Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2022, 11:22   #1

Boat: B423
OPzV Batteries

Has anybody tried a bank of OPzV batteries on their boat? I read about them, recently, in a Victron document and they seem to have some advantages. Would love to hear if anyone has any experience with them.
clamshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2022, 11:47   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: OPzV Batteries

I am fan of gel batteries having experienced great life on good quality 12v gel batteries on previous yachts despite considerable abuse.

The 2v cells are reportedly considerably better again for deep cycle applications. I tried to order these with my current yacht, but logistics prevented the purchase going through.

Nowadays these batteries face heavy competition from lithium. There are advantages to lithium, but for KISS and reliability the 2v gel batteries still have appeal.

Dashew fitted these to his FPV series so you might find some information from this source.

If you do install them keep us informed.
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2022, 12:16   #3

Re: OPzV Batteries

2 volt OPzV and OPzS batteries are excellent for deep cycle applications. You can also get them in AGM but I'm not sure why you'd want to. I used those in a land-based application, but if you want to learn about them on boats then contact "klee wyck" who used them in his trawler, if I recall right. He's on the Trawlerforum and maybe on CF as well.
mako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries