Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2021, 23:15   #46

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Not another portable generator thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneDiving View Post
For the unwashed, what's the benefits of propane for small engines? I know it's popular in the US but basically unheard of here. Is it a cost/availability thing there only or are there benefits that translate elsewhere?

If it matters, I'm in Australia but looking to travel around Asia

Thanks
I infinite fuel life and storage. Starts every time. No carburetor problems.

Spark plugs last forever, less air pollution and less carbon monoxide

If propane was available dockside, I’d run my entire boat off it.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 23:59   #47

Boat: Jeanneau 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post

If propane was available dockside, I’d run my entire boat off it.
How much of an output hit does it take? I wish these ones had the two tank storage.
Letterkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 02:06   #48

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Not sure if it's a terminology thing but I can't find alykyd chain saw fuel online. Does it go by another name?

How much does that cost per gallon and where do you buy it?

I don't recall ever seeing it at a marina fuel dock, so you are back to is it a pain to find while out cruising.

Sorry, my fault -- it's alkylate, not alkyd. See here: https://www.aspenfuels.com/knowledge...kylate-petrol/

and here:

https://www.neste.com/products/all-p...ylate-gasoline

I haven't seen it sold at marinas; I buy mine at construction materials shops.

Marinas SHOULD sell it; I'm sure they would do a good business in it. It's ideal dinghy fuel for those of us with small outboards with tiny jets.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 03:20   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
You can also use alkyd alkylate chain saw fuel. Infinite storage life and won't gum up the carb. I'm using this in my outboard now.
Interesting.
”What is alkylate petrol?” ~ by Aspen Fuels*
https://www.aspenfuels.com/knowledge...kylate-petrol/

* Aspen is a Swedish company [owned by Lantmännen] that invented alkylate petrol.
Aspen’s two main products are called Aspen 2 and Aspen 4. Aspen 2 is generally used in two-stroke engines, and Aspen 4 in four-stroke engines.
There are a number of other important reasons these fuels shouldn’t be mixed at random. One such reason is that Aspen 2 features two per cent fully synthetic engine oil content. Most two-stroke engines are designed to run on fuel in which a few per cent of the total volume is made up of oil, to act as a lubricant. However, in four-stroke engines, the lubricant for the engine usually comes from a separate oil sump. If you’re not sure whether your engine is a two-stroke or four-stroke model, check whether there’s a separate oil sump or dipstick. If there is, you have a four-stroke engine, and so should use Aspen 4.
These kinds of rules of thumb are always a handy resource, however, every rule has its exceptions, and so does this. That is to say, there are two-stroke engines with a separate oil tank and for these Aspen 4 must be used.
In addition to Aspen 2 and Aspen 4, we also have a number of other products in the Aspen range.
Aspen D is a diesel fuel in which 90% of the hydrocarbon content is from renewable sources. Aspen D can be stored for three to four times longer than standard Swedish or European diesel. Aspen D is manufactured primarily for small diesel engines with simple or no emission control systems.
Aspen+ is designed for those looking for maximum performance. It can be used in cars, motorbikes, go-karts and boats. Even quality and density allow for engine fine-tuning. Aspen+ can endure long-term storage and is virtually free of benzene and other aromatics.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 05:27   #50

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
For the unwashed, what's the benefits of propane for small engines? I know it's popular in the US but basically unheard of here. Is it a cost/availability thing there only or are there benefits that translate elsewhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post

Plus many places in the U.S. only allow an ethanol/gasoline mixture, and ethanol invites phase separation and attracts water. Typical small-engine carburetors seem to be particularly sensitive to fouling from all that.

Long-term gasoline storage isn't usually all that great, even with aftermarket additives.

There are work-arounds, but propane just seems easier...

-Chris
Old 28-02-2021, 19:38   #51

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:

If it matters, I'm in Australia but looking to travel around Asia

Thanks

1) Propane remains usable as a fuel indefinitely (well, for the life of the container it is in, anyway) unlike gasoline and diesel which deteriorate with storage.

