Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2013, 04:35   #1

Boat: Leopard 45
Onan v Kohler 7kva/kvw diesel generator?

I have narrowed my search for a new genset down to the Onan 6kva v Kohler 7kva 240/50hz diesel generators.

On the basis of power, noise and economy the Kohler, also being the lower reving unit, wins in my view. Both seem to have good service networks, Kohler maybe a little less expensive on parts etc.

Reliability is obviously a key feature and I have not been able to find any comments on this subject on either brand.

There is very little between the two in terms of price.

Recent experiences of the latest models of each welcomed please.
nmit5903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:44   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Onan v Kohler 7kva/kvw diesel generator?

I don't know which Onan you have in mind, but I can tell you always go with the low speed, heavy duty unit, over the high speed standby unit, if you can afford the cost, volume, and weight (all of which is much greater). The difference is night and day.

I have a Kohler 6.5EOFZ 6.5kW 230 volt generator on my boat, and I've been pleased with it. It's very, very quiet and produces very little vibration. If you spend a lot of time on board without shore power, like I do (my boat is on a mid-river mooring with no power), it's makes a huge difference in your daily life whether the daily generator run shakes the boat or not. My generator is so quiet that it is inaudible from outside the boat (and no splash since I have a water separator muffler), and hardly disturbs anyone inside.

The difference between low-speed and high speed generators is not just the volume of sound, but the tone -- the three-cylinder diesels in the low speed ones just lope along pleasantly, with none of the urgency of the high speed two-cylinder ones (I'm not even going to start on the one-lunger Kubotas and Farymanns in some other generators . . . ).

I would also look at Northern Lights, if I were you. I believe a cut above in terms of quality compared to Kohler, Onan, etc., although as I said, I have no particular complaints about my Kohler, which is a solid, reliable unit.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 05:11   #3

Good feedback. Thank you.

The new 7kva Kohler revs at 1500rpm and v quiet. .....I'm told.

It's smaller than my existing 5.5kva Onan which has had it. Not bad given its a 92 model although still only 2000 hrs on the clock.

The equivalent northern lights model is more expensive, larger and heavier. I don't have a lot of room in the engine room so have to pass on that.

The service network looks good for Kohler and parts are less expensive than Onan, who seem to think they can charge like a wounded bull and get away with it. That's my perception anyway.
Old 18-11-2013, 18:32   #4

Re: Onan v Kohler 7kva/kvw diesel generator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmit5903 View Post
I have narrowed my search for a new genset down to the Onan 6kva v Kohler 7kva 240/50hz diesel generators.
Heads up on a new Onan 7kva in Sydney

Cummins Onan 7KVA Marine Generator Genset in Sydney, NSW | eBay
Parmenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 13:46   #5

Have gone Kohler and so far so good - delighted with it. 7kva. Much much quieter than the old one . Can hardly hear it. Time will tell now.

Tags
diesel, generator