issues

I think it is air leak may be new filter between housing.

Second think may be air in line, Did you remove the hand lever of the air fuel pump, sometimes you have to remove the air from each nozzle, by opening the nozzles from the block one after the other and check that there are no bubbles.

You can read more trouble shoting ovners manual

https://www.northern-lights.com/tech...ation/manuals/

Regards

Nbs
NBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2023, 06:07   #3

I just had the same issue and changed 21 o-rings and gaskets on my fuel manifold and racor housing. Not it runs perfectly.
Lisa Longshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2023, 13:38   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistov42 View Post
I have 5.6kw NL generator with 2000 hours. It has been PERFECT until this trip. I cranked the gen set in St Maarten and sailed to Anguilla. The gen set shut down after about 12 hours. It wasn't hot so I changed the Racor secondary filter (R12S spin on) and it cranked right back up. It ran great about another 12 hours and shut down again. I thought that tank might be contaminated to I changed tanks. 12 hours later... shut down again. I only had 6 spare Racors on board and am now down to one. I have tried all 3 tanks. The fuel looks pristine and clean. I had all three tanks opened up, cleaned and the fuel polished over the summer. This morning I tried putting one of the previously used Racors back on and it has been running for more than 2 hours. I'm stumped. Any ideas what is going on?

Usually the Primary filter is a brand like Racor and often 10 - 30 micron but the engine mounted filter is usually a finer particle filtration and often overlooked.
Yes, air in the fuel from a suction leak is very likely and NL’s have a self bleeding fuel system which works very well unless the suction leak becomes too great for the purge system
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2023, 18:11   #5

Boat: Nordhavn 40 II

We have a circuit breaker, 15a, on the generator wiring box. I understand they are a high-failure item, and the part has been revised on newer units.

I just replaced ours on the 9kw NL as we had several un commanded shutdowns. All of the other sensors, relays, and wiring checked out.

Perhaps consider replacing it with a spare. If you don't have a spare, you can use a 15a fuse (cover with tape) for troubleshooting purposes.

Good Luck
IRENE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Northern Lights