Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2024, 06:24   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450F
Onan generator error code 14 - high AC frequency

I have an MDKBK Onan diesel marine genset on my boat. It starts immediately but shuts down less than a second later with error code 14, a high AC frequency error. Before this error occurred genset has been running just fine and fuel filters are fresh,

Per the service manual I tested the governor actuator. The shaft is free and putting 12volts to the leads pulls the shaft in as expected. I've also tested continuity in the governor actuator leads.

The service manual suggests replacing the set controller PCB as the next step. Before I invest $1500 for a new board (what a crazy price....) anyone have other suggestions?

Thanks
dcareri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2024, 08:04   #2

Boat: Tayana 48DS 48'
Re: Onan generator error code 14 - high AC frequency

If the "set controller pcb" is what drives the governor, then the manual is likely to be right. Generators will usually start at high/full throttle, then quickly reduce to proper setting to maintain AC frequency. It sounds like your governor isn't getting the input to reduce throttle.
Of course, it could be a busted wire or something like that - I'm not at all familiar with your generator

Hartley
S/V Atsa
Hartleyg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, generator