2) It can reduce the number of types of fuel that have to be carried. This is particularly a consideration for travel trailers, where propane is usually the only fuel aboard.

3) Propane fuel systems generally have better long-term reliability and lower maintenance costs than carbureted gasoline engines.

4) Because propane boils at -40 degrees, any spillage vaporizes and does not pose a cleanup problem or enduring fire hazard. Once shut down and disconnected from the fuel source, propane engines have very little fuel residue, much less than gasoline engines. This simplifies storage.

5) For standby uses where a good deal of fuel must be stored, propane can be stored in underground tanks without significant environmental risks, fire risks, or permitting and insurance costs.

That said I would not have one on a boat
Old 19-03-2021, 00:23   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankly View Post
I made this mod to a EU2000 years back. Not for any marine application but to allow for larger fuel supply and ability to run the carb dry (the original Honda had no fuel shut off).

Just disconnect the fuel line from the original tank and connect to the new outboard fitting.

Frankly
What’s the process for making this? I think this would work well for my plan. I will have a nice vented locker that I would like to keep an external fuel tank to use for the dinghy and the generator and would ultimately like to use the external tank to allow me not to leave any gas in the actual generator so I can Saftey store it below deck or in a waterproof unvented locker.
Old 19-03-2021, 06:25   #53

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB

Open up plastic generator case ( probably U tube if you need help), West Marine for gas tank fitting, autoparts store for ell and hose adaptor, teflon tape, and have at it. There is a little in line filter that just sits in the end of the fuel line. Catch the remaining fuel from the internal tank.

With some copper tube, I made a wand to use a 5 gal can (yes I know yellow is Diesel). On a boat you could just use the outboard supply. I made that mod 12 or 13 years ago, put it to good use after Hurricane Michael kicked us in the teeth. Fueled it up every morning and ran till dark for over a week. In addition to the house, used the little Honda to run an electric chain saw to cut my way out to the the street. I can't say enough positive things about that Honda. Crank it up 3 or 4 times a year, just bought a new squeeze bulb last week. Alcohol fuel takes a toll on eyerything plastic.

Frankly
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2021, 10:52   #54

Quote:
Open up plastic generator case ( probably U tube if you need help), West Marine for gas tank fitting, autoparts store for ell and hose adaptor, teflon tape, and have at it. There is a little in line filter that just sits in the end of the fuel line. Catch the remaining fuel from the internal tank.

With some copper tube, I made a wand to use a 5 gal can (yes I know yellow is Diesel). On a boat you could just use the outboard supply. I made that mod 12 or 13 years ago, put it to good use after Hurricane Michael kicked us in the teeth. Fueled it up every morning and ran till dark for over a week. In addition to the house, used the little Honda to run an electric chain saw to cut my way out to the the street. I can't say enough positive things about that Honda. Crank it up 3 or 4 times a year, just bought a new squeeze bulb last week. Alcohol fuel takes a toll on eyerything plastic.

Frankly
Thanks. Seems like I can take this approach to keep fuel out of the actual generator so I can keep it below decks.
Old 19-03-2021, 11:36   #55

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB

If you run the carburetor dry, keep the internal tank empty, CO should be your biggest worry.
You will be amazed how long it will run on eco mode on the fuel in the bowl.

Frankly
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2021, 12:53   #56

Quote:
If you run the carburetor dry, keep the internal tank empty, CO should be your biggest worry.
You will be amazed how long it will run on eco mode on the fuel in the bowl.

Frankly
Well that’s why I was looking for a way to not keep fuel in the internal tank so that I can keep the fuel in a vented locker that may get wet (but fine for just a tank) and keep the generator below deck. I’ll get a lot of CO sensors to cover me off from that perspective.
Old 21-04-2021, 12:00   #57

Thinking about this again here, if I hand pump out all the gas, let it run itself out with the remaining, and then let it vent with the cap off, would it be safe to store in the cabin space below?

Tags
generator