Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 17:39   #1

Boat: Leopard 45
Onan 5.5kva genset

Having difficulties locating cause of following problems which display as follows:

Genset starts easily from cold and will run endlessly on low load. The warmer it gets the less load it will take. Initially it will take fridge, charger, water heater - after 30 mins or so switching water heater, fridge or kettle (always does it) kills the genset.

After operating temperature reached, turn genset off and it will not restart and has to be left 3-4-5 hours to cool sufficiently to restart. In the interim it sounds as though it is frying to start on two cylinders. It will however continue to run so long as load not too heavy - which would suggest it is not overheating.

I have an earlier post re overheating which was eventually traced to the head being choked with a jelly like substance. The head and heat exchanger were taken off, blasted clean and that's Ok although I think it is running hotter than the temp gauge indicates (showing 60-70c which is below the 80c I thought was normal). Mechanic says not.

Ideas or advice welcome please.
nmit5903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:35   #2

Boat: Leopard 45
No answers and no solutions - so after endless hrs of Onan service engineers working on it - bit the bullet and replaced with a 7kva Kohler. Onan need never expect to have me as a customer again and I can never recommend them as a unit. Costly and difficult to service.
nmit5903 is offline   Reply With Quote