Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2017, 10:34   #1

Boat: Northwind 50 - 50ft - Camille
Onan Genset problem

My Onan MDKAV (7.5KVA 2003 model) began not to start last autumn and the problem has increased such that it will now not start at all. I am satisfied that the motor side is working fine and have concluded that the control panel has failed.

New panel is around 2,000 dollars and not worth investing this in a 14 year old, but not much used genset. TI believe the motor is fine as is the generator so I am bypassing the control panel to run it the old fashioned way. I know I will not have the advantage of the Onan control panel monitoring of the various sensors but I can keep an eye on these. With direct wiring the motor now starts every time and is running smoothly if a bit faster than before.

Problem is the voltage is low. I think I need to get to the governor in order to set it at 1500 rpm (for 50 Hz in Europe). Do I also need to 'flash' the genset to start the field?

Advice would be appreciated.
Camille1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2017, 11:27   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Onan Genset problem

If it's a permanent magnet generator then you flash the field, but I doubt its a permanent magnet generator? At least the only ones I have flashed the field on were, Iike an old VW
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2017, 04:14   #3

Re: Onan Genset problem

Well I have the 12.5 MDKAW , and every thing is controlled by the the ECU board, also the volts , My voltage is controlled by the front panel switch after starting, The same switch has a light and flashes a code when it stops or wont start(actually pretty dam good)simple diagnostic tool, I can adjust the voltage either up or down using the start switch, so perhaps if your's is the same it may be worth putting back to original

Cheers Steve
Captsteve53 is offline   Reply With Quote