Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2023, 15:26   #1

"Panic" switch for exterior lighting

I am designing a circuit for a 'panic' switch that will, when activated, energize the spreader lights, foredeck light, bow spot light, and stern spot light. Each of those four light circuits has its own switch that and can turn on/off independently of the others. The panic switch bypasses those four switches and sends power to all four circuits simultaneously.

My diagram has one major flaw that I don't know how to fix. Currently, when I turn on the panic switch, all four sets of lights illuminate. The problem is that, when I turn on one of the individual lights (i.e. the foredeck light), power is sent to the foredeck light AND to the Power Post, which then redirects power to the other three circuits, causing all of them to illuminate.

What is the correct way to wire this so that when I turn on one of the four exterior light circuits, only that circuit gets power, while also enabling a panic switch to bypass those four switches and illuminate all four of those exterior light circuits?

The current, flawed, diagram is attached.

Thanks y'all
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PanicDiagram.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	271437  
scherzoja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 15:39   #2

Boat: Dufour 29
Re: "Panic" switch for exterior lighting

Your plan ties together all of the lights at the switch, so powering one powers all. The easiest way to get around that is to have four switches tied together, so you flip them all with one motion. You could also use relays, but simple is more reliable.
Brioche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 15:47   #3

Or your panic switch would have to be wired through DIODES such that one light could not "feed back" to the others. They would all be a little less bright if using diode-based isolators, as voltage is reduced around .7 VDC.

Yes, there are more expensive diodes that do not charge a voltage drop.
Wolfe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 15:58   #4

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Diodes will work as mentioned. Or you can use relays in parallel with the normal switches (4 of them) and have the panic switch trigger all 4 relays. The relay approach would avoid the voltage drop from the diodes.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 15:58   #5

I have the four switches grouped so I can hit all with one swipe, but that is at the companionway. The panic switch will be in the vberth.

I thought about diodes figured that those might be the only choice. I think a .7 volt drop will not make much of a difference because the diode will be on the panic side.

Would I put the diodes on each of the jumpers that connect the terminal block screws with the power post so power does not flow to the power post?
Old 10-02-2023, 16:12   #6

Boat: '86 MacGregor 25

You could also wire the panic switch in series ahead of the other 4. This changes your procedure as a user though, during normal operation you leave the panic switch on and use the other 4 to control the lights. Then when you want the ‘panic’ function available (presumably before going to bed) you turn the 4 sub switches on and turn the panic switch off.
wyb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 16:18   #7

RE: Relays triggered by panic switch, would this diagram work?

wby2: That design requires me to think and remember and I'll forget. I need something that will work without my needing to activate it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Relays.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	271440  
Old 10-02-2023, 16:32   #8

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

We talked to another boat that had a panic switch in the v-berth. They had added a automotive flasher to the panic circuit so that the outside lights not only came on but also flashed making an intruder nervous that nearby boats would be alerted to a problem.
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 16:33   #9

Boat: '86 MacGregor 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by scherzoja View Post
RE: Relays triggered by panic switch, would this diagram work?

wby2: That design requires me to think and remember and I'll forget. I need something that will work without my needing to activate it.
That’s a great point, any process that relies on someone remembering to do something is inherently a somewhat unreliable process. Just throwing it out there.
wyb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 16:41   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
...added a automotive flasher...
That's interesting. Maybe I'll add the flasher to the bow/stern spot lights with the spreader/foredeck lights on with no flashers.
Old 10-02-2023, 16:47   #11

Boat: Shannon 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
We talked to another boat that had a panic switch in the v-berth. They had added a automotive flasher to the panic circuit so that the outside lights not only came on but also flashed making an intruder nervous that nearby boats would be alerted to a problem.
Why not add a Siren while you are at it?
jordanbigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 09:59   #12

I thought of a siren of some kind, but I have to rein myself because i sometimes go down rabbit holes of great ideas that don't necessarily need to be implemented.

I'll work on the four relays with a non-flashing circuit, leaving room for future expansion to include a siren and flasher.
Old 11-02-2023, 14:24   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

Ok it can be done but what exactly is the point?
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 16:00   #14

Boat: Shannon 50 Ketch

The way I'm reading this, the idea is that you are in bed, snug and cozy, at anchor, and thieves board your boat intent on robbing you. What do you do? I think the idea is to have a single switch, within reach of the bunk, which starts flashing lights to scare them away and avoid a confrontation. I think it is not a terrible idea, if you are cruising in areas where boarders are a real possibility, and there are places where that happens...

Is this what you have in mind scherzoja?

But personally, I think the siren is really going to put the fear of god in them, so to speak, and they will be off your boat in no time. The lights alone will probably work too. I do not plan to install something like this, I can get to my lights pretty quick, and I have a loud hailer I could use in such a scenario ("Get off my lawn you kids!").
jordanbigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 16:24   #15

Yep, that's about right. Or any other time I wish to quickly illuminate my immediate surroundings while keeping the interior dark. Since I'm in the middle of a rewire project, I though, "why not?" A few relays and a bit of extra wires and it's done.

I also wired up a 3-way circuit that energizes a series of 2 lumen aisle lights that are strategically placed fore and aft. A simple on/on toggle switch at each end and I can turn on or off the aisle lights from the v berth and from the companionway. Don't have to remember to reset a master switch. That was another, "oh what the hell, I'm already in the middle of this mess, I might as well add a few conveniences".

Jordan, the more I think about it, the more I like your idea about a siren. I just hate noise; however, a siren is an attention-getter.

Tags
lighting